Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
Atla
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by Atla » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 am

TimeSeeker wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:29 am
Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:24 am
How should I know what entity you are talking about, if you aren't saying anything about it?
I am saying something! I am saying that I am observing changes in the English language.
I am also saying that I am not the one making those changes!

SOMETHING is changing the English language. Lets call that SOMETHING a 'phenomenon'

I don't know HOW that phenomenon works.
I don't know WHAT to call that phenomenon (except for calling it a 'phenomenon')
Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:24 am
If it's some universal entropy/information entity then no, it doesn't exist and doesn't influence English.
There are no ifs, buts and whats. I have told you ALL I KNOW about this phenomenon!
Changes to English seem to be well-explained by human activity, but I assume you are talking about something else. In that case this something else, this entity/phenomenon is made up by you.

TimeSeeker
Posts: 2866
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 am

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by TimeSeeker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:04 am

Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 am
Changes to English seem to be well-explained by human activity.
You offer explanations where I ask for none. I am merely pointing out my observations.
Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 am
but I assume you are talking about something else. In that case this something else, this entity/phenomenon is made up by you.
I am speaking of the experience/observation of the phenomenon: the English language changes. Do you agree or disagree?

Why would you assume that I am talking about something else?

Atla
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by Atla » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:09 am

TimeSeeker wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:04 am
Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 am
Changes to English seem to be well-explained by human activity.
You offer explanations where I ask for none. I am merely pointing out my observations.
Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 am
but I assume you are talking about something else. In that case this something else, this entity/phenomenon is made up by you.
I am speaking of the experience/observation of the phenomenon: the English language changes. Do you agree or disagree?

Why would you assume that I am talking about something else?
Everything in the observable universe tends to change with time. As I said, you aren't saying, addressing or countering anything as usual. You went off topic, and then you went off topic even from that off topic.

TimeSeeker
Posts: 2866
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 am

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by TimeSeeker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:15 am

Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:09 am
Everything in the observable universe tends to change with time.
So you are agreeing with me then that the phenomenon (English changes) exists then and that I am not making it up?

And I will agree with you that "everything in the universe tends to change". I will go even further to say - the universe itself changes with time!

Atla
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by Atla » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:19 am

TimeSeeker wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:15 am
So you are agreeing with me then that the phenomenon (English changes) exists then and that I am not making it up?
You didn't say that the phenomenon is "English changes", so you are lying again. The arrow of time exists or seems to exist in our part of the universe, which is always true. The arrow of time is not a magical God-entity, messing with English.
I will go even further to say - the universe itself changes with time!
I disagree, I think that's logically impossible.

TimeSeeker
Posts: 2866
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 am

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by TimeSeeker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 am

Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:19 am
You didn't say that the phenomenon is "English changes", so you are lying again.
TimeSeeker wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:04 am
I am speaking of the experience/observation of the phenomenon: the English language changes. Do you agree or disagree?
Go fuck yourself. Amateur contrarian :)

In ancient times people who falsely accused others of crimes used to be punished AS IF they had committed the crime themselves.

Atla
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by Atla » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:24 am

TimeSeeker wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 am
Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:19 am
You didn't say that the phenomenon is "English changes", so you are lying again.
TimeSeeker wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:04 am
I am speaking of the experience/observation of the phenomenon: the English language changes. Do you agree or disagree?
Go fuck yourself. Amateur contrarian :)
You wrote this:

"But from the 1st person perspective it IS influenced by an external (to the 'self') entity.

What you decide to call that party/entity/phenomenon is entirely up to you..."

The arrow of time isn't external to the self. So you are lying, you changed the phenomenon you were talking about.

TimeSeeker
Posts: 2866
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 am

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by TimeSeeker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 am

Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:24 am
The arrow of time isn't external to the self. So you are lying, you changed the phenomenon you were talking about.
To accuse me of lying is to read my mind. Alas, you are deceitful.

There is no point interacting with you. Good luck in life :)

Atla
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by Atla » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:27 am

TimeSeeker wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:26 am
Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:24 am
The arrow of time isn't external to the self. So you are lying, you changed the phenomenon you were talking about.
To accuse me of lying is to read my mind. Alas, you are deceitful.

There is no point in debating you.
Or read your comments. :)

TimeSeeker
Posts: 2866
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 am

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by TimeSeeker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:28 am

Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:27 am
Or read your comments. :)
I only engage you so that you can produce the evidence.

See, I am not making the claim that you are a deceitful and lying person based on mind-reading. I have evidence.

You produced it.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25324&p=379829#p379829

Atla
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by Atla » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:35 am

TimeSeeker wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:28 am
Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:27 am
Or read your comments. :)
I only engage you so that you can produce the evidence.

See, I am not making the claim that you are a deceitful and lying person based on mind-reading. I have evidence.

You produced it.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25324&p=379829#p379829
You produce such evidence by almost every comment you write. :)

TimeSeeker
Posts: 2866
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 am

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by TimeSeeker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:36 am

Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:35 am
You produce such evidence by almost every comment you write. :)
Unsubstantiated claim. That is all one can expect from a liar.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3416
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by attofishpi » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Atla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 am
If it's some universal entropy/information entity then no, it doesn't exist and doesn't influence English.
Why are you certain that a 'universal entropy/information entity' doesn't exist, when in fact, entropy could and in fact, if we don't extinguish ourselves, will cause a 3rd party entity 'matrix'. A system that some in the past on experience of, would call a deity.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3416
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by attofishpi » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:36 am

TimeSeeker wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:29 am
I am saying something! I am saying that I am observing changes in the English language.
I am also saying that I am not the one making those changes!

SOMETHING is changing the English language. Lets call that SOMETHING a 'phenomenon'

I don't know HOW that phenomenon works.
I don't know WHAT to call that phenomenon (except for calling it a 'phenomenon')
You almost sound ready to discuss the actual point of the thread, that the English language has a dichotomy and anomalies beyond what would naturally occur with language etymology?

EVIL
evil (adj.)
Old English yfel (Kentish evel) "bad, vicious, ill, wicked," from Proto-Germanic *ubilaz (source also of Old Saxon ubil, Old Frisian and Middle Dutch evel, Dutch euvel, Old High German ubil, German übel,

LIVE
live (v.)
Middle English, from Old English lifian (Anglian), libban (West Saxon) "to be, be alive, have life; continue in life; to experience," also "to supply oneself with food, procure a means of subsistence; pass

My first example. From experience of the 3rd party entity, it IS very hard to LIVE when 'it' does EVIL to you. Random chance that they are the reverse of each other? The above from the online etymology dictionary (https://www.etymonline.com/) shows NO correlation between the words origin.

At stage one, either it is random chance that the words are the reverse of each other, or that some entity willed it so.

TimeSeeker
Posts: 2866
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 am

Re: Dichotomy and anomolies beyond etymology of English

Post by TimeSeeker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:43 am

attofishpi wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:36 am
You almost sound ready to discuss the actual point of the thread, that the English language has a dichotomy and anomalies beyond what would naturally occur with language etymology?
You almost sound ready to acknowledge that we will end up exactly where I started. Phenomenology ;)
When people use language to describe things, they are describing their EXPERIENCE of these things.

Of course, when you are trying to describe a phenomenon you've never encountered before you don't have a handy word like 'rain'. You have to invent it! So you say something like "sky water".

Language is recursive. Words define other words, define other words, define other words. Which is rather ironic because I ask "where do you start"?

And so some words actually refer to the same phenomena and so they mean the same thing. They are distinctions without a difference.
attofishpi wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:36 am
My first example. From experience of the 3rd party entity, it IS very hard to LIVE when 'it' does EVIL to you. Random chance that they are the reverse of each other? The above from the online etymology dictionary (https://www.etymonline.com/) shows NO correlation between the words origin.
The irony here is that this thing you refer to as 'it' in your first sentence, but then you use the words as 'random' and 'chance' in the next sentence.
And so you have separated the 'it' phenomenon which does EVIL to you, from the phenomena of 'randomness' and 'chance'.

I haven't ;) All those phenomena which cause me "EVIL" that I don't understand (e.g that are OUTSIDE OF MY CONTROL). I call them entropy.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests