How logical should language be?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8120
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:35 pm

'Anyone can read it' being the operative words. You depend on people being morons who will believe anything as long as you say it often enough. Fortunately the average poster on here is 'smarter than the average bear'.
There is nothing wrong with a bit of insulting banter, as long as it doesn't interfere with the points being made, but when they are used simply to try to hide the fact that you have NO argument, then that is when the arrogant and emotionally-stunted narcissism comes into play.

Serendipper
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:05 am

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by Serendipper » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:09 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:34 pm
The odd insult might be incidental, but it's never the actual argument--unlike you and your buddy SF. When he has no argument he simply gets nasty and personal because he's a nasty and immature narcissist.
How can you say that without being what you said?

Claim/argument: When he has no argument he simply gets nasty and personal

Evidence/rationale/substantiation: because he's a nasty and immature narcissist

Doesn't that make you a nasty and immature narcissist by your own reasoning?

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8120
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:27 am

Serendipper wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:09 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:34 pm
The odd insult might be incidental, but it's never the actual argument--unlike you and your buddy SF. When he has no argument he simply gets nasty and personal because he's a nasty and immature narcissist.
How can you say that without being what you said?

Claim/argument: When he has no argument he simply gets nasty and personal

Evidence/rationale/substantiation: because he's a nasty and immature narcissist

Doesn't that make you a nasty and immature narcissist by your own reasoning?
Such a shame so many on here can't seem to read, and only 'see' what suits them to see.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 3386
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by attofishpi » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:29 am

Science Fan wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:36 pm
Atto: There you go again with your childish insults. So, fuck you. Fuck your mother and anything else related to you. After all, if you are going to come around like a little punk and call me names, I may as well respond in kind, right?
Please state the 'name' that I called you?
I simply stated that you appear, as a science fan, to be throwing your own faeces at a fan, and are thus blinded to this ridiculous argument that phil has endeavoured upon. It's called wit. A person without the required credentials when it comes to wit, thus will reply with something like telling me to fuck myself and fuck my own mommy, as in this case with your response.

Science Fan wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:36 pm
Since the mods on here have no problem with VT engaging in constant personal attacks, as well as you, then I may as well take advantage and respond in kind, right? Since you think VT is not insane despite her many completely off-the-wall comments where she twists any topic into some demented American bashing, it's not likely that you can respond to rational arguments anyway.
I think, moving forward we might best return to phil's argument, that it is 'more logical' to remove letters from English words, to 'simplify' the language, where they are not required phonetically.
For example: 'Honour' becomes 'Honor'.
So in this case, if you are in agreement with phil, then should 'Honour'/'Honor' become 'Ona'?

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:55 am

It's a bigger shame that some on here resort to lying on purpose using descriptions towards others that apply perfectly to the accuser and not to the intended victim.

PhilX 🇺🇸

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8120
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:06 am

So it's a mob then. Ooh scary. Funny how my 'insults' come under such scrutiny when there are people insulting each other all over the forum. It's also pathetic to even mention that someone is 'insulting' you. Honestly, go and cry to someone else, because no one on here gives a flying fuck. Is it really necessary to make a big announcement every time someone supposedly insults you? Reminds me of three year olds telling on each other to the kindergarten teacher. It's cute when they do it, but not so much when it's grown men.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:15 am

This person claims that because everyone insults everyone, that makes him or her part of the insulting mob and therefore makes it okay for him or her to insult too, but nothing could be farther from the truth as relatively few come here to insult others and those that do come here to provoke arguments, not for honest debate.

PhilX 🇺🇸

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8120
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:28 am

Where did fish pie insult anyone. How did Gaffo insult anyone? It seems that an insult is only an insult when a 'certain' poster is on the receiving end. It's only a dismal 'debating' ploy anyway. He couldn't give a toss about insults.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:39 am

Some people try to deflect attention from themselves while insulting others, making a game out of it. As I said, relatively few come here to insult.

I bet the ones who come here to insult can't even debate the OP because, duh, they're only trolls, and very likely social media types. In fact, for that type of troll, the OP is over their heads.

PhilX 🇺🇸

Science Fan
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by Science Fan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:51 pm

I don't think of the logic of language being based on the spelling of words, but on the meaning of words and how they are connected together to form a thought. Since we can move from statements in prepositional logic, like If P, then Q, which is a conditional statement at the foundation of mathematics, and describe the same ideas in plain English, we know that English at least has the capability of being used in a logical manner. However, it can also be used in an illogical manner, in a way that is not often exposed like when dealing with more formally logical statements that are expressed in mathematical and/or logical symbolism.

That's my view on the topic in a nutshell. After which, I fully expect that VT will follow up with some personal insult.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8120
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:31 pm

Now why would I do that to such a fragile, kind and sensitive little petal as yourself? I know how heartbroken you get when your feelings are hurt, hence your extreme need to treat others well and fairly.


The purpose of language is communication. Therefore.........oh what's the point...

Stop the Presses!

I feel compelled at this time to announce to the entire forum that SF has just personally insulted my integrity and character. I am sure each and every one of you will find this fascinating, and be suitably outraged on my behalf. I will be sure to keep all members updated on every single slur on my character.
Thank you for your time and deep concern.

Science Fan
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by Science Fan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 pm

VT: Yet again, when it is stated that she will respond with nothing other than a personal insult, Veggie responds with nothing more than a personal insult. Veggie can't even control her behavior. And how does she "justify" her personal insults? By claiming I'm some sort of flower, because I agree with the basic principles of philosophy that personal insults are a logical foul? She's literally using a personal insult as a justification for personal insults, which is the most bizarre circular reasoning I have seen.

One can also not tell from her lengthy comment whether she agreed or disagreed with my position. That's because she never engaged in any substantive discussion of any kind. Therefore, her comrade who earlier claimed Veggie only insults as an aside to her arguments can't get around this additional, empirical evidence that Veggie only uses personal insults and does not engage in any thoughtful debates at all. Just go look at her initial comment on the thread about abortions? Her initial response was to call the person who posted the discussion something like a fuckwit. That was it. She just called him a name and offered nothing more.

If this is really a philosophy forum, then why is the childish name-calling from Veggie being allowed? Personal insults are also considered fouls in the world of science, and I have never been associated with any science forum that would allow such childish comments from someone like Veggie. Is philosophy really that much less rational than science? Apparently it is.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8120
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:04 pm

Yet again, we have SF NOT responding with personal insults. He's well known for that folks.

Image
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8120
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:25 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:29 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:23 pm
Has anyone else notice how SF never insults anyone, especially when they disgree with him?
You're the other side of the coin as you insult everybody who disagrees with you.

PhilX 🇺🇸
I'm sorry. I keep forgetting you don't understand sarcasm. I will post a red flag next time.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5634
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: How logical should language be?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:16 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:25 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:29 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:23 pm
Has anyone else notice how SF never insults anyone, especially when they disgree with him?
You're the other side of the coin as you insult everybody who disagrees with you.

PhilX 🇺🇸
I'm sorry. I keep forgetting you don't understand sarcasm. I will post a red flag next time.
Let us hope the mods do share your sense of "sarcasm".

PhilX 🇺🇸

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests