solving language

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

Re: solving language

Post by Advocate »

[quote=gaffo post_id=514578 time=1624144607 user_id=15438]i offered a nice quick fix to make english spelling confomr with phonitic 3 yrs ago right here - but i'm just a no-body - so though apt and would make english phonetic pr its written form - will never come to be. sadly. ;-/.
[/quote]

I haven't seen it. Link?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:16 am disagree the function of language is to communicate. per that mandate all languages wer good enough, english won out per histroy - i have a huge problem with its spelling - which is not phonetic enough - and i offered a nice quick fix to make english spelling confomr with phonitic 3 yrs ago right here - but i'm just a no-body - so though apt and would make english phonetic pr its written form - will never come to be. sadly. ;-/.
I'm sorry life is tough. Reality is ruthless and demanding and it's either learn all you can or suffer the consequences. English is a difficult language but the most powerful and useful one. Nothing of real value is easy. If some part of language is difficult, if you're interested in using the best language there is, you just has to make the extra effort to master it, not ask the rest of the world to make it easier for them.

If you don't know anything, what are you going to, "communicate?" Before you can communicate anything, you must know something, know how to think it, know how to choose to communicate, and know how to use language to do it. The fundamental purpose of language is to make it possible for you to have knowledge and to think. Thinking is, after all, essentially communicating with yourself which you cannot do without language, and you cannot do that very well with a poorly understood language.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=RCSaunders post_id=514593 time=1624146321 user_id=16196]
[quote=gaffo post_id=514578 time=1624144607 user_id=15438]
disagree the function of language is to communicate. per that mandate all languages wer good enough, english won out per histroy - i have a huge problem with its spelling - which is not phonetic enough - and i offered a nice quick fix to make english spelling confomr with phonitic 3 yrs ago right here - but i'm just a no-body - so though apt and would make english phonetic pr its written form - will never come to be. sadly. ;-/.[/quote]
I'm sorry life is tough. Reality is ruthless and demanding and it's either learn all you can or suffer the consequences. English is a difficult language but the most powerful and useful one. Nothing of real value is easy. If some part of language is difficult, if you're interested in using the best language there is, you just has to make the extra effort to master it, not ask the rest of the world to make it easier for them.

If you don't know anything, what are you going to, "communicate?" Before you can communicate anything, you must know something, know how to think it, know how to choose to communicate, and know how to use language to do it. The fundamental purpose of language is to make it possible for you to have knowledge and to think. Thinking is, after all, essentially communicating with yourself which you cannot do without language, and you cannot do that very well with a poorly understood language.
[/quote]

Language began with communication and if you remove the communication element it dies with you. Language is All about communication, from it's root and at it's core.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

bahman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:29 pm
You are not serious. The human population would die if they cannot understand each other through language.
RCSaunders wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:35 pm Ask the next hundred English speakers you know what the eight principles parts of speech are, what a gerund, infinitive, or participle is, what a subject and predicate are, what verb agreement means, what the antecendent of a pronoun is, or what the almost-lost subjunctive mode is? Ask them why almost-lost is hyphenated. Good luck finding even one who can answer those basic questions of their own language.
You are talking about formulating the language. It is nice to know them but people don't need them since they understand what do you mean through the language. They learn the language through conditioning.
Yuu ar not sereus. The human populashon would dii if they canot understand eech other thruu languag.

Asc the next hundred English speecers yuu no wat the aat prinsipls parts of speech ar, wat a gerund, infinitiv, or partisipl is, what a subject and predicat ar, wat vrb agreement meens, wat the anteseendent of a pronoun is, or wat the almost-lost subjunctiv mod is? Asc them whii almost-lost is hiifienated. Guud luc finding even won hoo can anser thos basic questshun of thr oon languag.
[/quote]
Yuu ar talcing about formulating the languag. It is niis to noo them but peepl don't need them sinse they understand wat do yuu meen thruu the languag. Thaa lrn the languag thruu condishoning.
[/quote]
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:45 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:16 am disagree the function of language is to communicate. per that mandate all languages wer good enough, english won out per histroy - i have a huge problem with its spelling - which is not phonetic enough - and i offered a nice quick fix to make english spelling confomr with phonitic 3 yrs ago right here - but i'm just a no-body - so though apt and would make english phonetic pr its written form - will never come to be. sadly. ;-/.

don't be a dick, English is concise and has the largeest vocab, due to history - but Latin is the most efficent(sp) language - per if i had my way we should all be speaking latin. dead (ded) lang yes i know. but it is 20 percent less letter to say the same in english (englsih is more effiecent than the other maninline langueages - so eng is scond).

i just wish englsih were sane per spelling which is its not!

1. remove all silent letters
2 remvoe "k" - c is the same
3. never use "c" when you can use "s"
4 use double vowels (Vouls) for all things

so Kite becomes Ciit.

Cat remains (reeemaans cat.

remove silent letter and force vowels to be be spelled according to phonetics not historical whem(sp)) use two vowels for long form and one for short form. its simple. (simpl)

i and ii

a and aa
etc..............

its simple but i just a slob, and english will just remain insane regardless of sane spelling to make it phonetic - it could become so - but agian i'm just a no-body - so carry on.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

from "is proper spelling important" on this same category (catagoree) - 2 yrs ago:

gaffo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:14 am
Ghost wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:59 am My greatest friend spells words phonetically. I realized if I had discarded him as easily as I have others online who can't spell properly I would have missed out on my best friend. I used to see other's spelling mistakes as their lack of intelligence just as I see 'text speak' as laziness/stupidity. Other people may see my own poor grammar or sentence structure as the same.
I have become more forgiving over many years now. I recognize that languages will change as words fall into history and new words are created or change definition. Some people will have dyslexia, some will only be able to spell words phonetically, etc. How important is proper spelling anyways?
There is a quote that is often attributed to both Mark Twain and Thomas Jefferson that is about lacking imagination if only spelling a word one way.
I have Dyslexia - mild thankfully, i loathe English because though it claims to be phonetic, it really is not.

it could! be - and i made a "System" years ago to make it phonetic, but being a no-body, its just a mental fantasy (wish) on my part. If Englsih were re-writen in my "System" English would be truly phonetic. my self made mental fantasy rules for English is quite simple.

1. no silent letters - remove all of them in words that have them.
2. remove the letter "K", it was imported by the Romans from the Greeks and is a foreign letter- identical to "C" in all ways - so remove it, all words with "k" in them shall be respelled with the letter "C"
3. no double consonents! - and so no silly rules about long sounding/short sounding prior vowel letters (the whole "vowel phonetics depends upon a LATTER letter/double letter is dumb! - it breaks "real time phonetics" - one has to see the latter letters in the word in real time in reading the damn word!
4. limit the less used letters to their sole sound - so "Y" only in words with "yu" - not in words where it is used instead of "i" (each letter should have it own sound, so all uses of "y" in cases of words where it is used instead of "i" should be respelled with "i" (etc for all letters! - no duplication allowed).
5. short form phonetics of vowels should be ONE vowel letter, long form should always be Double Vowels! (thus removing the double consonate bullshit, silent letter "e" at end of word bullcrap too.

those five rules fix all spellings.
in will rewrite the above in proper phonetic English now.

I hav dislexea - mild thancfule, i louth English becus tho it claams to be funetic, it reely is not.

it cud be - and i maad a "sistem" yeers ago to maac it fonetic, but beeing a no-bodi, its just a mental fantasi (wish) on mi part. if English wur ree-ritin in my "sistem" English wud be truuli fonetic. my self maad mental fantasi ruuls for English is quiit simpl.

1. no silent letrs - reemoov al of them in words that hav them.
2. reemoov the letr "K", it wus imported bii the Romans from the Greecs and is a foren letr - indentical to "c" in al wais - so remoov it, al words with "K" in them shal bee respeled with the letr "C"
3. no dubl consunats! - and so no sili ruuls about long sounding/short sounding prior voul letrs (the hool "voul fonetics depends upon a LATR letr/dubl letr is dum! - it braacs "reel tiim fonetics" - won has to see the latr letrs in the words in reel tiim in reeding the dam word!
4. limit the les usd letrs to thair sol sound - so "Y" onli in words with "yu' - not in words whar it is usd insted of "i" (eech letr shud hav it oun sound, so al uses of "Y" in cases of words whar it is usd insted of "I" shud be respeled with "i' (ect for al letrs!) - no duplicashum aloud!
5.short form fonetics of vouls shud be WUN voul letr, long form shud alwais be Dubl Vouls! (thus remooving the dubl consonat boolshit, silent letr "e" at end of word boolcrap too.

simple example of rule 5:

Kite............Ciit
Kit............Cit
Cat.............Cat

Kate...........Caat

Like...............Liic

Lick...........Lic

Sick............Sic

Bite............Biit

Blight..............Bliit

Sight..............Siit

Hate..............Haat

Hat..........Hat

Fake...........Faac

Fat............Fat

etc..........
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:05 am

I have a Russian friend who, like you, chafed under the difficulty of some aspects of English. He tried valiantly to make others adopt his improvements. One of those improvements was to replace, "ph," in all words with that spelling with, "f." Philosophy became filosofy, and diaphragm became diafram, and so on. He eventually abandoned his project realizing language is not something anyone decides but the sum of all the choices of individual users of a language. He later confided to me, that when he decided to learn English as it is, with all it's idiosyncrasies, one of the things he discovered was how delightfully rich and interesting the language is, especially learning how all those idiosyncrasies came about, and how much more he was able to appreciate literature and all its subtleties.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:36 am

I have a Russian friend who, like you, chafed under the difficulty of some aspects of English. He tried valiantly to make others adopt his improvements. One of those improvements was to replace, "ph," in all words with that spelling with, "f." Philosophy became filosofy, and diaphragm became diafram, and so on. He eventually abandoned his project realizing language is not something anyone decides but the sum of all the choices of individual users of a language. He later confided to me, that when he decided to learn English as it is, with all it's idiosyncrasies, one of the things he discovered was how delightfully rich and interesting the language is, especially learning how all those idiosyncrasies came about, and how much more he was able to appreciate literature and all its subtleties.
i can relate due to my dyslexia (dislexia)

i like englsih because it borrowed so many words from other languages - so has a huge vocabulary.

and i know and understand its fucked up spellign is due to history and adoption of other foreign (foran) words into.

but being dislexic i do have a love hate relation (relashun) with it.

give my regards to your rushum frend its speling is fuced up.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:43 am
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:36 am
i can relate due to my dyslexia (dislexia)

i like englsih because it borrowed so many words from other languages - so has a huge vocabulary.

and i know and understand its fucked up spellign is due to history and adoption of other foreign (foran) words into.

but being dislexic i do have a love hate relation (relashun) with it.

give my regards to your rushum frend its speling is fuced up.
fuct up. my bad above.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

A language story, is the written text of its democracy assembly using the modernity through classic theme of its elimination/rearrangement natural possession.

Modernity through classic: it can be a left over right as visual word defense of right, from the sociology identity of politics.
The concept's existence, the defense by an imaginary as political necessity (a Lia Haddock reference, from Limetown, and Megan Fox possession, from the kitchen of JB) identity form for the sociology theme of right-wing politics is not in any way a rival, to the physics control of the sociology criticism physics story. In other words, the latter state is too hard to bear.

Mason Dertry's identity, of being a deliberate creator of anti-climax for definitive publication (of the user of publication being the imaginary reference power of publication access as activation symmetry), along the political tradition of sociology theology using the identity of 67 trillions years for the sex story to play out to the exclusion of everyone else, is the entertainment mystery to seek out and confront sunlight for its control of the equation (behaviour = evil).

Sociology criticism, of its 101 status: it is a reference to the laymen identity of criticism, in which the true identity of the carry is to upset the front to back matter story of words of the imagination apparatus.

The language:
written text as a traveller, which uses the direction meta of sociology, in which the underlying (Kristen Stewart's Snow White is here) identity of the opposing ends of the sequence's spectrum possession is invisible to the written text, and visual as a traveller for the sociology end.
Visual as a traveller, of the sociology end; it is a reference to the Regina Mills Queen - Thomas Heath sex art, of sex of publication using daylight's parameter of force to publication, along the identity route of the mental illness supernatural story being in sync with the Earth is only planet to have ever produced sentient life.

Language's democracy apparatus; can it locate the gravitation to body glamour version of assembly (assembly referring to body glamour's awareness of distances of experiences, as in distances means the correlation to images of frames), in the context of having to go through the Samantha Worzeil personal trait, of all images being the elimination process for sex relay's supremacy to all other relays.

Alas, what is the distances of experiences criteria?
Images of frames is the quantity reality, at least of the psychology aristocracy. Images of frames, being the conjunction partner to distances of experiences, is naturally a suspect for violating the traditional Racer Drive (Nadia Bjorlin's technology person ghost) democratic ownership, of user and use relating to writing is from sex is not a duplication violation theme, of the reasoning that written text involves the language democracy assembly equivalence, due to written text not being able to use the duality of violation.

Typing , by Angela Bennett in The Net; can it use the sociology theology's access to shared logic ideology via the exhibition of concentration themes of easy citation? And, can it do so for the sex mission, of making typing of its identity theme relation to writing/written text a free to apply to obscurity of reference parody (i.e. film reference, TV show reference, celebrity reference etc), including the dimension, of said freedom from reference parody using the physics keeping up with metaphor socialism morality label reality's trapped souls theme.

The trapped soul theme:
The storytelling masters, who have the perfect right to apply their intervention of moral nuance to the story through nothing more than publication story, are possibly the trapped souls mirror; they, consisting to name a few of Nadia Bjorlin's Racer Drive, Christian Camargo's Dracula of tennis, and Esther Cullen and Michael T Cullen (and Iris Heath and Thomas Heath Sr), are users of the horror of reality's bureaucracy as daylight manifestation meaning the ability to know the end before the story ends.

The 67 trillion year history:
Over time, language has steadily created its relay apparatus, of philosophy, theology and culture all serving as checkpoints for the relay; the singularity context (Johnny Depp and Amber Heard listening), of Thomas Heath having to juggle the acts of being silent for Mason Dertry, silent for Michael T Cullen's apparition, as a physics rebellion of Heaven's deceased are computers using its visual as a written text repeat of elimination story, as a divergence to the Mason Dertry silence mechanism, and also Peek-A-Boo sex smoking temptation to be evil activation via sex to writing, is a parallel entertainment for mystery arc, in the context of language's democracy machine being in cahoots with the X.

The mechanics, of the language democracy machine (overseen by Lalo, her sister Danil, Kevin Kilner, Gloria Fielding, Willie C Carpenter and Don Hood);
are the actual mistake logistics, of the universe, involving the analysis's movement by physics for reception for shared knowledge continuity, i.e. when two people discuss the upcoming game, the fridge door moving at the same time allows the second person to know their mutual knowledge, disguising themselves as visual words, and as visual word ideology, so that the free access to the storytelling version of reception by visual words can be a theme of socialism of recognition to the insects as metaphor machine?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Advocate wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:38 pm In order to get humanity's problems ironed out, we're going to have to solve this communication problem. There's no way to create a perfect language and it will evolve right away anyway, but we have to have one language for everyone, so let's get the principles straight.

What are the necessary and sufficient conditions of a language for everyone?
What is the proper order of prioritizing those conditions?

Is there any currently existing language that meets these priorities?
I can only see a vague priority suggested above: being for everyone. What are the priorities for this language?

I think to solve humanities problems trying to find or make the best language is not going to help. I would think it a fairly unlikely to succeed endeavor,also. IOW some group setting out to make a better language for all that they use is unlikely to succeed in the second phase: getting everyone or most to use it.

So, to solve humanity's problems, I think, we must assume that communication problems will always be present and possible. I am not sure it could be otherwise, given that language has to be flexible and metaphorical and thus individual, culture affected and floppy.

Some people brought up math. In math you can control all the parameters and it is utterly abstract. That's of little use in communication related to humanity's problems.

So, we got floppy languages. How do we work with each other GIVEN THAT?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Iwannaplato post_id=574105 time=1653204690 user_id=3619]
[quote=Advocate post_id=508849 time=1619390316 user_id=15238]
In order to get humanity's problems ironed out, we're going to have to solve this communication problem. There's no way to create a perfect language and it will evolve right away anyway, but we have to have one language for everyone, so let's get the principles straight.

What are the necessary and sufficient conditions of a language for everyone?
What is the proper order of prioritizing those conditions?

Is there any currently existing language that meets these priorities?
[/quote]I can only see a vague priority suggested above: being for everyone. What are the priorities for this language?

I think to solve humanities problems trying to find or make the best language is not going to help. I would think it a fairly unlikely to succeed endeavor,also. IOW some group setting out to make a better language for all that they use is unlikely to succeed in the second phase: getting everyone or most to use it.

So, to solve humanity's problems, I think, we must assume that communication problems will always be present and possible. I am not sure it could be otherwise, given that language has to be flexible and metaphorical and thus individual, culture affected and floppy.

Some people brought up math. In math you can control all the parameters and it is utterly abstract. That's of little use in communication related to humanity's problems.

So, we got floppy languages. How do we work with each other GIVEN THAT?
[/quote]

The language must be simple enough in its vernacular form that ordinary folk can express ordinary ideas, and expansive enough to represent complexity. There must be a capacity for both precision and poetry. It must be inclusive of words from various languages which express technically specific terms already. It should be useful even to people with common speech impediments. It should be phonetic. The written form should be simple and directly represent the spoken version.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Advocate wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:16 pm The language must be simple enough in its vernacular form that ordinary folk can express ordinary ideas, and expansive enough to represent complexity. There must be a capacity for both precision and poetry. It must be inclusive of words from various languages which express technically specific terms already. It should be useful even to people with common speech impediments. It should be phonetic. The written form should be simple and directly represent the spoken version.
What's the plan? There are languages like this. How would we get everyone to use one of them?
Perhaps it is good to have a variety of languages, even with some that do not fit all those criteria.
Spanish would seem to fit your criteria.

But I think it is more important to focus on what we do given the limitations and peculiarities of the language we have and language in general. To have meta-heuristics (how to notice when there are miscommunications, even subtle ones, for example)
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Are you going to invent this language from scratch, or are you going to extend English to meet your needs?

Why doesn't English meet your needs presently?
Kenny92

Post by Kenny92 »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:35 pm Ask the next hundred English speakers you know what the eight principles parts of speech are, what a gerund, infinitive, or participle is, what a subject and predicate are, what verb agreement means, what the antecendent of a pronoun is, or what the almost-lost subjunctive mode is? Ask them why almost-lost is hyphenated. Good luck finding even one who can answer those basic questions of their own language.
The topic is about perfect communication between people of different nationalities. And what you have listed is a deep and detailed study of the language. There are 24 tenses in English, and most native speakers speak only three.

You don't have to make it so complicated. Regardless of ethnicity, intelligence, age, etc., every second person speaks English. Maybe with a terrible accent, possibly illiterate, but it's enough to try to understand each other.