Is silence language?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Is silence language?

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:09 pm

For example it's been said that silence implies assent. I've also heard that silence is golden (as sung by The Four Seasons).

What does silence mean to you? Do you need context to understand silence? Why doesn't silence have it's own symbol or notation? What can you add to this discussion?

PhilX 🇺🇸

surreptitious57
Posts: 2097
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:09 am

Re: Is silence language?

Post by surreptitious57 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:42 pm

I want to be as silent as possible so I can listen and understand better. And this does not just entail physical silence but mental silence
too. So that when someone is talking to me online [ I do not talk offline ] I am actually listening to them instead of thinking what I am
going to say in response instead. I am getting better at this but there is always room for improvement so I just be patient and let it be

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Is silence language?

Post by Harbal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:33 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:09 pm
What can you add to this discussion?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Silence?

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11323
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Is silence language?

Post by Arising_uk » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:41 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote:... What can you add to this discussion?
Oh! The irony.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 2844
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Is silence language?

Post by attofishpi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:09 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:09 pm
What can you add to this discussion?
.

(fool stop)

User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 5135
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Is silence language?

Post by Dontaskme » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:22 am

Q: Is silence language?

A: No, and Yes.

Yes, as a form of silent body language often found in some other areas of nature.

But for the human consciousness, language is a fictional re-presentation of this ever present presentation ( silence)

Without silence there is no language. It is silence that speaks, reads and hears language.

Language is an appearance of silence. Silence is the permanent unchanging essence in which language appears in this conception as conceived by silence conceiving itself.

.

Viveka
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Re: Is silence language?

Post by Viveka » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Dontaskme wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:22 am
Q: Is silence language?

A: No, and Yes.

Yes, as a form of silent body language often found in some other areas of nature.

But for the human consciousness, language is a fictional re-presentation of this ever present presentation ( silence)

Without silence there is no language. It is silence that speaks, reads and hears language.

Language is an appearance of silence. Silence is the permanent unchanging essence in which language appears in this conception as conceived by silence conceiving itself.

.
I love this. :)

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3941
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Is silence language?

Post by Harbal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Viveka wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 pm

I love this. :)
Good, because now you've said that I think you'll find you are going to get a hell of a lot more of it.

tbieter
Posts: 1198
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:45 pm
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Re: Is silence language?

Post by tbieter » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:13 pm

I recommend "The World of Silence" by Max Picard.

I'm currently reading his book "The Human Face".

Dubious
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: Is silence language?

Post by Dubious » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:32 am

Some people would make more sense if it were.

User avatar
Dontaskme
Posts: 5135
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Is silence language?

Post by Dontaskme » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:17 pm

You do exist. (You are existence.)

We do not exist as persons. Bodies and minds are myth. Who you really are is the same non-dual reality as who your relatives really are is the same as who your deceased dad really is.

There are not two in reality. As regards consciousness, you as a person are aware because of the non-dual reality.

You can never see your deceased relatives again simply because they exist only as dream characters do.And not even the seer can be seen, so who is there to see other?

You are aware of things as separate entities because of self-ignorance. When you have self knowledge, you still perceive things through your senses and mind but now know that they are not separate.

It is not really meaningful to ask what will it be like to simply be without a body and mind because this is now beyond the realm of words or thought where of we cannot speak, there of we must remain silent.

.

surreptitious57
Posts: 2097
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:09 am

Re: Is silence language?

Post by surreptitious57 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Are our brains just simply the means by which consciousness manifests itself. We think we produce it but it does not require us to
exist for it can do so entirely independent of us. So does that then mean we have no free will or can we freely think for ourselves

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests