Do you prefer short or long sentences?

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Do you prefer short or long sentences?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

They each have their uses in language (I prefer short, but long can communicate more).

PhilX 🇺🇸
Skip

Re: Do you prefer short or long sentences?

Post by Skip »

Yes. Short for action; long for description. Short for assertions of fact or opinion. But when you need to explain why something happened in the way that it happened, or how two or more entities interact to cause a particular phenomenon, or what the royal bodyguard was thinking while the the assassination attempt was taking place, it may be necessary to resort to sentences with more adjectives, prepositional phrases and conditional subordinate clauses. It stands to reason.
-1-

Post by -1- »

I prefer never-ending sentences, or else sentences that ended a long, long time ago.
iolo

Post by iolo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:34 pm They each have their uses in language (I prefer short, but long can communicate more).

PhilX 🇺🇸
I was always taught that decent style require variation, or you end up sounding like Hemingway or Henry James!
Last edited by iolo on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-1-

Post by -1- »

iolo wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:04 pm ...or you end up sounding like Hemingway or Henry James!
Yikes! fate worse than death.

I'd rather sound like Shakespeare or like Jimi Hendrix.
Walker

Post by Walker »

-1- wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:02 am
iolo wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:04 pm ...or you end up sounding like Hemingway or Henry James!

Let er rip.

:)
-1-

Post by -1- »

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 am
-1- wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:02 am

Let er rip.

:)
They call me a ... Voodoo chile. 8)
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:34 pm They each have their uses in language (I prefer short, but long can communicate more).

PhilX 🇺🇸
i prefer longer............those who can have better vocabulary and so communicate better.

as you stated above.
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

PhilX 🇺🇸
I noticed that all your opening posts will get read if you write a one liner. I don't think I need to say more, aside from the fact that if something cannot be explained in a few lines, more will not do either, on top of that things are best understood in only a few lines depicting clarity in the writer's mind. As for a definition or an explanation of course the former requires a line or two and the latter requires more lines.