Proof vs. Verification

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Zarathustra

Proof vs. Verification

Post by Zarathustra »

What are the differences between the two?
Are they conceptually different? Or methodically?
Or are they some overlapping concepts?
Impenitent

Re: Proof vs. Verification

Post by Impenitent »

percent of alcohol versus established methods of discernment

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:46 pm percent of alcohol versus established methods of discernment

-Imp
:lol:

Remove the “r” from one and get smoke, remove it from the other and get a new word.

The new root word, veify, should have fire in the meaning, probably deity too, maybe firewater.

Example in a sentence: Them hippies are out there on the corner veifying again, and they're making a racket.
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

Walker wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:41 pm
Impenitent wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:46 pm percent of alcohol versus established methods of discernment

-Imp

Remove the “r” from one and get smoke, remove it from the other and get a new word.

The new root word, veify, should have fire in the meaning, probably deity too, maybe firewater.

Example in a sentence: Them hippies are out there on the corner veifying again, and they're making a racket.
I think some people cannot pronounce 'R' sound. Is it the case with youself?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Zarathustra wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:59 am
Walker wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:41 pm

-Imp

I think some people cannot pronounce 'R' sound. Is it the case with youself?
Although not Chinese the "r" pronounced as "w" does sound more pleasing to this ear* than "r" pronounced as "l", even though both replacements are soft sounds. "W" is more of a pleasant affectation than a decipherable limitation.

Is it also the case with yourself's ears?

* Likely because it's the Elmer Fudd sound, you wascally wabbit.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Or l pronounced as r.
Kenny92

Post by Kenny92 »

I think it's like the difference between misinformation and disinformation (and there is also malformation). Each has its nuances. And in general, "verification" is an easy check, I'd say for yourself. At the same time, "proof" is a well-reasoned argument to convince the interlocutor.

About three weeks ago, I read this article: https://custom-writing.org/blog/fact-ch ... ur-writing. The topic is a bit different and geared toward students. But in broad terms, it's about fact-checking, which seems to be at the head of the matter.