What's the easiest language to learn?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: What's the easiest language to learn?

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:06 am
gaffo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:07 am but ya and no, if one was born via monster parents, not knowing of love, such a language would be foreign, and why we have serial killers. so not an easy language to learn (and IMO - post puberty is a "wall off" biologically - and so too late to learn that language)

sadly.
Hey Gaffo. Everyone, even an illiterate baby, knows the language of luv. Some don’t use it, for whatever reason.
Respectfully disagree, 99-percent of us know that language - and sadly too many ignore it knowing - lying/betraying themselves to it - but there are the 1-percent born in environments that denied thier "moral gene" to activate and have no clue to what morality is, nor have that "inner voice".

I do believe that there are moral genes, we are all born with, and most of us have then activated by puberty and so even thugs who act counter to that inner voice still have the voice but kill it in their persute of personal gain.

the few 1-pecenters had an upbringing so horrific than that their "moral genes" were not allowed to activate (and imo post puberty is too late to activate them) - and live lives today - either as criminals or CEOs lives of self interest with no inner moral conscience.

We call them Psychopaths, Socialpaths.

just my opinion on the matter.

thanks for reply Sir.
Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:38 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:06 am
gaffo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:07 am but ya and no, if one was born via monster parents, not knowing of love, such a language would be foreign, and why we have serial killers. so not an easy language to learn (and IMO - post puberty is a "wall off" biologically - and so too late to learn that language)

sadly.
Hey Gaffo. Everyone, even an illiterate baby, knows the language of luv. Some don’t use it, for whatever reason.
Respectfully disagree, 99-percent of us know that language - and sadly too many ignore it knowing - lying/betraying themselves to it - but there are the 1-percent born in environments that denied thier "moral gene" to activate and have no clue to what morality is, nor have that "inner voice".

I do believe that there are moral genes, we are all born with, and most of us have then activated by puberty and so even thugs who act counter to that inner voice still have the voice but kill it in their persute of personal gain.

the few 1-pecenters had an upbringing so horrific than that their "moral genes" were not allowed to activate (and imo post puberty is too late to activate them) - and live lives today - either as criminals or CEOs lives of self interest with no inner moral conscience.

We call them Psychopaths, Socialpaths.

just my opinion on the matter.

thanks for reply Sir.
Well, wise mothers teach their daughters not to confuse sincerity with the language of love, seeing as how within their arsenals of interpersonal manipulation many sociopaths and teenage boys can imitate sincerity and compassion by parroting luv talk.
iolo

Post by iolo »

The easiest language to learn is one you actually care about. My parents didn't teach me Cymraeg ('Welsh') but I learned it to a fair degree before I was ten, without formal help, whereas the English, who hate us, can't even learn to say the one or two mildly difficult sounds, or the learn phonetic pronunciation of places they visit frequently. With Latin, on the other hand, I've been stuggling for a lifetime, Alleged 'relationship' depends on structure - I'm lost with Irish because, like Latin, it's inflected, whereas I used to be quite good with Gwo Yeu Chinese. I have A Level French, but the French were always so perfectionist that I read rather than talk it, whereas I picked up workable Italian in holiday passing, so to speak. A lot of this stuff depends on the linguistic background of the individual, I think.
Orphan

Post by Orphan »

For me, the easiest languages are English and French. English is my mother tongue and French I learned in just six months. Je peux le parler couramment. 8)
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

The easiest language to learn is the one spoken by your parents and siblings. You will learn this language without memorizing lists or studying for exams. It may take you months to become fluent and years to master it, but, no matter, longer doesn’t make it harder.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

gaffo wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:46 am
-1- wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:46 pm
gaffo wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:48 am

60-percent of English is French-ish due to the Norman invasion.

i think it is the pronunciation (that word - "pronunciation" looks French to me - most "ations" enlish words are from French (and Latin - via english monks, and "the reformation/enlightenment push in the 16th century (where english speakers re-introducted (this word looks French to me too BTW) Latin back into English.

..........i.e i think it is the pronunciation that throw off Frogs, not the spelling of english.

------there is little left of German in English - most of it was removed by the Normans 800 yrs ago.

only our short words tend to be German.
Words alone don't make a language. There is also grammar, with its myriads of idiosyncrasies... word order, verb tenses, conjugation, declination, gendered nouns, noun-verb agreement, adjective-noun agreement, use of / lack of modal verbs, irregular verbs, vowel agreement, phoneme agreement, and the list goes on and on and on.
yes - but all the stuff you mentioned above is a "higher order" characteristic of language

you can "Figure out" any language - even if word order is wrong, grammar is wrong/etc - if you know the words used.

so i dissagree - "Words" make up 80 percent of any language - the rest is just acutriments

-1- wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:46 pm In the grammar sense, English is highly Germanic, much like German, Danish, Dutch, Swedish and Norwegian. In its word content, it has more french words than Germanic, but in everyday use 90 percent of all your words are of Germanic origin.
yes, your reference is relivent per grammar (however AFAIK, French has lost its Lain roots - no word order - and so also has word order ----so not sure if you are saying "English is german because there is word order" or not).

I think your 90-percent is hyperbole, i guess if your vobabulary is severly limited,

but i'm not buying it. i use bigger words i guess - lol

Re the "higher order" stuff, I would think it would also be correlated to just how socially acceptable it is to do that "higher order" stuff in a variety of ways. English is quite tolerant of all sorts of variations, as exhibited by regional differences, subcultural differences, etc. Some other languages may not be as tolerant. So that can make those languages more difficult.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Terrapin Station wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:10 pm
gaffo wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:46 am
-1- wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:46 pm

Words alone don't make a language. There is also grammar, with its myriads of idiosyncrasies... word order, verb tenses, conjugation, declination, gendered nouns, noun-verb agreement, adjective-noun agreement, use of / lack of modal verbs, irregular verbs, vowel agreement, phoneme agreement, and the list goes on and on and on.
yes - but all the stuff you mentioned above is a "higher order" characteristic of language

you can "Figure out" any language - even if word order is wrong, grammar is wrong/etc - if you know the words used.

so i dissagree - "Words" make up 80 percent of any language - the rest is just acutriments

-1- wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:46 pm In the grammar sense, English is highly Germanic, much like German, Danish, Dutch, Swedish and Norwegian. In its word content, it has more french words than Germanic, but in everyday use 90 percent of all your words are of Germanic origin.
yes, your reference is relivent per grammar (however AFAIK, French has lost its Lain roots - no word order - and so also has word order ----so not sure if you are saying "English is german because there is word order" or not).

I think your 90-percent is hyperbole, i guess if your vobabulary is severly limited,

but i'm not buying it. i use bigger words i guess - lol

Re the "higher order" stuff, I would think it would also be correlated to just how socially acceptable it is to do that "higher order" stuff in a variety of ways. English is quite tolerant of all sorts of variations, as exhibited by regional differences, subcultural differences, etc. Some other languages may not be as tolerant. So that can make those languages more difficult.
wow reply to a 3yr old post - long time no see. all is well?

lol
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:12 am I suspect this won't be an easy question to answer due in part to all the languages that exist.

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
I have no idea what the easiest language to learn is, but the hardest is apparently English. Even for those for whom English is their only language, only about one out of every hundred thousand can actually speak and write it correctly, or read and understand it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Once you understand a LAN_gauge

I would say - a programming language - anything beyond 2 level so long as a modicum of logic is within your forte.
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

Chinese looks the most difficult to learn.
English and German seem good language and easiest to learn.
wordtutslv

Post by wordtutslv »

The first language that people learn is typically the one they are surrounded by, and this is typically the one that their parents speak. However, we should consider all languages to be equal when it comes to learning them. The easiest language to learn might depend on what type of person you are and what your goals are for learning a language.

It's very difficult to say which language is the easiest because there are so many factors at play. For example, if you're good at memorizing things then any language would be easier. If you have an interest in studying a specific culture or area, then it would be easier for you to learn the native language of those people. Or if your goal with a second language is to use it with your friends or family in your country then any second language might

It is a well-known fact that people who are exposed to more than one language from an early age can become bilingual and learn new languages much easier than people who only speak one. So, if you speak two languages already, learning a third will be easier for you, even if it’s not easy for the average person.
smileY

Post by smileY »

Depends on the person and his/hers/theirs language family.
Kenny92

Post by Kenny92 »

I think it's easier to talk about difficult ones: Japanese, Chinese, Russian and Arabic.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

smileY wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:46 am Depends on the person and his/hers/theirs language family.
Totally true, all situations are unique. I have Asian roots, so Korean and Chinese were really easy for me to learn. My best friend's parents are originally from Germany, so this language was really easy for her despite the fact that she started learning it only after her 17th birthday. But for me, German is really hard. Also, there are people that could learn any language without a problem despite their roots.
Walker

Post by Walker »

iolo wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:41 pm The easiest language to learn is one you actually care about. My parents didn't teach me Cymraeg ('Welsh') but I learned it to a fair degree before I was ten, without formal help, whereas the English, who hate us, can't even learn to say the one or two mildly difficult sounds, or the learn phonetic pronunciation of places they visit frequently. With Latin, on the other hand, I've been stuggling for a lifetime, Alleged 'relationship' depends on structure - I'm lost with Irish because, like Latin, it's inflected, whereas I used to be quite good with Gwo Yeu Chinese. I have A Level French, but the French were always so perfectionist that I read rather than talk it, whereas I picked up workable Italian in holiday passing, so to speak. A lot of this stuff depends on the linguistic background of the individual, I think.
The easiest language to learn is one you actually care about.
That's an interesting observation.

The first spoken language one learns is the easiest language to learn. The easiest language learned, is learned when too young to consider not caring, i.e., when too young to "choose."