Is proper spelling important?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Is proper spelling important?

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:42 pm
Impenitent wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:05 pm the majority of language users on the planet use language other than English...

speeling isn't as important as the transfer (sharing) of meaning ...

then again, it depends on the audience

-Imp
Precision of meaning relies on the precision of the language. Both in syntax and choosing the right words for the right meaning.

A grocer can get away with using a grocer's comma, but a philosopher can only stay ambiguous or else nonsensical or else misunderstood, if she does not use proper grammar.

My good friend Gaffo is an exception to this rule, with his extreme dislexia.
oh thanks! so in otherwords i can get by with "bigger ideas" though cant spell worth shit.

i thank you for thinking i have something to offer here more than a grocer" (what i offer is no more than anyone else was born with if they turn off the smarth=phone/etc, and self reflected in a few hours/years of silent reflection. (know thyself).

not a DYslexia Nasi................sorry. ;-).
BTY - i've noted your posts since i joined here 1.5 yrs ago and i do value your posts. i thank you for valuing mine as well..................if i had no regard of, (not to name names - are you a Vegitarian -1?) i'd not reply/etc.

BTW my DYslexia is mild not extreme. thankfully.

i could be much worse off. i have no war with spelling - i.e. my affiltion is not so bad as to make me hate reading/etc.

so i'm ok - but can view myself with the others with a worse hadicap - and so why i do champion my (above) view of proper spelling aligned with phonetics) fonetics as the moral mandate.

ya, i'm nothing so it will not happen - all will be speaking manderian(sp) by 2300 anyway so who give a fuck.

by then it will be "proper latin" - lol.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:54 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:37 am
commonsense wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:33 am

This American recognizes a sentence fragment when he sees one.
This non-American recognises informal, semi-spoken English rather than formal English.
This Hungaro-Canadian recognizes semi-spoken, semi-written, semi-inarticulated, and almost entirely semi-gesticulated, szemi-language.
i suspect you are more Canadian than Hungarian? (I note the 54? revolt as just and have full respect of)- not Orban, which i hope you concur.

fools have no understanding/knowledge of history - that includes modern Orbanite Hungarians.

imo.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

commonsense wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:24 pm
commonsense wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:33 am

This American recognizes a sentence fragment when he sees one.
This non-American recognises informal, semi-spoken English rather than formal English.
You are saying that, like the Americans you demean, grammar is unimportant to you when you semi-speak informal English.

Who are you, I ask, to admonish those who use informal English?

It seems to me that you might be one who feels superior to (all?) Americans, and who cannot stand missing an opportunity to disparage them under any circumstance.
veg hate anything American - out of blind hate (wyh she does not hate the UK empire too? - i can only guess only because the latter's ship sailed 75 yrs ago).

I'm An American, i love my nation - as one that in the ideal affirms the UK's concept of Inalienable Rights of individuals.

sadly. since Bush JR (i liked SR BTW - i did not vote for him, insead voted for Paul in 88 - hated clinton as a phoney for 30 yrs now) - seeing how well he ended the Gulf War (wise - endied it without invadinging Iraq - unlike his dumb son).

to continue i love my country and view myself is a Patriot (affriming Inaleinable rights) - but sadly see too many americans today too dumb to see the diff bet a hole in the ground from their own ass hole.

so i'm forced now to choose bet my own (corrupt/broken) Nation and its foundational ideals - forced to choose. i have chosen the latter.

and so i affirm anyone of any nation that values inalienable rights concepts - over "an american" as my brother.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:05 pm

You are saying that, like the Americans you demean, grammar is unimportant to you when you semi-speak informal English.

It seems to me that you might be one who feels superior to (all?) Americans, and who cannot stand missing an opportunity to disparage them under any circumstance.
Typically moronic yank post. Not worth answering when you clearly don't have a clue about the subtleties of language usage. Just look at your deliberate bad spelling, something yanks are even proud of. And if you knew anything about me you would know that I'm anything but a 'grammar nazi' on here. What I have a beef with is the deliberate American destruction of the English language--even Americans know this because they arrogantly refuse to call it 'English', calling it 'American English' or 'American'. Why would you care what I think anyway? Americans loathe the idea of being thought of as 'intellectual'. Calling them idiots is the greatest compliment you can pay them.

it clear to all here that you "hate americans/american empire" (did you hate the English empire that rule prior? - too young? convenient since your NZ is a benificiary of the latter.

I note your bias - "america bad" - do you even had the mind to think of the enlightenement concepts? - or too biased to use your mind =
"america bad"

don't bother to reply madam.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:35 am

Typically moronic yank post. Not worth answering when you clearly don't have a clue about the subtleties of language usage. Just look at your deliberate bad spelling, something yanks are even proud of. And if you knew anything about me you would know that I'm anything but a 'grammar nazi' on here. What I have a beef with is the deliberate American destruction of the English language--even Americans know this because they arrogantly refuse to call it 'English', calling it 'American English' or 'American'. Why would you care what I think anyway? Americans loathe the idea of being thought of as 'intellectual'. Calling them idiots is the greatest compliment you can pay them.

it clear to all here that you "hate americans/american empire" (did you hate the English empire that rule prior? - too young? convenient since your NZ is a benificiary of the latter.

I note your bias - "america bad" - do you even had the mind to think of the enlightenement concepts? - or too biased to use your mind =
"america bad"

I don't need to reply. You only have to have read my posts.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:00 am

"america bad"

yes i've only read your posts - which only allow me to see what you wish me to see.

if you welcome conversation - even though am an evil american - great.

if you only wish to only "hit and run/be a sniper" per posts instead of posts offering disscussusion, then i will not waste my time with you Madam.

i've been here for nearly 2 yrs now, my posts are me, i don't play games, instead i value disccussion, even and including agreeing to dissagree and understanid why so - finding understanding of.

this does seem to be your aim here, if so then i have no interest in conversion with you (i have noted a few post by you that i was compelled to reply - in - not to - to to relivence).
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:07 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:00 am

"america bad"

yes i've only read your posts - which only allow me to see what you wish me to see.

if you welcome conversation - even though am an evil american - great.

if you only wish to only "hit and run/be a sniper" per posts instead of posts offering disscussusion, then i will not waste my time with you Madam.

i've been here for nearly 2 yrs now, my posts are me, i don't play games, instead i value disccussion, even and including agreeing to dissagree and understanid why so - finding understanding of.

this does seem to be your aim here, if so then i have no interest in conversion with you (i have noted a few post by you that i was compelled to reply - in - not to - to to relivence).
I just meant there's no point in answering at length when you will find everything you want to know in my past comments. Are you seriously suggesting I should be eternally grateful to the English for the particular piece of rock I happen to be living on? As seen with the likes of AUK, the English are still a conceited and arrogant bunch. Almost as stupid as Americans, and equally as clueless about history (and everything else).