The art of persuasion

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker
Posts: 4368
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

The art of persuasion

Post by Walker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:31 pm

Perhaps the cold and isolate, written form of flimflam driven by narcissism will reveal to the believers how emotional cues triggered the happy, foggy, and long sleep of rationality.

Obama’s ‘Greatest’ Speeches Have Been Collected in One Book. Here’s a Brutally Honest Assessment
http://freebeacon.com/culture/walther-review/


“After a while this nagging omnidirectional insistence on sincerity—"Let me be clear" is another Obama favorite—leaves one with the impression that he is less interested in public policy or even in principles than he is in tautologically insisting on the purity and intensity of his own motivation. He ends up coming off not so much as a politician with concrete goals as a sort of motivator-in-chief, an elementary school teacher desperate to impart enthusiasm to his 50 state-sized classroom.”

WendyDarling
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:38 am

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by WendyDarling » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:38 am

Is this topic specific to politicians, namely Obama?

Walker
Posts: 4368
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by Walker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:21 am

Any way is fine, Wendy of flying fame. Gotta start somewhere. Politics has been called the art of persuasion.

Obama is one of the starkest known examples of persuasive speaking, as measured by effect. That’s literally his ride to fame and fortune. President Trump provided goods and services for fame and fortune.

Obama simply read his mark well. He has a gift. Who will be the silent ghost writer of his memoirs?

Oprah is quite persuasive, as measured by the effect of people voluntarily giving her a boatload of money. She provides services. Entertainment.
Would Oprah be more likely to run for president as a Progressive in 2020, or seek Trump’s endorsement in 2024?

WendyDarling
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:38 am

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by WendyDarling » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:22 am

If the idea is not rumor, she'll run as a progressive in 2020, but I would prefer her to start her own party with her own principles and stick to them come hell or high water in 2024.

Impenitent
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by Impenitent » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:31 pm

the art of persuasion...

god made men, Sam Colt made them equal...

-Imp

User avatar
Jeina Johnson
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:12 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by Jeina Johnson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:35 pm

Impenitent wrote:the art of persuasion...

god made men, Sam Colt made them equal...

-Imp
Where is this quote from? Short and precise. I love it!

Walker
Posts: 4368
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by Walker » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:25 pm

'Ceptin what Sam made was coercion, not persuasion.

The art of coercion? Get a club.

(Folks out yonder said 'ceptin in Sam's day.)

ForCruxSake
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by ForCruxSake » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:43 pm

The art of persuasion is all around us. It's in our politics, it's in our court rooms, on our TVs, our PCs and in our homes, when we deal with family, particularly children... It's everywhere, except possibly Inland Revenue.

It's all about 'selling' an idea or an action.

I love that coercion and persuasion seem somehow diametrically opposed. You don't have to persuade somebody you can coerce and vice versa. Oh, how many times have I said that to my kids! Never. They're too young.... but one day.... :)
Last edited by ForCruxSake on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6687
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:00 pm

They don't write their own speeches anyway.

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5025
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:37 pm

Try not to be persuasive.

PhilX

thedoc
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by thedoc » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:08 am

ForCruxSake wrote: Oh, how many times have I said that to my kids! Never. They're too young.... but one day.... :)
My favorite line, when my grandchildren question something I tell them to do is "because I said so" it usually works because I'm a lot bigger than they are. I really get upset and detest when someone starts playing the "what If' game, I usually cut it off as soon as I can.

ForCruxSake
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by ForCruxSake » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:08 am

thedoc wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: Oh, how many times have I said that to my kids! Never. They're too young.... but one day.... :)
My favorite line, when my grandchildren question something I tell them to do is "because I said so" it usually works because I'm a lot bigger than they are. I really get upset and detest when someone starts playing the "what If' game, I usually cut it off as soon as I can.
I remember always explaining things to my boy. Everything was rationalised and explained. At his nursery I was taken aside and told:

"You have to stop justifying it, when you want him to do something. Just tell him to do it "because you said so" ".

Well, I was appalled, but being fairly new to the parenting thing, and assuming them to be the experts, I just nodded assent and walked away feeling a bit bruised. I then spent the rest of the day chewing it over, trying to understand why it was wrong to explain things to him and so the next day returned to ask why.

"Oh, it's because every time we ask him to do something, he stops to discuss it and we simply don't have the time to explain things to him. There are other children to mind."

"Then, bugger you!", I thought.

Looking back now, she was right. My son is now 14 and will talk up a storm any time you ask him to do something, going round in circles trying to counter me. If only I knew then what I know now. :)

ForCruxSake
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by ForCruxSake » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:08 am

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Try not to be persuasive.

PhilX
Not sure I can be persuaded by that. :)

Philosophy Explorer
Posts: 5025
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 am

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:11 am

ForCruxSake wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Try not to be persuasive.

PhilX
Not sure I can be persuaded by that. :)
Sales experience.

PhilX

thedoc
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: The art of persuasion

Post by thedoc » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:22 am

ForCruxSake wrote:
thedoc wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote: Oh, how many times have I said that to my kids! Never. They're too young.... but one day.... :)
My favorite line, when my grandchildren question something I tell them to do is "because I said so" it usually works because I'm a lot bigger than they are. I really get upset and detest when someone starts playing the "what If' game, I usually cut it off as soon as I can.
I remember always explaining things to my boy. Everything was rationalised and explained. At his nursery I was taken aside and told:

"You have to stop justifying it, when you want him to do something. Just tell him to do it "because you said so" ".

Well, I was appalled, but being fairly new to the parenting thing, and assuming them to be the experts, I just nodded assent and walked away feeling a bit bruised. I then spent the rest of the day chewing it over, trying to understand why it was wrong to explain things to him and so the next day returned to ask why.

"Oh, it's because every time we ask him to do something, he stops to discuss it and we simply don't have the time to explain things to him. There are other children to mind."

"Then, bugger you!", I thought.

Looking back now, she was right. My son is now 14 and will talk up a storm any time you ask him to do something, going round in circles trying to counter me. If only I knew then what I know now. :)
My grandchildren are getting to the age where I can explain things to them, If I have the time and the knowledge, but sometimes when we are getting ready to go somewhere, I just need them to move and usually it's a delaying action on their part. Just tonight at the dinner table we were discussing something and I took the time to explain things. At times like that I'm more than happy to show off, and try to impress them with my superior knowledge. It' just when My granddaughter (who is 7) says something and is corrected by my grandson, (who is 11) that I step in and tell them to stop arguing, and then I usually tell them what is correct. Sometimes they will counter by saying their teacher told them, but I have an ace in the hole, I remind them that I used to be a teacher, and know better.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests