What Zodiac Sign Are You ?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Flannel Jesus

Re: What Zodiac Sign Are You ?

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:06 am
You can say whatever you like about me personally. You can accuse me of terrible crimes. But as long as I know none of what you accuse me of is actually true or real here in my world, will be how I will be able to know it's all fictitous on your part in the story.
So you are able to distinguish between fact and fiction, when it comes to statements about yourself. Why does that distinction disappear with fields of study like physics or astrology?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:43 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:29 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:12 am

Why is it 'wonderful'? Tom Cruise is a cancer. What about him speaks 'cancer' to you? His scientology? His general air of hyperactive insanity?
That's why you can't just go by sun signs. You share that with 8.333% of the world's population. Add in Moon sign, you've divided that by 12. ASC by 12 again. So from there you have other planets and where they fall in relation to each other, down into tiny little percentages.
Lumping human characteristics into 12 categories sounds about right to me, there's only a small amount of ways humans influence, connect, and effect each other in regards to their personality types. Dividing people regarded as having particular shared characteristics into 12 categories sounds about right to me anyway. Simply because deep down humans are basically of the same or similiar emotional make-up fundamentally.
If it works for you great.
I find that it's not enough information. For example the moon sign has to do with your emotions. The ascendant with the mask you wear and how you go about things. So, you can separate Hilter from Stevie Wonder.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Last edited by Dontaskme on Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Last edited by Dontaskme on Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:11 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:01 am This idea that anybody can make anything up and it's as true as anything else... I really don't know how that's remotely reasonable. If that's the case, all the effort of scientific rigor is completely useless. There's no point studying medicine and doing double blind trials, when you could just make up medicine and it's just as true as anything else.
No it's not useless, it's of use in the story that's all. In the experience of life, living as a separate self, knowledge is very useful to us and the only tool available that we can use to understand our place in the world.
But everything is made up, right? So I can just make up any knowledge I want and it's just as valid as scientific knowledge that was studied rigourously.

That's what your words sound like to me anyway. Chemistry is made up. Astrology is made up. I can make up a bunch of "facts" right now about how freckles affect your capacities for skills and knowledge. And all three of these made up fields of knowledge, according to what it sounds like you're saying, are all on equal footing because everything is just made up.

If you have two freckles on your hip, that means you're good at math. That's as valid as anything in astrology, it's just made up, right?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Last edited by Dontaskme on Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Last edited by Dontaskme on Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:42 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:35 am
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:11 am

No it's not useless, it's of use in the story that's all. In the experience of life, living as a separate self, knowledge is very useful to us and the only tool available that we can use to understand our place in the world.
But everything is made up, right? So I can just make up any knowledge I want and it's just as valid as scientific knowledge that was studied rigourously.

That's what your words sound like to me anyway. Chemistry is made up. Astrology is made up. I can make up a bunch of "facts" right now about how freckles affect your capacities for skills and knowledge. And all three of these made up fields of knowledge, according to what it sounds like you're saying, are all on equal footing because everything is just made up.

If you have two freckles on your hip, that means you're good at math. That's as valid as anything in astrology, it's just made up, right?
Everything is made up from nothing, yes, that is what I believe. However, whatever is made up has to make rational sense to the human mind, and is how we form the idea that rational sense is the only rational sense that makes real sense to us.

We automatically know what maakes rational sense to us, because we are the authors of our own sense. And when we can all agree and consent to our sense making it makes it all the more easier to believe it's real. And of course we can mix rational sense with nonsense and still be able to discern the difference, which is important when making sense out of nothing.
So is it or is it not valid for me to just make up facts about how freckles relate to your abilities?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Last edited by Dontaskme on Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Right, all knowledge is equal, everything you make up is just as true as anything any scientist studied, there's no discernable difference between scientific medicine and witch doctors. I think I understand now.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Sure I get it. Nothing anybody believes is false. Everyone can just make whatever up and it has just as much "truth" to it as anything else. Thanks.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:58 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:49 am Right, all knowledge is equal, everything you make up is just as true as anything any scientist studied, there's no discernable difference between scientific medicine and witch doctors. I think I understand now.
Do you not believe reality is non-dual?

I do, I believe there's simply nothing arising as everything, which indicates nothing is really happening, it just appears to be happening, for no one and everyone.
I'm not capable of gleaning any meaning from these words whatsoever
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »