Is it math or maths?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6694
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:34 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:"It literally means 'goddess' and is SUPPOSED to be a title of great honour for an outstanding female opera singer."

Americans use it that way, too.

The other, "haughty attitude" sense of the term is a metaphorical extension of the "outstanding female opera singer" sense--the idea is that someone is acting above everyone else, like a star who deserves special treatment as such, etc.
Bullshit. The morons couldn't differentiate between 'diva' and prima donna. Yet another beautiful and useful word lost to the language because you can't educate your population properly. You only have to google 'diva' to find all kinds of American garbage 'definitions' for it.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:One assay of the moon determines a mean of 19% for magnesium. No single sample would ever produce EXACTLY 19%. Therefore you are not correct. It is more generally true that Hitler is nasty; more so that a simple matter of fact that the moon is 19% Mg.
What?? Are you reading it in some weird Aspie way or something?
NO that's YOU.

It would be almost impossible to even make a sample in a lab that was exactly 19%. I'm simply comparing a statement you make which you think true which is actually impossible, against a more reasonable statement that math is ugly.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6694
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:39 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:One assay of the moon determines a mean of 19% for magnesium. No single sample would ever produce EXACTLY 19%. Therefore you are not correct. It is more generally true that Hitler is nasty; more so that a simple matter of fact that the moon is 19% Mg.
What?? Are you reading it in some weird Aspie way or something?
NO that's YOU.

It would be almost impossible to even make a sample in a lab that was exactly 19%. I'm simply comparing a statement you make which you think true which is actually impossible, against a more reasonable statement that math is ugly.
Nice. :)

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:41 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:Not an Aspie-like response from you, too. <sigh>

What is the very specific meaning?
It's a good sign that a person is loosing the argument when he resorts to insults.

Leontine Price was a diva.
Dame Kiri Takanawa is a diva.

Annie Lennox aspires to be a diva, but Britany Spears is not and never will be a diva.

The clue is the root 'divine'.

Calling christine aquilera a diva is like calling Arnold Swarzeneggar a thespian.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6694
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:47 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:Not an Aspie-like response from you, too. <sigh>

What is the very specific meaning?
It's a good sign that a person is loosing the argument when he resorts to insults.

Leontine Price was a diva.
Dame Kiri Takanawa is a diva.

Annie Lennox aspires to be a diva, but Britany Spears is not and never will be a diva.

The clue is the root 'divine'.

Calling christine aquilera a diva is like calling Arnold Swarzeneggar a thespian.
It's the equivalent of 'Prima ballerina assoluta'. Very sad that it has been ruined. If you say to someone 'Kiri Te Kanawa is a diva', they will think you are insulting her.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:49 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:Not an Aspie-like response from you, too. <sigh>

What is the very specific meaning?
It's a good sign that a person is loosing the argument when he resorts to insults.

Leontine Price was a diva.
Dame Kiri Takanawa is a diva.

Annie Lennox aspires to be a diva, but Britany Spears is not and never will be a diva.

The clue is the root 'divine'.

Calling christine aquilera a diva is like calling Arnold Swarzeneggar a thespian.
It's the equivalent of 'Prima ballerina assoluta'. Very sad that it has been ruined. If you say to someone 'Kiri Te Kanawa is a diva', they will think you are insulting her.
Yes, its a word that has become its opposite. Such a 'nice', which has currently achieved a sort of ironic "what crap", but originally 100s of years ago used to mean mad or useless, though when I was a kid, it meant good, even pretty.

Since I said mad!!! That's another word that the US has modified to mean angry when we know it means insane.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 6694
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:10 am

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Since I said mad!!! That's another word that the US has modified to mean angry when we know it means insane.
True. There are lots of words like that. 'Smart', 'dumb', 'hot'... Now on a hot day you feel like an idiot if you say to someone 'God I'm hot'.

User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 1488
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm
Location: NYC Man

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by Terrapin Station » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:01 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:"It literally means 'goddess' and is SUPPOSED to be a title of great honour for an outstanding female opera singer."

Americans use it that way, too.

The other, "haughty attitude" sense of the term is a metaphorical extension of the "outstanding female opera singer" sense--the idea is that someone is acting above everyone else, like a star who deserves special treatment as such, etc.
Bullshit. The morons couldn't differentiate between 'diva' and prima donna. Yet another beautiful and useful word lost to the language because you can't educate your population properly. You only have to google 'diva' to find all kinds of American garbage 'definitions' for it.
Apparently "education" amounts to "brainwashing" to some folks. Or at least they're such conformists that it necessarily implies following suit.

I suppose that explains the fallacy of assuming that someone is ignorant just because they don't share some received view.

I'm educated about a lot of things where I do not agree with a received view or where I've chosen to not follow suit.

User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 1488
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm
Location: NYC Man

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by Terrapin Station » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:04 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:One assay of the moon determines a mean of 19% for magnesium. No single sample would ever produce EXACTLY 19%. Therefore you are not correct. It is more generally true that Hitler is nasty; more so that a simple matter of fact that the moon is 19% Mg.
What?? Are you reading it in some weird Aspie way or something?
NO that's YOU.
Who said something about particular samples?

It would be almost impossible to even make a sample in a lab that was exactly 19%.
Who said something about "exactly 19%?"

Again, you're being quite Aspie-like here.

User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 1488
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm
Location: NYC Man

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by Terrapin Station » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:06 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:Not an Aspie-like response from you, too. <sigh>

What is the very specific meaning?
It's a good sign that a person is loosing the argument when he resorts to insults.
If someone is acting Aspie-like, do you feel that one shouldn't say as much out of some PC politeness or something?

And enough with the snob crap re Christina Aguilera and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:20 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:What?? Are you reading it in some weird Aspie way or something?
NO that's YOU.
Who said something about particular samples?

It would be almost impossible to even make a sample in a lab that was exactly 19%.
Who said something about "exactly 19%?"

Again, you're being quite Aspie-like here.
"math is ugly": who said anything about ugly to everyone?

Thus the moon is 19% Mg which by your estimation is "right", in the same way by my estimation "math is ugly" is also right.

SO lose the argument more gracefully and do not be insulting.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:Not an Aspie-like response from you, too. <sigh>

What is the very specific meaning?
It's a good sign that a person is loosing the argument when he resorts to insults.
If someone is acting Aspie-like, do you feel that one shouldn't say as much out of some PC politeness or something?

And enough with the snob crap re Christina Aguilera and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
This is not snobbery. CA is not an opera star; AS is not much of an actor, certainly does not do theatre.

User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 1488
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm
Location: NYC Man

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by Terrapin Station » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:43 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:"math is ugly": who said anything about ugly to everyone?
No one. You had asked for examples with respect to what sorts of sentences can be correct or incorrect versus sentences that can not be. So I gave you examples.
Thus the moon is 19% Mg which by your estimation is "right",
That's correct or incorrect by virtue of extramental facts. There are extramental facts regarding the chemical composition of the moon's surface.
in the same way by my estimation "math is ugly" is also right.
Not at all. There are no such extramental facts regarding whether math is ugly.

Again, sentences about the chemical composition of the moon are correct or incorrect by virtue of extramental facts about the moon.

That's not to say that truth isn't subjective. Someone has to make a judgment about the relationship between a proposition and the extramental facts in question (assuming we're using correspondence, which I do). But there are no extramental facts in the case of "'math' is ugly."
SO lose the argument more gracefully and do not be insulting.
Again, do you think that someone should not saying that something is Aspie-like when it is just to be PC or something? I'm not at all a fan of PCism.

User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 1488
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 pm
Location: NYC Man

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by Terrapin Station » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:45 pm

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
It's a good sign that a person is loosing the argument when he resorts to insults.
If someone is acting Aspie-like, do you feel that one shouldn't say as much out of some PC politeness or something?

And enough with the snob crap re Christina Aguilera and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
This is not snobbery. CA is not an opera star;
That would be an Aspie approach. A characteristic of Asperger's is that Aspies have trouble parsing non-"literal" language.
AS is not much of an actor, certainly does not do theatre.
Arnold is one of my favorite actors, actually.

User avatar
Hobbes' Choice
Posts: 8385
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 am

Re: Is it math or maths?

Post by Hobbes' Choice » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:19 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:"math is ugly": who said anything about ugly to everyone?
No one. You had asked for examples with respect to what sorts of sentences can be correct or incorrect versus sentences that can not be. So I gave you examples.

Wrong.
You started this pathetic Asperger's bullshit by telling me that my reasons for "math is ugly" ; "does not mean it is right"

So fuck you and the horse you rode in on.
Math is ugly.
Get over it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest