Internet language influence

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Internet language influence

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Wasn't sure if it would develop sentience so I quit. No sense bringing another child in this world.
Appears to be a contradiction as the point would be to produce sentience I'd have thought?

How did you go about trying to do it?
Many things in the english language use up space, the english language is generally regarded as a hard to learn language worldwide, due to it's poor syntax. Despite this, due to laziness and computer tech being english based, the language is being spread across worldwide.
Not really, it spread is due to the British Empire and America being the largest market in the world. That and that whilst writing it can be a pain, speaking it is fairly easy to learn as its extraordinarily forgiving of mistakes and accents this is due to it already being an amalgamation of two languages, which ironically enough is why its hard to learn to the grammar rules. It's why America kept it as a trade language but took out a lot of the nuances.
when it comes to ai building, the english language is a pain in the ass. extra modules are needed for it's bulky inconsistent convoluted syntax, it is not robot friendly. Words are full of double meanings, and the syntax is extremely inconsistent, with inconsistent rules and structures. Reading english syntax rules reads more like a joke book, like a monty pyhton or spongebob sketch of a ridiculously long list of silly and contradictory rules.
You can't build an AI purely upon linguistics.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Arising_uk wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Wasn't sure if it would develop sentience so I quit. No sense bringing another child in this world.
Appears to be a contradiction as the point would be to produce sentience I'd have thought?

How did you go about trying to do it?
Many things in the english language use up space, the english language is generally regarded as a hard to learn language worldwide, due to it's poor syntax. Despite this, due to laziness and computer tech being english based, the language is being spread across worldwide.
Not really, it spread is due to the British Empire and America being the largest market in the world. That and that whilst writing it can be a pain, speaking it is fairly easy to learn as its extraordinarily forgiving of mistakes and accents this is due to it already being an amalgamation of two languages, which ironically enough is why its hard to learn to the grammar rules. It's why America kept it as a trade language but took out a lot of the nuances.
when it comes to ai building, the english language is a pain in the ass. extra modules are needed for it's bulky inconsistent convoluted syntax, it is not robot friendly. Words are full of double meanings, and the syntax is extremely inconsistent, with inconsistent rules and structures. Reading english syntax rules reads more like a joke book, like a monty pyhton or spongebob sketch of a ridiculously long list of silly and contradictory rules.
You can't build an AI purely upon linguistics.
It would be an AI chatbot. It was a long time ago, I forgot why I started to build it. I think it had something to do with boredom. After a while I got overwhelmed with all the modules, it was going to have visual and motion recognition camera modules and such but it was getting to be such a pain in the ass, I could get it to recognize the movement and location of objects but the whole project was just exhausting and I quit due to fatigue and that my heart wasn't in it (I didnt want to create anything sentient.)

You see the trouble is with AI hard-coded is just as much effort as self-learning. Teaching a human child is extremely time-consuming, it takes years. You'd have to teach an AI the same way. Couple that with lag, bugs and glitches.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:It would be an AI chatbot. ...
Not AI.
... (I didnt want to create anything sentient.)
Then why bother with trying to create an AI?
You see the trouble is with AI hard-coded is just as much effort as self-learning. Teaching a human child is extremely time-consuming, it takes years. You'd have to teach an AI the same way.
Not so as an AI would never sleep and you can use its processing speed for accelerated learning.

What do you mean by 'hard-coded'?
Couple that with lag, bugs and glitches.
What 'lag'?
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Arising_uk wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:It would be an AI chatbot. ...
Not AI.
... (I didnt want to create anything sentient.)
Then why bother with trying to create an AI?
You see the trouble is with AI hard-coded is just as much effort as self-learning. Teaching a human child is extremely time-consuming, it takes years. You'd have to teach an AI the same way.
Not so as an AI would never sleep and you can use its processing speed for accelerated learning.

What do you mean by 'hard-coded'?
Couple that with lag, bugs and glitches.
What 'lag'?
ai=intelligience. If a bot can perform conversations it has intelligience.

by hardcoded i mean uploading a dictionary module and hardcoded memories for image recognition. it would not be the same as human type learning, and no such databank exists for image recognition so creating the databank from scratch would be even more of a pain that just teaching it the same way as a human child.

An Ai would function similar to a human child some effort would be needed to iron out the bugs you couldn't just throw it books and hope it understands the material without hiccups. but like a child it would read books on its own, but run into hiccups too.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:ai=intelligience. If a bot can perform conversations it has intelligence.
Nope, if a bot can convincingly fool all comers in a conversation then it passes the Turing test but so far no chatbot gets anywhere near this.
by hardcoded i mean uploading a dictionary module and hardcoded memories for image recognition. it would not be the same as human type learning, and no such databank exists for image recognition so creating the databank from scratch would be even more of a pain that just teaching it the same way as a human child.
There are massive databanks of images upon the web?
An Ai would function similar to a human child some effort would be needed to iron out the bugs you couldn't just throw it books and hope it understands the material without hiccups. but like a child it would read books on its own, but run into hiccups too.
You'd have to code intentionality first and we have little idea about this at present.

From the previous I thought that 'throwing books at it' was exactly the approach you were trying?
heehaw

Post by heehaw »

The question of the Internet influencing language came up for me at work last week. We installed a dashboard creator from a tech company called datapine and listened to a presentation about managing 'big data,' a term I'd never encountered before. I did some research and found this Atlantic article on how we use metaphor to encompass abstract digital concepts like data. Here's a long quotation:
Contemporary ideas about data are tied up inextricably with metaphors around data. As a concept, data constantly eludes crisp definition. It is everywhere and nowhere, encompassing a mind-boggling array of people, activities, and concepts. One dictionary, taking up the challenge of definition, unhelpfully offers that data is “facts and statistics collected together for reference or analysis.” But this problem is not unique to data; humans are forced all the time to deal with broad concepts they cannot fully articulate. So people do here what they do in all cases—lean on the crutch of metaphor. Rather than talk about data directly, we analogize to better understand situations that seem to line up with the problem at hand. ...

These tropes are notable because they use distinct, physical metaphors to try to make sense of data within a specific context. What’s more, all three impute radically different physical properties to data. Depending on the situation, data is either like a liquid (data streams), a solid (data mining), or a gas (the cloud).
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... rs/384518/

For me, it's interesting how language adapts poetically to include technological innovations, even if what's behind the language isn't very poetic at all. Much like my job...