People dont understand me by my speech

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Impenitent

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by Impenitent »

try proloquo2go or some other text to speech program...

-Imp
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

A_Seagull wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:03 am
gaffo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:48 am
A_Seagull wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:55 am

You are not alone. It is a common affliction of today's youth.

Practice enunciating clearly. Or listen to Richard Burton or Michael Caine.. they both enunciate clearly and Michael Caine has a subtle lilt to his voice which makes it very listenable.
try finding old Caine works - he was a horrid cockney! uninteligible. i assume he knew this because post 1970 he was understandable.

he had to have worked on it. he was BAD prior to 70. as an american i could not understand anything he said in his early works.

love Caine BTW - not disparaging the man, great actor!
Horrid cockney is a malapropism!! Caine was brilliant in the 60's... Zulu, Alfie, Ipcress file, Italian job etc etc.. Very clear English... Perhaps he later acquired an American accent in order to break into Hollywood...
not sue i understand your post. Zulu was a great movie and one the fist ones with Caine i could understand what he was saying. Caine never acquired an American accent, he just moderated his more natural-earlier cockney to more - knings englishish - or slowed his talk down - or whatever - whatever he did, it helped me understand him.

for that i am grateful, may he live to a hundred + (so many of the "Greats" are now dead ;-/.) at least Olivia Deheland(sp) (102), Kirt Douglas (100? - 101?), and the great singer Vera Lynn (103?) are the few "Greats" still with us.

thanks for reply, even if i didn't quite follow your post.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:49 am
gaffo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:05 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:00 am
Michael Caine is very proud of his cockney accent. He made a point of never losing it or acquiring a BBC accent.
he "changed" it - slowed it down at least! slow enough for me to understand.

you are right, though, not sure if it now still cockney (you would be the better judge of that than me), its not the "kings english"

i do find "kings englsh" the easiest to understand as an American (Kensington?).

sort of off topic, but find Irish almost American, Aussies in the middle and understandable, NZ have more "voul shift" and harder to understand, and Scots impossible to understand (and country Welsh - which i assume is now near extinct?).

off topic, "radioactive.fm" (wellington) is a great radiostation, listen to it all the time via my tabletop internet radio.

5pm over there now. have to wait for the breakfast show until tomorrow afternoon.
If Irish is like American then Irish is Helen of Troy and American is her hideous, malformed cousin.
I've heard Irish via many video sources from documentaries - not movies (where piss poor Irish accents from american actors - are more a Scottish version of english.

maybe even though you are a kiwi, and I'm just a dumb yank, i know Irish when i hear it.

and you think Scotts= Irish.

2-cents, when you get off your high horse come back here, and we can discuss how Scots English sounds nothing like Irish English.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

gaffo wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:03 am
gaffo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:05 am

he "changed" it - slowed it down at least! slow enough for me to understand.

you are right, though, not sure if it now still cockney (you would be the better judge of that than me), its not the "kings english"

i do find "kings englsh" the easiest to understand as an American (Kensington?).

sort of off topic, but find Irish almost American, Aussies in the middle and understandable, NZ have more "voul shift" and harder to understand, and Scots impossible to understand (and country Welsh - which i assume is now near extinct?).

off topic, "radioactive.fm" (wellington) is a great radiostation, listen to it all the time via my tabletop internet radio.

5pm over there now. have to wait for the breakfast show until tomorrow afternoon.
If Irish is like American then Irish is Helen of Troy and American is her hideous, malformed cousin.
I've heard Irish via many video sources from documentaries - not movies (where piss poor Irish accents from american actors - are more a Scottish version of english.

maybe even though you are a kiwi, and I'm just a dumb yank, i know Irish when i hear it.

2-cents, when you get off your high horse come back here, and we can discuss how Scots English sounds nothing like Irish English.
I 'think Scots = Irish? Really?
But yes, American evolved from the Irish accent (not the hideous Northern Irish accent though) but something terrible happened to it along the way.
My favourite accent of all is the Welsh accent.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 am

ok maybe i was in error in that assumption.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 am But yes, American evolved from the Irish accent (not the hideous Northern Irish accent though) but something terrible happened to it along the way.

WOW, you peaked my interest, what terrible thing happened along the way?

BTW the Irish accents i noted were Dubliners, not Londonderry (not Derry - the town legally is Londonderry until formally-legally changed (as Siagon(sp) is still Hochemin city - god i how i hate my dylexia - you can figure it out)- not heard there so maybe you have a point on this particular.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 am My favourite accent of all is the Welsh accent.
?? why so?
Last edited by gaffo on Fri May 10, 2019 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:24 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 am But yes, American evolved from the Irish accent (not the hideous Northern Irish accent though) but something terrible happened to it along the way.

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 am My favourite accent of all is the Welsh accent.
?? why so?
1.It turned into the way Americans speak today.
2.Because it's beautiful?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:25 am

?? why so?
you are too fast in reply madam - i added stuff to prior post - though not all that relivant.

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 am 1.It turned into the way Americans speak today.
yes i understood THAT! - just asking why that was "terrible" in your mind.

can we assume that the massive Irish migration to america solidified the similarity of speak they and my countrymen have today?

or maybe not related, and English settlers in dublin settled and had the "common accent" prior to Irish independence? (i.e. the timeline of English colonialization of Ireland was around the same time as America. thus the more common accent.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 am 2.Because it's beautiful?
what makes it beautiful?
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:36 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:25 am

?? why so?
you are too fast in reply madam - i added stuff to prior post - though not all that relivant.

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 am 1.It turned into the way Americans speak today.
yes i understood THAT! - just asking why that was "terrible" in your mind.

can we assume that the massive Irish migration to america solidified the similarity of speak they and my countrymen have today?

or maybe not related, and English settlers in dublin settled and had the "common accent" prior to Irish independence? (i.e. the timeline of English colonialization of Ireland was around the same time as America. thus the more common accent.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 am 2.Because it's beautiful?
what makes it beautiful?
It's lilting and musical and easy on the ears. You do realise that Richard Burton was Welsh? And Anthony Hopkins? (Although actors tends to lose much of their accent over time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmpps5dL6tc
vegetariantaxidermy

Oh fuck it. That's what happens when people mess around with the 'quote' function.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:53 am Oh fuck it. That's what happens when people mess around with the 'quote' function.
I understand about the quotes here - i'm too dumb to figure it out - maybe an FAQ should be posted on this forum.

leed me through the nose like a horse/camel and i might be able to understand how to reply here.

ive been here for 1.5 yrs and stil too dumb to figure it out! - lol

Richard Burton (over actor - great voice, might have been a nice guy - did not have the honour of knowing him) was welsh? did not know!

Hopkins too! - great actor, not the voice of Burton though, might have been a nice guy - did not have the honour of knowing him.

I recently bought the Bluray of "World at War" - the fab Brit production of the ww2 documentary (american version is cropped to modern TV - so they just chopped off the heads if the interviews to make the picture to fit!!!!!!!! - fk that! - i return my 60 bucks on that version and bought the "forieng verion" bluray - in original 3/4 aspect ratio --of course had to remove the fuckgin region code of the discs and reburn them on 75 cent chinese BDR blanks via my computer, just to watch the fucking show in the original aspect (without decapitations) via my legally bought discs - via copies without the fucking region codes (fuck lawyer$$).

anyway i though Richard Burtan narrated that series - i disscoverd it years ago and bought the BDR set recently - its actually Larence Olivia that narrated!

wow, they have a similar voice, do you know if LO is welsh? (I just being corial here - i assume he was not - too lazy to wiki the man).
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

gaffo wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:59 am
gaffo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:48 am

try finding old Caine works - he was a horrid cockney! uninteligible. i assume he knew this because post 1970 he was understandable.

he had to have worked on it. he was BAD prior to 70. as an american i could not understand anything he said in his early works.

love Caine BTW - not disparaging the man, great actor!
Horrid cockney is a malapropism!! Caine was brilliant in the 60's... Zulu, Alfie, Ipcress file, Italian job etc etc.. Very clear English... Perhaps he later acquired an American accent in order to break into Hollywood...
not sue i understand your post. Zulu was a great movie and one the fist ones with Caine i could understand what he was saying. Caine never acquired an American accent, he just moderated his more natural-earlier cockney to more - knings englishish - or slowed his talk down - or whatever - whatever he did, it helped me understand him.

for that i am grateful, may he live to a hundred + (so many of the "Greats" are now dead ;-/.) at least Olivia Deheland(sp) (102), Kirt Douglas (100? - 101?), and the great singer Vera Lynn (103?) are the few "Greats" still with us.

Zulu was Caine's first successful movie back in 1964.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

A_Seagull wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:01 am

yes, excellent movie - much better than the latter remake with Lancaster (a greater actor - top 10 of all time IMO, but that latter movie kinda sucked). aside, the "other guy" in Zulu kinda sucked, i noted him in the other excellent movie "Hell's Drivers" - where he was "star" - but as i noted in Zulu was not a good actor IMO, and the mad man Maguan (sorry can;t spell - the star in the excelent 60's tv show The Prisoner (which is wrote and starred in - and rumor is he was a total asshole - lol - so not a likeable man, though excellent actor) ended up acting better in that flick.

BTW - I'm a fan of Herbert Lom and his acting chops - the Human Jungle is a great TV show of the 60's in which he stared in (he was the "boss" of inspector Cluesou - Pick Panther movies (and i loved most of those and think Sellers is in the league of Lancaster - a top 10 of all time). Lom was great in his own TV show, but sadly was kinda lame as the italian in Hell's Drivers.

the gal is not so good either, basically im saying Hell Drivers is an excellent movie in spite of most of the cast not acting so well (minus MgGewin(sp). just shows that good story/stript is key to a good movie IMO.

anyway i've ranted somewhat, just wanted to say that the lead guy in Zulu was not a very good actor, and Caine was.

and yes Zulu was the first major role (and the first time i saw Caine via cable tv reruns eons ago) Caine was in. Later is saw a couple of earlier parts he played via vidoetape TV, and noted how i could not understand a thing he said in those parts.

2-cents.

thanks for reply!
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

gaffo wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:47 am

yes, excellent movie - much better than the latter remake with Lancaster (a greater actor - top 10 of all time IMO, but that latter movie kinda sucked). aside, the "other guy" in Zulu kinda sucked, i noted him in the other excellent movie "Hell's Drivers" - where he was "star" - but as i noted in Zulu was not a good actor IMO, and the mad man Maguan (sorry can;t spell - the star in the excelent 60's tv show The Prisoner (which is wrote and starred in - and rumor is he was a total asshole - lol - so not a likeable man, though excellent actor) ended up acting better in that flick.

I think you are confusing Patrick Magee .. who was in Zulu with Patrick McGoohan who was in the TV series the Prisoner.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

A_Seagull wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:56 am

I think you are confusing Patrick Magee .. who was in Zulu with Patrick McGoohan who was in the TV series the Prisoner.
no, but you made a point i was not aware of - Magee was in Zulu? i missed that - loved him in The Avengers (and his other parts - Hitchcock TV show/etc).

no. my reference to McGoohan was per Hell Drivers - he was a great actor and also good in that movie - i know he was not in Zulu.

i did rant a bit, so understand the confusion, thanks for reply though!

------

you are fast on the trigger finger (reply), a fighter pilot?

lol.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

gaffo wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:02 am
A_Seagull wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:56 am

no, but you made a point i was not aware of - Magee was in Zulu? i missed that - loved him in The Avengers (and his other parts - Hitchcock TV show/etc).

no. my reference to McGoohan was per Hell Drivers - he was a great actor and also good in that movie - i know he was not in Zulu.

i did rant a bit, so understand the confusion, thanks for reply though!

------

you are fast on the trigger finger (reply), a fighter pilot?

lol.
lol

Getting back to the OP... I think it is interesting to note that some the best speaking actors eg Caine and Burton, came from a lilting background.. (cockney and welsh) where the rhythm of what is being spoken is as important as the words themselves. There are subtle pauses to allow for breathing and for the listener to take on board what is being said. A continuous stream of words is difficult to follow as the words are strung together and difficult to understand as the gaps for 'punctuation' are missing.