What's in a Name?....

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by marjoram_blues » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:47 am

Dalek Prime wrote:I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I love the name Stirfry for a cat. :lol:
Hot dog ! Schnitzel ! Bratwurst !
Not as lol as Stirfry for a cat. Guess there has to be a smidgeon of potential offence. A bit like use of the word 'chinky' to describe anyone of Eastern Asian descent. What's in a name....? Depends on how it is used and by whiom.
Clearly one would need to be thoughtful when naming a dachshund - dogs have feelings too. Don't give them a name that other doxies will make fun of :wink:

marjoram_blues
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by marjoram_blues » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:52 am

duszek wrote:A name could have a hypnotising power upon the bearer.
Like brain-washing but positive.

Some names used to be chosen after patron saints who were supposed to serve as a constant model and inspiration. Or after animals, flowers, objects or characteristics.

Should a boy called Leo be a small and fearful one ? Probably not.
Hmmm, possibly why Gerard Hugh Sayer changed his name ?

Scott Mayers
Posts: 863
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:53 am
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by Scott Mayers » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:02 am

We tend to also overlook that only in relatively recent times do we even NAME our children now prior to discovering who they are. I had a deaf cat, for instance. I didn't bother 'naming' her because I was forced to directly denote her anyways. I DID start using sign with her and gave her a reference name for others to relate without biasing me as being so impersonal by referencing her as "my cat" all the time. But it made me realize that the name we give is no different than assigning a variable label to any unknown. It is useful when imposing a label to something for others to understand the referent. But it is insignificant.

To humanity, I think it would be safe to say that ALL of us originally only named things based on title references and birth names would have been non-existent unless someone at least had some plan for their child regardless of their personal intents. So "Jesus", for instance, is a title name and actually referenced that he would be predicted or expected to be a king. [Jesus == Je sus == The same as... Christ == 'Christianized' or officially anointed as King] In other words, one prenamed a "Jesus Christ" is actually a two-word statement meaning, "One who is appointed officially (as by a God) to be the (true) King of men".

People otherwise would name their children only WHEN they are old enough to have personalities other than just being "So-and-so's baby".

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4257
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by Dalek Prime » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:49 pm

I was born on the first of March, St. David's Day. There were two boys ahead of me who got one of my father's names, David and Alexander. As such, I ended up with the Welsh Dewi as a middle name, which I hated. Most can't even pronounce it properly, Anglicizing it instead. It's been a pain, and I rarely use it, except to clearly identify myself. One of my sisters purposefully mispronounces it to egg me on.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinto
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:13 am

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by pinto » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:41 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:I was born on the first of March, St. David's Day. There were two boys ahead of me who got one of my father's names, David and Alexander. As such, I ended up with the Welsh Dewi as a middle name, which I hated. Most can't even pronounce it properly, Anglicizing it instead. It's been a pain, and I rarely use it, except to clearly identify myself. One of my sisters purposefully mispronouncea it to egg me on.
I didn't know that was a real name. Is that as in Huey, Dewey and Louie? Or Dewey in Malcolm in the Middle?

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4257
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by Dalek Prime » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:32 pm

pinto wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:I was born on the first of March, St. David's Day. There were two boys ahead of me who got one of my father's names, David and Alexander. As such, I ended up with the Welsh Dewi as a middle name, which I hated. Most can't even pronounce it properly, Anglicizing it instead. It's been a pain, and I rarely use it, except to clearly identify myself. One of my sisters purposefully mispronouncea it to egg me on.
I didn't know that was a real name. Is that as in Huey, Dewey and Louie? Or Dewey in Malcolm in the Middle?
Clearly you are not a Welsh speaker. It's pronounced Dow-ee (as in the industrial average). Only one person in my life has ever pronounced it correctly, and his friend was Welsh, who made sure he did. It's a Welsh name for David.

pinto
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:13 am

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by pinto » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:11 am

Dalek Prime wrote:
pinto wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:I was born on the first of March, St. David's Day. There were two boys ahead of me who got one of my father's names, David and Alexander. As such, I ended up with the Welsh Dewi as a middle name, which I hated. Most can't even pronounce it properly, Anglicizing it instead. It's been a pain, and I rarely use it, except to clearly identify myself. One of my sisters purposefully mispronouncea it to egg me on.
I didn't know that was a real name. Is that as in Huey, Dewey and Louie? Or Dewey in Malcolm in the Middle?
Clearly you are not a Welsh speaker. It's pronounced Dow-ee (as in the industrial average). Only one person in my life has ever pronounced it correctly, and his friend was Welsh, who made sure he did. It's a Welsh name for David.
Ok. Like Daffyd the only gay in the village. The Welsh accent is the most beautiful imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjekrHwgFsA

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4257
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by Dalek Prime » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:59 pm

Yes. But Daffyd is the Anglicization. As is the gay part.

Impenitent
Posts: 1758
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by Impenitent » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:05 pm

Manfred Mann has left the building

-Imp

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4257
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by Dalek Prime » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:01 am

Impenitent wrote:Manfred Mann has left the building

-Imp
Charles Manson can't [leave his building].

Impenitent
Posts: 1758
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by Impenitent » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:37 pm

true, but can he do wha diddy?

-Imp

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4257
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by Dalek Prime » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:18 pm

Impenitent wrote:true, but can he do wha diddy?

-Imp
I won't be asking him. :lol:

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3866
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by Harbal » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:30 pm

Dalek Prime wrote:I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I love the name Stirfry for a cat. :lol:
If I'd known what my dog was going to turn out like when I first got it I would have named it Filth. Actually, that's not true, I wouldn't even have taken it home.

Dalek Prime
Posts: 4257
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by Dalek Prime » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:00 am

Harbal wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I love the name Stirfry for a cat. :lol:
If I'd known what my dog was going to turn out like when I first got it I would have named it Filth. Actually, that's not true, I wouldn't even have taken it home.
Honestly, it was dragged kicking and screaming to your home.

duszek
Posts: 2150
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Location: Thin Air

Re: What's in a Name?....

Post by duszek » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:03 pm

How about the name Kill-Joy ? :D

Sometimes the opposite of what we like can make us laugh and we are usually grateful for a sponteneous laugh, aren´t we ?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests