People dont understand me by my speech

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

philosophic nature
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 5:19 pm

People dont understand me by my speech

Post by philosophic nature » Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm

Hello members,

i have a problem. Even when im talkin to my Dad, he must ask twice what ive got to tell him.
Why am I so unconcentrated in my speech? I cant give power in my voice. So that the others could hear what im sayin.
Im so sad about it, that its nearly senseless, to communicate with others outside. Because no one understand what im tryin to say.

Can somebody find the reason why it is so?

I have a psychic illness, maybe it comes therefor?

Greetings
Dominik

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 2814
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by -1- » Fri May 03, 2019 10:03 pm

The problem is that you speak English, but your father speaks German.

Try to learn each other's languages.

Here're some handy phrases for you:

Guten Tag -- Good Day.

Auf Wiedersehen -- see you later

Mahlzeit! -- please don't smoke in my vicinity.

Gesundheit! - kindly leave the premises after you take my wallet out of your pocket and put it on the table.

Wirklich nichts verstanden. -- Your mother was a hampster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4060
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by Harbal » Fri May 03, 2019 10:12 pm

philosophic nature wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm
Hello members,

i have a problem. Even when im talkin to my Dad, he must ask twice what ive got to tell him.
Why am I so unconcentrated in my speech? I cant give power in my voice. So that the others could hear what im sayin.
Im so sad about it, that its nearly senseless, to communicate with others outside. Because no one understand what im tryin to say.

Can somebody find the reason why it is so?

I have a psychic illness, maybe it comes therefor?

Greetings
Dominik
I'm sorry, but I haven't got a clue what you are talking about. Could you try to be a bit more intelligible?

Belinda
Posts: 2779
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by Belinda » Fri May 03, 2019 11:42 pm

Harbal, I think , because for instance of his misuse of the word 'psychic' that he's not a native English speaker.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8131
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sat May 04, 2019 12:55 am

Belinda wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:42 pm
Harbal, I think , because for instance of his misuse of the word 'psychic' that he's not a native English speaker.
I thought he just meant that he's religious.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 4060
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by Harbal » Sat May 04, 2019 7:16 am

Belinda wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:42 pm
Harbal, I think , because for instance of his misuse of the word 'psychic' that he's not a native English speaker.
I think you may be right, Belinda; although he could be a fortune teller going through a bad patch.

Belinda
Posts: 2779
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by Belinda » Sat May 04, 2019 10:31 am

Harbal:
I think you may be right, Belinda; although he could be a fortune teller going through a bad patch.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
A_Seagull
Posts: 871
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:09 pm

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by A_Seagull » Wed May 08, 2019 4:55 am

philosophic nature wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm
Hello members,

i have a problem. Even when im talkin to my Dad, he must ask twice what ive got to tell him.
Why am I so unconcentrated in my speech? I cant give power in my voice. So that the others could hear what im sayin.
Im so sad about it, that its nearly senseless, to communicate with others outside. Because no one understand what im tryin to say.

Can somebody find the reason why it is so?

I have a psychic illness, maybe it comes therefor?

Greetings
Dominik
You are not alone. It is a common affliction of today's youth.

Practice enunciating clearly. Or listen to Richard Burton or Michael Caine.. they both enunciate clearly and Michael Caine has a subtle lilt to his voice which makes it very listenable.

gaffo
Posts: 2320
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by gaffo » Wed May 08, 2019 5:44 am

philosophic nature wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm
Hello members,

i have a problem. Even when im talkin to my Dad, he must ask twice what ive got to tell him.
Why am I so unconcentrated in my speech? I cant give power in my voice. So that the others could hear what im sayin.
Im so sad about it, that its nearly senseless, to communicate with others outside. Because no one understand what im tryin to say.

Can somebody find the reason why it is so?

I have a psychic illness, maybe it comes therefor?

Greetings
Dominik
maybe you need to enunciate? try recording your own voice to find if so and work on it if that is your trouble.

gaffo
Posts: 2320
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by gaffo » Wed May 08, 2019 5:48 am

A_Seagull wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:55 am
philosophic nature wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm
Hello members,

i have a problem. Even when im talkin to my Dad, he must ask twice what ive got to tell him.
Why am I so unconcentrated in my speech? I cant give power in my voice. So that the others could hear what im sayin.
Im so sad about it, that its nearly senseless, to communicate with others outside. Because no one understand what im tryin to say.

Can somebody find the reason why it is so?

I have a psychic illness, maybe it comes therefor?

Greetings
Dominik
You are not alone. It is a common affliction of today's youth.

Practice enunciating clearly. Or listen to Richard Burton or Michael Caine.. they both enunciate clearly and Michael Caine has a subtle lilt to his voice which makes it very listenable.
try finding old Caine works - he was a horrid cockney! uninteligible. i assume he knew this because post 1970 he was understandable.

he had to have worked on it. he was BAD prior to 70. as an american i could not understand anything he said in his early works.

love Caine BTW - not disparaging the man, great actor!

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8131
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Wed May 08, 2019 6:00 am

gaffo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:48 am
A_Seagull wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:55 am
philosophic nature wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm
Hello members,

i have a problem. Even when im talkin to my Dad, he must ask twice what ive got to tell him.
Why am I so unconcentrated in my speech? I cant give power in my voice. So that the others could hear what im sayin.
Im so sad about it, that its nearly senseless, to communicate with others outside. Because no one understand what im tryin to say.

Can somebody find the reason why it is so?

I have a psychic illness, maybe it comes therefor?

Greetings
Dominik
You are not alone. It is a common affliction of today's youth.

Practice enunciating clearly. Or listen to Richard Burton or Michael Caine.. they both enunciate clearly and Michael Caine has a subtle lilt to his voice which makes it very listenable.
try finding old Caine works - he was a horrid cockney! uninteligible. i assume he knew this because post 1970 he was understandable.

he had to have worked on it. he was BAD prior to 70. as an american i could not understand anything he said in his early works.

love Caine BTW - not disparaging the man, great actor!
Michael Caine is very proud of his cockney accent. He made a point of never losing it or acquiring a BBC accent.

gaffo
Posts: 2320
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by gaffo » Wed May 08, 2019 6:05 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:00 am
gaffo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:48 am
A_Seagull wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:55 am


You are not alone. It is a common affliction of today's youth.

Practice enunciating clearly. Or listen to Richard Burton or Michael Caine.. they both enunciate clearly and Michael Caine has a subtle lilt to his voice which makes it very listenable.
try finding old Caine works - he was a horrid cockney! uninteligible. i assume he knew this because post 1970 he was understandable.

he had to have worked on it. he was BAD prior to 70. as an american i could not understand anything he said in his early works.

love Caine BTW - not disparaging the man, great actor!
Michael Caine is very proud of his cockney accent. He made a point of never losing it or acquiring a BBC accent.
he "changed" it - slowed it down at least! slow enough for me to understand.

you are right, though, not sure if it now still cockney (you would be the better judge of that than me), its not the "kings english"

i do find "kings englsh" the easiest to understand as an American (Kensington?).

sort of off topic, but find Irish almost American, Aussies in the middle and understandable, NZ have more "voul shift" and harder to understand, and Scots impossible to understand (and country Welsh - which i assume is now near extinct?).

off topic, "radioactive.fm" (wellington) is a great radiostation, listen to it all the time via my tabletop internet radio.

5pm over there now. have to wait for the breakfast show until tomorrow afternoon.

User avatar
A_Seagull
Posts: 871
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:09 pm

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by A_Seagull » Wed May 08, 2019 11:03 am

gaffo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:48 am
A_Seagull wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:55 am
philosophic nature wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm
Hello members,

i have a problem. Even when im talkin to my Dad, he must ask twice what ive got to tell him.
Why am I so unconcentrated in my speech? I cant give power in my voice. So that the others could hear what im sayin.
Im so sad about it, that its nearly senseless, to communicate with others outside. Because no one understand what im tryin to say.

Can somebody find the reason why it is so?

I have a psychic illness, maybe it comes therefor?

Greetings
Dominik
You are not alone. It is a common affliction of today's youth.

Practice enunciating clearly. Or listen to Richard Burton or Michael Caine.. they both enunciate clearly and Michael Caine has a subtle lilt to his voice which makes it very listenable.
try finding old Caine works - he was a horrid cockney! uninteligible. i assume he knew this because post 1970 he was understandable.

he had to have worked on it. he was BAD prior to 70. as an american i could not understand anything he said in his early works.

love Caine BTW - not disparaging the man, great actor!
Horrid cockney is a malapropism!! Caine was brilliant in the 60's... Zulu, Alfie, Ipcress file, Italian job etc etc.. Very clear English... Perhaps he later acquired an American accent in order to break into Hollywood...

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8131
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Wed May 08, 2019 11:49 am

gaffo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:05 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:00 am
gaffo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:48 am


try finding old Caine works - he was a horrid cockney! uninteligible. i assume he knew this because post 1970 he was understandable.

he had to have worked on it. he was BAD prior to 70. as an american i could not understand anything he said in his early works.

love Caine BTW - not disparaging the man, great actor!
Michael Caine is very proud of his cockney accent. He made a point of never losing it or acquiring a BBC accent.
he "changed" it - slowed it down at least! slow enough for me to understand.

you are right, though, not sure if it now still cockney (you would be the better judge of that than me), its not the "kings english"

i do find "kings englsh" the easiest to understand as an American (Kensington?).

sort of off topic, but find Irish almost American, Aussies in the middle and understandable, NZ have more "voul shift" and harder to understand, and Scots impossible to understand (and country Welsh - which i assume is now near extinct?).

off topic, "radioactive.fm" (wellington) is a great radiostation, listen to it all the time via my tabletop internet radio.

5pm over there now. have to wait for the breakfast show until tomorrow afternoon.
If Irish is like American then Irish is Helen of Troy and American is her hideous, malformed cousin.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3396
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: People dont understand me by my speech

Post by attofishpi » Thu May 09, 2019 12:23 am

philosophic nature wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:39 pm
Hello members,

i have a problem. Even when im talkin to my Dad, he must ask twice what ive got to tell him.
Why am I so unconcentrated in my speech? I cant give power in my voice. So that the others could hear what im sayin.
Im so sad about it, that its nearly senseless, to communicate with others outside. Because no one understand what im tryin to say.

Can somebody find the reason why it is so?

I have a psychic illness, maybe it comes therefor?

Greetings
Dominik
Hey dude, sorry to hear of your troubles. Sorrier to see most people in this thread are just taking the piss..

My mother has Parkinsons and is starting to have difficulty communicating verbally and is now seeing a speech pathologist, could be worth yourself having a few appointments?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech-language_pathology

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest