What does silence mean?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

What does silence mean?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

In selling products and services, it means more sales.

I've first learned about silence as a negotiating tactic, used in offer and counteroffer, then later discovered it has a valuable use as a simple sales technique without considering it as a negotiating tactic.

Why does it work? One theory comes from this website:

https://www.moneycrashers.com/negotiati ... reat-deal/

From #7:

"Silence can force a surprising amount of pressure on the other party as well." I'm in disagreement with this. Let me ask what sales message does silence send to force pressure?

This sales advice is common to the negotiating industry (just google "Whoever speaks first, loses."), but not known to the general sales industry. Why do those silences work? (I have a theory, but I want you to have a try at it). How does it relate to language? Does silence have any sales message to motivate prospects?

Aside from sales, silence is often interpreted as assent or agreement. What do you think?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Eodnhoj7

Re: What does silence mean?

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:56 pm In selling products and services, it means more sales.

I've first learned about silence as a negotiating tactic, used in offer and counteroffer, then later discovered it has a valuable use as a simple sales technique without considering it as a negotiating tactic.

Why does it work? One theory comes from this website:

https://www.moneycrashers.com/negotiati ... reat-deal/

From #7:

"Silence can force a surprising amount of pressure on the other party as well." I'm in disagreement with this. Let me ask what sales message does silence send to force pressure?

This sales advice is common to the negotiating industry (just google "Whoever speaks first, loses."), but not known to the general sales industry. Why do those silences work? (I have a theory, but I want you to have a try at it). How does it relate to language? Does silence have any sales message to motivate prospects?

Aside from sales, silence is often interpreted as assent or agreement. What do you think?

PhilX 🇺🇸
If we look at the nature of noise, it is merely disordered sound or sound which does not maintain a congruency with the surrounding environment. In these respects silence is an absence of disorder, as order, which allow one to both reflect and give structure to their thoughts. Silence is everything working in relation with everything else in a degree of harmony. The same can be said for natural sounds or music...it allows one to silence themselves through sound.
duszek

Post by duszek »

In everyday life people who feel obliged to keep the ball rolling try to avoid silence.

Who feels obliged to keep the ball rolling ?
A person afraid of being dumpled because not entertaining enough.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

It could mean you start hearing yourself usually the most silent voice in the crowd
wtf

Post by wtf »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Silence is to language as the empty set is to math.
-1-

Post by -1- »

wtf wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:37 am
Silence is to language as the empty set is to math.
Silence is to language as an empty wallet to a shopper.

Silence is to language as an empty mind to a thinker.

Silence is to language as a writer's block to a writer.

Silence is to language as summer recess to a parliament.

Silence is to language as being dried out to sex.

Silence is to language as rowers asleep at their oars in a barge.

Silence is to language as coffee break is to working.

Silence is to language as inarticulate screaming to silence.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Or, silence is in play against noise such that noise would be a vacuous concept without it, much like 'up' means nothing without 'down'. As such, we think of it as an interpretative designation that makes possible discussion and possible meaning vis a vis noise/sound and the like. Silence is thus is structural feature of meaning making, and this is antecedent, or apriori, to any possible application of the idea.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

silence is golden.

a period for self reflection and thus wisdom.

and sadly the enemy of modern culture, where empty noise rules.

noise for its own sake ;-/.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

gaffo wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:25 am silence is golden.

I occasionally turn all noise off and just enjoy silence in my apartment, but not as effectively as the enjoyment that I and my dog experience as we canoe in Minnesota's Boundrey Waters Canoe Area. I prefer the sounds of nature to the sounds of the city.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

tbieter wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:22 pm

I occasionally turn all noise off and just enjoy silence in my apartment, but not as effectively as the enjoyment that I and my dog experience as we canoe in Minnesota's Boundrey Waters Canoe Area. I prefer the sounds of nature to the sounds of the city.
Amen Sir, I too...............though now drunk and listening to Beatle's Abey Road - "the love you take is equal to the love you make".........end of CD....................will prob relplace (after 3 time hearing and posting here) with Nadasurf or Tacocat CDs.................Beatles still the best of course, but sayin, prob will replace Abbey Road for Nada's "Stars are indeferent to astronomy" for this instand of audio sadifaction.

carry on.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

yes now changed to Nada's "Stars" CD, great "rockers" (with a message in some songs - "no snow on the mountian" (global warming) - overall great rock beat of all their stuff.

carry on.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

gaffo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:03 am

Amen Sir, I too...............though now drunk and listening to Beatle's Abey Road - "the love you take is equal to the love you make".........end of CD....................will prob relplace (after 3 time hearing and posting here) with Nadasurf or Tacocat CDs.................Beatles still the best of course, but sayin, prob will replace Abbey Road for Nada's "Stars are indeferent to astronomy" for this for audio sadifaction.

carry on.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

gaffo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:03 am

Amen Sir, I too...............though now drunk and listening to Beatle's Abey Road - "the love you take is equal to the love you make".........end of CD....................will prob relplace (after 3 time hearing and posting here) with Nadasurf or Tacocat CDs.................Beatles still the best of course, but sayin, prob will replace Abbey Road for Nada's "Stars are indeferent to astronomy" for this for audio sadifaction.

carry on.
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

Silence sits in context. In context it works best. Where silence works, that is good, where it won't then of course silence would be a mistake and sound has to be it. Silence in itself means nothing, it's just a definition to be used anywhere, everywhere. We and the all, are just definitions, certainly we have life to live and it's important and all, yet we are all definitions as regards the environment and our interactions with it. And GOD is the generator of definition because God is the creator of the all. G O D - generator of definition. This is why we all have our character and characteristics. Certainly they can change but not easily.
bergie15

Post by bergie15 »

Why would silence be a mistake? It is defined as the abscence of noise. I think we need more of it in the world honestly. I have noise-cancelling headphones which are great. Although they still do make a kind of sound, so there is not exactly silence when I wear them.