Is it incorrect, to say the word strike when people refuse to work?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: Is it incorrect, to say the word strike when people refuse to work?

Post by commonsense »

trok

You are conflating the connotation of a word with the denotation of the word. Go to a dictionary or a grammar resource if you want to understand what you are doing before continuing.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

commonsense wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:08 pm trok

You are conflating the connotation of a word with the denotation of the word. Go to a dictionary or a grammar resource if you want to understand what you are doing before continuing.
Can you elaborate, because I'm not sure what you mean?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

trokanmariel wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:14 pm

I mean google “English dictionary”, select one to click on, on the dictionary’s page search for “denotation”, read what you find there, then repeat the process for “connotation” on the same website and consider how what you’ve read applies to this thread.

As an afterthought, look up “homonym” in a dictionary and consider how the idea of a homonym might apply to this thread.

FYI, if you are a native speaker of English, you should have learned these things in high school. On the other hand, if you are speaking English as a second language, then you should know that these are standard concepts in higher English.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

commonsense wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:38 pm

I mean google “English dictionary”, select one to click on, on the dictionary’s page search for “denotation”, read what you find there, then repeat the process for “connotation” on the same website and consider how what you’ve read applies to this thread.

As an afterthought, look up “homonym” in a dictionary and consider how the idea of a homonym might apply to this thread.

FYI, if you are a native speaker of English, you should have learned these things in high school. On the other hand, if you are speaking English as a second language, then you should know that these are standard concepts in higher English.
I've looked up homonym, and it says each of two words having same spelling but different meaning; the government says the word strike, when people don't work, and I'm simply pointing out that it's a misappropriation of language
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

trokanmariel wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:14 pm

I've looked up homonym, and it says each of two words having same spelling but different meaning; the government says the word strike, when people don't work, and I'm simply pointing out that it's a misappropriation of language
So you are saying that a homonym is a misappropriation of language. Your opinion of the rules of grammar is noted.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Do you mean to say the "government" conspires to denigrate miners who willfully refuse to work in the coal mine by calling them "striking miners" ? If so why do other sources including sympathetic ones also call them "striking miners"?
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

Belinda wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:00 am

Do you mean to say the "government" conspires to denigrate miners who willfully refuse to work in the coal mine by calling them "striking miners" ? If so why do other sources including sympathetic ones also call them "striking miners"?
Herd psychology, could be one answer. Either way, it's still the result that the term strike is not being correctly appropriated. To not perform manual labour is to not physically attack anyone or anything.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

trokanmariel wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:08 am

Herd psychology, could be one answer. Either way, it's still the result that the term strike is not being correctly appropriated. To not perform manual labour is to not physically attack anyone or anything.
You need to read Wittgenstein (his later philosophy ; a social philosophy of language)
Briefly, Wittgenstein showed that the meaning of a word is its use. You can understand much of a meaning of a word by its social context.
I agree that politicians sometimes do conspire to denigrate by means of subtle use of language, but their usage of 'strike' does not illustrate any conspiracy.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

Belinda wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:18 am
You need to read Wittgenstein (his later philosophy ; a social philosophy of language)
Briefly, Wittgenstein showed that the meaning of a word is its use. You can understand much of a meaning of a word by its social context.
I agree that politicians sometimes do conspire to denigrate by means of subtle use of language, but their usage of 'strike' does not illustrate any conspiracy.
No conspiracy, but still malcontent for civilization. Then again, the very heart of finance and banks perhaps needs the malcontent system, so there'd be point in ending strike without ending banks and finance
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

trokanmariel wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:22 am

No conspiracy, but still malcontent for civilization. Then again, the very heart of finance and banks perhaps needs the malcontent system, so there'd be point in ending strike without ending banks and finance
You did not comment on my reply. Did you not understand what I wrote?Or did you not read it?

What do you mean by "malcontent for civilisation " ? Who precisely is "malcontent for civilisation"?
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

Belinda wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:44 am

You did not comment on my reply. Did you not understand what I wrote?Or did you not read it?

What do you mean by "malcontent for civilisation " ? Who precisely is "malcontent for civilisation"?
The meaning of a word is its use: in this context, I don't know if that justifies strike

By malcontent for civilization, I mean rebelling against society
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

trokanmariel wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:17 am
Belinda wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:44 am

The meaning of a word is its use: in this context, I don't know if that justifies strike

By malcontent for civilization, I mean rebelling against society
Then that is what you should have written! Try to write simple short sentences, and choose the shortest words possible.
You wrote " To not perform manual labour is to not physically attack anyone or anything." That sentence does not make sense. What you mean is possibly "stopping manual work does not imply physically attacking".