Why is English the wordiest language?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:11 am

Heard this from a game show.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:26 am

This article goes into some detail on this subject:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/language ... 02572.html

A quick internet check indicates there's controversy as to what a word is. Still the game show (Press Your Luck) says English is the wordiest language.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 2814
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by -1- » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:40 am

A quick internet check brings light to the fact that you are running out of intelligent questions to ask, Wonderboy.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 4539
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:38 pm

Imperialism caused a synthesis of the primary dialect with local dialects.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:50 pm

-1- wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:40 am
A quick internet check brings light to the fact that you are running out of intelligent questions to ask, Wonderboy.
So what's your excuse?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 2814
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by -1- » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:51 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:50 pm
-1- wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:40 am
A quick internet check brings light to the fact that you are running out of intelligent questions to ask, Wonderboy.
So what's your excuse?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
I read and answer too many of your topics. ;-)

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:56 am

-1- wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:51 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:50 pm
-1- wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:40 am
A quick internet check brings light to the fact that you are running out of intelligent questions to ask, Wonderboy.
So what's your excuse?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
I read and answer too many of your topics. ;-)
Why this special interest in me?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 2814
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by -1- » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:40 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:56 am
-1- wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:51 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:50 pm


So what's your excuse?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
I read and answer too many of your topics. ;-)
Why this special interest in me?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
I live an extremely boring and simplistic life. Today it's you; tomorrow it's Farrah Fawcett Majors. The day after, The Day After The Day After (the show made for TV by BBC).

Your topics are easy to answer, therefore, and strangely, they give me inspiration to be sarcastically humorous. I know it's hard for you to see the humour, as most jokes in reply to your thread posts are made on your expense.

Last night I was especially depressed. Hence my harsher tone.

Today I feel a bit better. Shows in the softening of my sarcasm.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:28 am

-1- wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:40 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:56 am
-1- wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:51 am

I read and answer too many of your topics. ;-)
Why this special interest in me?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
I live an extremely boring and simplistic life. Today it's you; tomorrow it's Farrah Fawcett Majors. The day after, The Day After The Day After (the show made for TV by BBC).

Your topics are easy to answer, therefore, and strangely, they give me inspiration to be sarcastically humorous. I know it's hard for you to see the humour, as most jokes in reply to your thread posts are made on your expense.

Last night I was especially depressed. Hence my harsher tone.

Today I feel a bit better. Shows in the softening of my sarcasm.
If you're so depressed, I'll suggest philosophical counseling for you (maybe my threads are a cure for your depression).

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 2814
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by -1- » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:52 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:28 am
(maybe my threads are a cure for your depression).

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
They are, they are.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:36 am

-1- wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:52 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:28 am
(maybe my threads are a cure for your depression).

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
They are, they are.
So what do you think of John Doe's answer?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²

User avatar
-1-
Posts: 2814
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 am

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by -1- » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:27 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:36 am
-1- wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:52 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:28 am
(maybe my threads are a cure for your depression).

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
They are, they are.
So what do you think of John Doe's answer?

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
John Doe 7 is on my iggie list. His posts don't show to me. Hence, I don't have an opinion to offer.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4923
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am
Location: Living in a tree with Polly.

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by Dalek Prime » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:58 am

It's the wordiest language, as it evolved from the Germanic forms to incorporate many other languages. What we didn't have, we imported. And what we did have, we added alternatives and variants.

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11922
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by Arising_uk » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Because it's two languages combined and because it managed to do this it allowed, as Imp said, the importation of many words from languages around the world with little friction.

gaffo
Posts: 2320
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Why is English the wordiest language?

Post by gaffo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:43 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:11 am
Heard this from a game show.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²PhilXπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡²
because of the Normans - who invaded and killed the righfull king Harold in 1066 (who was winning the battle, until he got the arrow in his eye/head and died and his men fled the field and gave it to William)

and due to the Nords 200 centuries earlier too.

English now is a mix of german, Dane, Norwgian, and French..............and why we have such a large vocabulary - and 3 words from each earlier invading nations words - that mean the same thing.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest