Internet language influence

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Internet language influence

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

What does the internet mean for language development? Do you expect the internet to dominate language development looking forward?

PhilX
WanderingLands

Re: Internet language influence

Post by WanderingLands »

I think in one angle that the Internet will dominate more so language desolation, when considering that most people today, when typing, use incorrect grammar and even letters to substitute for actual words. Then again, that's just my opinion; what's your response, Phil?
Philosophy Explorer

With respect to English, I think the internet has weakened our communications. Even with spellcheckers, many mistakes are turning up. Also with the social media, I think our direct contact with others had dwindled.

I've been out of school for years. Do classes such as English class teach grammar skills using the internet?

PhilX
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:With respect to English, I think the internet has weakened our communications. Even with spellcheckers, many mistakes are turning up. Also with the social media, I think our direct contact with others had dwindled.

I've been out of school for years. Do classes such as English class teach grammar skills using the internet?

PhilX
Small picture stuff. Focus on the big picture Mr X. The english language itself has many mistakes. The english language is inefficient, and in some ways backwards-intuitive for developing AI, philosophy, and science.

Some forms of language you consider bad form, like "I be walking to store." is actually condusive to higher thought, higher efficiency, and higher intelligience, especially when creating AI. After all, the human brain was larger 10,000 years ago than it is now. With a steady diet of flouride and pesticides it's no wonder humans wish to upload their minds into computers. Though I would recommend against it, the suffering might be immense.
Philosophy Explorer

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:With respect to English, I think the internet has weakened our communications. Even with spellcheckers, many mistakes are turning up. Also with the social media, I think our direct contact with others had dwindled.

PhilX
Small picture stuff. Focus on the big picture Mr X. The english language itself has many mistakes. The english language is inefficient, and in some ways backwards-intuitive for developing AI, philosophy, and science.

Some forms of language you consider bad form, like "I be walking to store." is actually condusive to higher thought, higher efficiency, and higher intelligience, especially when creating AI. After all, the human brain was larger 10,000 years ago than it is now. With a steady diet of flouride and pesticides it's no wonder humans wish to upload their minds into computers. Though I would recommend against it, the suffering might be immense.
Who's to say what's right and wrong with the English language?

PhilX
GreatandWiseTrixie

Philosophy Explorer wrote:

PhilX

Who's to say what's right and wrong with the English language?

PhilX
I am. And I did. Have you ever programmed an AI before? I have. Gave up halfway for ethical reasons.

Now, let's do a little thought. Which is more efficient? "I be walking to store"? Or "I am walking to the store."
The first sentence has a more versatile syntax, with the same level of clarity.

The second sentence has an unclear tense, is he walking to the store presently, or in the future?

You might say this "builds more connections" but at the price of using up memory and efficiency. It's also "trivial", if the basic building blocks are simple, people can move on to new ideas quicker, and faster, because they arent fussing about with the complexity of the not-so-basic building blocks.
Philosophy Explorer

I am. And I did. Have you ever programmed an AI before? I have. Gave up halfway for ethical reasons.

Now, let's do a little thought. Which is more efficient? "I be walking to store"? Or "I am walking to the store."

The second sentence has an unclear tense, is he walking to the store presently, or in the future?

You might say this "builds more connections" but at the price of using up memory and efficiently. It's also "trivial", if the basic building blocks are simply, people can move on to new ideas quicker, and faster, because they arent fussing about with the basic building blocks.[/quote]

What credentials do you possess?

PhilX
GreatandWiseTrixie

Philosophy Explorer wrote: What credentials do you possess?

PhilX
Speaking of Ai...

Do you see yourself in the mirror? I mean really, do you?

Do you bother to actually address the ideas in front of you, which are quite valid. Or do you say "I need to see your identification", like some AI stormtrooper. Because clearly "creditentials" and "stickers" are more important to you than any actual progressive ideology.
Philosophy Explorer

PhilX
Speaking of Ai...

Do you bother to actually address the ideas in front of you, which are quite valid. Or do you say "I need to see your identification", like some AI stormtrooper. Because clearly "creditentials" and "stickers" are more important to you than any actual progressive ideology.
Now that you're on the defensive mode, I presume you can't answer the question.

PhilX
GreatandWiseTrixie

Philosophy Explorer wrote:

PhilX
Speaking of Ai...

PhilX
Defensive mode usually engages when someone's offensive mode is engaged. Why is it so hard for you humans to break your old traditions, and do anything rational for once. So worried about petty things, like credentials, and rules, and regulations. You can't even bother to entertain a new idea if it doesn't conform to your antiquated set of rules. It's no wonder your civilization is called an infant, baby race.
Philosophy Explorer

Speaking of Ai...

Do you bother to actually address the ideas in front of you, which are quite valid. Or do you say "I need to see your identification", like some AI stormtrooper. Because clearly "creditentials" and "stickers" are more important to you than any actual progressive ideology.[/quote]

PhilX[/quote]

Defensive mode usually engages when someone's offensive mode is engaged. Why is it so hard for you humans to break your old traditions, and do anything rational for once. So worried about petty things, like credentials, and rules, and regulations. You can't even bother to entertain a new idea if it doesn't conform to your antiquated set of rules. It's no wonder your civilization is called an infant, baby race.[/quote]

If you're saying you're an AI, you haven't convinced me.

Trying to take over this thread for your agenda won't work with me so I'm disengaging conversation with you.

PhilX
GreatandWiseTrixie

Philosophy Explorer wrote: If you're saying you're an AI, you haven't convinced me.

Trying to take over this thread for your agenda won't work with me so I'm disengaging conversation with you.

PhilX
My agenda, in this thread, is to improve the English Language. How horrifying, disengage immediately Captain! Take evasive measures! Warp 10! Take us out of here!

Typical human, if he doesn't wish to hear something he doesn't want to understand, he just ignores it and says "Talk to the hand". I never said I was an AI in this thread. I said I created an AI, and quit half-way through. How could I create myself, and quit half-way through? That doesn't even make sense.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

PhilX
I don't think so, but the way they teach it is inadequate and fragmented.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:I am. And I did. Have you ever programmed an AI before? I have. Gave up halfway for ethical reasons.
Pray tell?
No difference other than that the first is more likely to said by a yokel.
Only to those who can't grasp English as if it was the future it'd be 'I will be walking to the store'.
You might say this "builds more connections" but at the price of using up memory and efficiency. It's also "trivial", if the basic building blocks are simple, people can move on to new ideas quicker, and faster, because they arent fussing about with the complexity of the not-so-basic building blocks.
Nonsense really.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Arising_uk wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:I am. And I did. Have you ever programmed an AI before? I have. Gave up halfway for ethical reasons.
Pray tell?
No difference other than that the first is more likely to said by a yokel.
Only to those who can't grasp English as if it was the future it'd be 'I will be walking to the store'.
Nonsense really.
Wasn't sure if it would develop sentience so I quit. No sense bringing another child in this world.

Many things in the english language use up space, the english language is generally regarded as a hard to learn language worldwide, due to it's poor syntax. Despite this, due to laziness and computer tech being english based, the language is being spread across worldwide.

when it comes to ai building, the english language is a pain in the ass. extra modules are needed for it's bulky inconsistent convoluted syntax, it is not robot friendly. Words are full of double meanings, and the syntax is extremely inconsistent, with inconsistent rules and structures. Reading english syntax rules reads more like a joke book, like a monty pyhton or spongebob sketch of a ridiculously long list of silly and contradictory rules.