Apologies

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Apologies

Post by Harbal » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:49 pm

Greta wrote:and some blind woman turned on me, spitting "There's a HUMAN BEING in that wheelchair!".
You should have given the blind woman a slap. It's not likely she would have tried to retaliate and, even if she had, she would just as likely have hit someone else, rather than you.

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:52 pm

Walker wrote: The clever ones with more wit than half stayed silent as the terrorist-attack narrative telling the story of 911 and the aftermath fashioned from ideology, hindsight, and imagination.
That's not even a complete sentence so stop trying to outdo yourself in a pseud contest.

Harbal

Post by Harbal » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:03 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: That's not even a complete sentence so stop trying to outdo yourself in a pseud contest.
Yes, Walker, shut up, you're getting on our nerves.

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:18 pm

Harbal wrote:
Greta wrote:and some blind woman turned on me, spitting "There's a HUMAN BEING in that wheelchair!".
You should have given the blind woman a slap. It's not likely she would have tried to retaliate and, even if she had, she would just as likely have hit someone else, rather than you.
I'd like to know how she knew there was a person in the wheelchair.

Harbal

Post by Harbal » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:26 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I'd like to know how she knew there was a person in the wheelchair.
It was probably just a shot in the dark.

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I'd like to know how she knew there was a person in the wheelchair.
It was probably just a shot in the dark.
lol. It was a great story though. Reminds me of a skit someone like 'Fry and Laurie' would do. Fry would have a brilliant retort of course.

Harbal

Post by Harbal » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:36 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fry would have a brilliant retort of course.
Yes, probably very Oscar Wildish.

Walker

Post by Walker » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:21 pm

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: That's not even a complete sentence so stop trying to outdo yourself in a pseud contest.
Yes, Walker, shut up, you're getting on our nerves.
Sir, I’ll have you know that somehow, I just can’t take you seriously. :lol:

Because indignation grabbed Greta by the throat she had limited options in following the flow of the moment. Just imagine this. Apologize profusely to the blind lady. Agree with her and join her in commiseration at the sorry state of the world where language can be so devoid of humanity. So sad. Tell her you are ashamed. Thank her for pointing out your error, and vow to the blind one that you will persevere to do better. Marvel that a blind one can see more clearly than one with eyes. Ask her if there is anything that you can do for her, perhaps a cold Dr. Pepper, and before leaving thank her once again for her kindness in helping you to be more mindful to the sensitivity that others may feel for their burdens of loss. If you mean all that from the heart the blind lady will feel lighter in spirit and so will you, and the universe will smile on you both. Like this. :)

Walker

Post by Walker » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:26 pm

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Walker wrote: The clever ones with more wit than half stayed silent as the terrorist-attack narrative telling the story of 911 and the aftermath fashioned from ideology, hindsight, and imagination.
That's not even a complete sentence so stop trying to outdo yourself in a pseud contest.
It's just a complete sentence in English, though likely more thoughtful than that to which you are accustomed.

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:34 pm

Walker wrote:
It's just a complete sentence in English, though likely more thoughtful than that to which you are accustomed.
It's not. It ends up in the air. It might be a punctuation problem but it's not my job to edit it. Just because something is gibberish doesn't mean it's thoughtful.

Walker

Post by Walker » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:49 pm

Walker wrote:
It's not. It ends up in the air. It might be a punctuation problem but it's not my job to edit it. Just because something is gibberish doesn't mean it's thoughtful.
:lol:

You think it’s wrong but can’t say how other than with an incorrect assertion.

Could be what's wrong is that the sentence doesn't say what you would like it to say.

I think that your difficulty in understanding the sentence lies in the word, "fashioned."

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:05 am

Walker wrote:
Walker wrote: It's just a complete sentence in English, though likely more thoughtful than that to which you are accustomed.
:lol:

You think it’s wrong but can’t say how other than with an incorrect assertion.

Could be what's wrong is that the sentence doesn't say what you would like it to say.
''The clever ones with more wit than half stayed silent as the terrorist-attack narrative telling the story of 911 and the aftermath fashioned from ideology, hindsight, and imagination.''
You have no predicate at the end. The clever ones, with more wit than half, stayed silent, as the terrorist-attack narrative telling the story of 11/9, and the aftermath fashioned from ideology, hindsight and imagination, rumbled on/made a lot of noise/blew bubbles...... Unless you are saying the 'terrorist-attack narrative' and 'the aftermath' were 'silent', which would be a bit ridiculous. What exactly ARE you trying to say?

Impenitent

Post by Impenitent » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:08 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I'd like to know how she knew there was a person in the wheelchair.
some one told her that she wasn't swatting a piñata

-Imp

artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:29 am

Walker wrote:
Because indignation grabbed Greta by the throat she had limited options in following the flow of the moment. Just imagine this. Apologize profusely to the blind lady. Agree with her and join her in commiseration at the sorry state of the world where language can be so devoid of humanity. So sad. Tell her you are ashamed. Thank her for pointing out your error, and vow to the blind one that you will persevere to do better. Marvel that a blind one can see more clearly than one with eyes. Ask her if there is anything that you can do for her, perhaps a cold Dr. Pepper, and before leaving thank her once again for her kindness in helping you to be more mindful to the sensitivity that others may feel for their burdens of loss. If you mean all that from the heart the blind lady will feel lighter in spirit and so will you, and the universe will smile on you both. Like this. :)
Well said, Walker! I agree. And I might like to add...this is such a hard thing to do when you are not prepared to humble yourself. It goes against every instinct we have about the goodness of ourselves. To do the above , without feeling bitter, takes practice. But when you finally get there...you see it is no big deal to admit defeat...and that perhaps it was you who were wrong...not only about the misunderstanding...but also about the thought, "I hate this blind woman."

If you were kind to the person in the wheelchair, Greta (which by the way is very nice)...why not be kind to the bitter blind woman who mistook your statement...who knows what her life has been like? It is easy to be kind to those who give you reward...harder to be kind to those who belittle you or make you out to be the bad guy. But really What is the harm of doing what Walker suggests? (not trying to make you an example....but I just realize I did...I apologize...I don't think poorly of you...really...as I have been there and done that...I'm just saying....exercising the body is alot like exercising the mind. When your body gets stronger it can handle alot more....same with the brain. When you understand where the pain is coming from in others...they can't hurt you...well...not as much. lol

Greta

Post by Greta » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:06 am

artisticsolution wrote: If you were kind to the person in the wheelchair, Greta (which by the way is very nice)...why not be kind to the bitter blind woman who mistook your statement...who knows what her life has been like? It is easy to be kind to those who give you reward...harder to be kind to those who belittle you or make you out to be the bad guy. But really What is the harm of doing what Walker suggests? (not trying to make you an example....but I just realize I did...I apologize...I don't think poorly of you...really...as I have been there and done that...I'm just saying....exercising the body is alot like exercising the mind. When your body gets stronger it can handle alot more....same with the brain. When you understand where the pain is coming from in others...they can't hurt you...well...not as much. lol
Heh, I wasn't kind to the fellow in the wheelchair, just having a chat. I'm not much for being kind to people because of disabilities. EEO. People with disabilities have an equal capacity to be jerks.