What are your apocalypse plans?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

What are your apocalypse plans?

Post by Gary Childress »

I figure roast marshmallows until my face falls off. Can't really think of anything else. I'm not much of a partier. Wen't out for New Year's Eve a couple years back, didn't have a whole lot of fun, just played the wallflower for a while. Before that, I hadn't done a New Year's celebration in ages, didn't even make the big Y2K one.

What are your plans for the Apocalypse?
attofishpi

Re: What are your apocalypse plans?

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:39 am I figure roast marshmallows until my face falls off. Can't really think of anything else. I'm not much of a partier. Wen't out for New Year's Eve a couple years back, didn't have a whole lot of fun, just played the wallflower for a while. Before that, I hadn't done a New Year's celebration in ages, didn't even make the big Y2K one.

You've got me confused Gary, are you talking about The Apocalypse or singing in the NY?

If you have some inside info that the two coincide please let me know, I was issued a different date (fucking apostles, always taking the piss out of me)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:35 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:39 am I figure roast marshmallows until my face falls off. Can't really think of anything else. I'm not much of a partier. Wen't out for New Year's Eve a couple years back, didn't have a whole lot of fun, just played the wallflower for a while. Before that, I hadn't done a New Year's celebration in ages, didn't even make the big Y2K one.

You've got me confused Gary, are you talking about The Apocalypse or singing in the NY?

If you have some inside info that the two coincide please let me know, I was issued a different date (fucking apostles, always taking the piss out of me)
Just comparing special occasions. Beginning of the year/end of time. I don't know. They seem kind of akin to each other in importance. :oops:
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Of course, it depends on the circumstances: how much warning there is and how much prolonged trauma there might be.

We stay stocked up with food and supplies (and some backup power) for disruptions.

If it was an end-of-the-world scenario and if there was some advance warning, I would let all of my loved ones know (if possible) how grateful I am to have shared some of this life experience with them. They already know it, but I would tell them again if we knew everything was ending.

And, if possible, I would listen to great music (or my guy playing guitar if we had no stereo power) and dance a final celebratory dance. Go out with my energy in a good place -- feeling full of love and gratitude instead of fear.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

I'm not making any plans for what may or may not happen beyond my personal control.

If or when the apocalypse does happen, I'll just accept it, and my final words will probably say ''bring it on'' and if I have any breath left, I'll just happily fade away murmuring the words ''goodnight sweetheart, until we meet again''.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:14 am I'm not making any plans for what may or may not happen beyond my personal control.

If or when the apocalypse does happen, I'll just accept it, and my final words will probably say ''bring it on'' and if I have any breath left, I'll just happily fade away murmuring the words ''goodnight sweetheart, until we meet again''.
My song would probably be Neil Diamond's "Solitary Man." I have no one to say "goodnight" to. I suppose that's an advantage. I have nothing nor anyone keeping me in this world. No one to miss or say goodbye to.

Here's Trolley-like problem. Suppose I martyred myself in an act of defiance against the powers that be in this world. And suppose my selfless act stirred them to spare the world from nuclear annihilation at their billing. Would it, therefore, be criminal for me NOT to sacrifice myself that way? What are people's thoughts here? Should I try it? At least see if it works? It seems I'm just taking up space and turning vital oxygen into CO2 anyway. I mean, I wouldn't do it but perhaps that's why God torments me. I'm not willing to truly sacrifice for the greater good and therefore deserve my lot in life. I mean, God is good by definition and therefore anything God wants me to do is good and if I won't do it, then I'm bad. :idea:
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:44 pm Suppose I martyred myself in an act of defiance against the powers that be in this world. And suppose my selfless act stirred them to spare the world from nuclear annihilation at their billing. Would it, therefore, be criminal for me NOT to sacrifice myself that way? What are people's thoughts here? Should I try it? At least see if it works?
Maybe if you were a young beautiful virgin in some ancient civilization, you could throw yourself into a volcano, then people might create a story or a song about you. But in our current world, why would your sacrifice have any impact at all on the 'powers that be' who are only intent on making as much money as possible by sacrificing their honor?

Instead, you might only inspire other discouraged people to end their lives on a 'bad' day without consideration for all the good days they might have yet to live, and tragically destroy their families and those who care about them.

There is an immense amount of inspiration and support for those who are intent on seeking it out. That is something within our control: we can go looking for it whenever we need it, all throughout our lives, as circumstances change and people come and go, we may need new inspiration and support. We may need to master our ability in starting over and over and over. You are clearly intelligent and full-of-heart enough to do that. Why choose death or settle for bitterness, anger, discouragement, etc., when there is better you can do and experience?

Here's a valuable question to ask: What would you suggest to someone else, who was having the same thoughts and frustrations as you? Would you tell them to kill themselves? Would you tell them there's no hope for anything better than the misery they're experiencing? Why would you tell yourself that, Gary? Have compassion for yourself, as you would have for another who is struggling! We must be a best friend to ourselves in a way that no one else can ever be for us. And that includes loving ourselves when we feel unlovable, and kicking ourselves in the butt to seek the inspiration and support we need to redesign ourselves and our lives when we're not happy with them. We are driving it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

1) Crush my enemies, to see them fall at my feet — to take their horses and goods and hear the lamentation of their women.

2) Continue is to defeat my enemies, to drive them before me, to take from them all they possess, to see those they love in tears, to ride their horses, and to hold their wives and daughters in my arms.

3) Try and get some reading done.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:44 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:14 am I'm not making any plans for what may or may not happen beyond my personal control.

My song would probably be Neil Diamond's "Solitary Man." I have no one to say "goodnight" to. I suppose that's an advantage. I have nothing nor anyone keeping me in this world. No one to miss or say goodbye to.

Here's Trolley-like problem. Suppose I martyred myself in an act of defiance against the powers that be in this world. And suppose my selfless act stirred them to spare the world from nuclear annihilation at their billing. Would it, therefore, be criminal for me NOT to sacrifice myself that way? What are people's thoughts here? Should I try it? At least see if it works? It seems I'm just taking up space and turning vital oxygen into CO2 anyway. I mean, I wouldn't do it but perhaps that's why God torments me. I'm not willing to truly sacrifice for the greater good and therefore deserve my lot in life. I mean, God is good by definition and therefore anything God wants me to do is good and if I won't do it, then I'm bad. :idea:
Yet you come across as so normal and savvy on here (when you aren't being all morbid), and you seem to have shaken off that habit of APOLOGISING all the time :D
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

I would personally, go to the woods.
think about it... All the zombies, are going to go to the city because that's where the mass population is going to try to hide... And the buildings surrounded by concrete and impenetrable walls so that draws the zombies away from the forest. But if you stay in the forest say dig tunnels over a couple months, especially being prior military I'm sure we all know how to dig ******* fox tunnels. Have dead zombie bodies laying at each entrance the decay smell of the zombies kind of worked on The Walking Dead, so that would be a plus and every so often going and scavenging food from a nearby town, or from animals hunting.
and another thing, if your desperately trying to survive, your not going to die, your going to eat anything and everything you an get your hands on.
Then after sometime, you will and effectively learn how to catch prey and bigger to bigger animals.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Toppsy Kretts wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:43 pm I would personally, go to the woods.
think about it... All the zombies, are going to go to the city because that's where the mass population is going to try to hide... And the buildings surrounded by concrete and impenetrable walls so that draws the zombies away from the forest. But if you stay in the forest say dig tunnels over a couple months, especially being prior military I'm sure we all know how to dig ******* fox tunnels. Have dead zombie bodies laying at each entrance the decay smell of the zombies kind of worked on The Walking Dead, so that would be a plus and every so often going and scavenging food from a nearby town, or from animals hunting.
and another thing, if your desperately trying to survive, your not going to die, your going to eat anything and everything you an get your hands on.
Then after sometime, you will and effectively learn how to catch prey and bigger to bigger animals.
THere is one big flaw to your plan.
THere ain't gonna be no zombies. The poxy clipz is gonna be caused by the death of bees, or the death of grass.
Maybe the end of oil?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

And here we are being told that grass is bad for the ecosystem. Fuck 'ecologists'. They are all politically-motivated, agenda-driven fuckwits. There is a reason why grass is associated with peace, happiness and well-being. How did humans become so disconnected from...everything....?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Suppose I martyred myself in an act of defiance against the powers that be in this world. And suppose my selfless act stirred them to spare the world from nuclear annihilation at their billing. Would it, therefore, be criminal for me NOT to sacrifice myself that way? What are people's thoughts here? Should I try it? At least see if it works?
Absolutely! If we knew that you were the Chosen One to save the world, and you didn't, we'd probably kill you anyway before the apocalypse is due. But if you were to commit to so noble a sacrifice, we'd certainly immortalize you in the highest statue the world has ever seen or better still, create a new global religion with you at its center...not a god that decides who qualifies for an afterlife but a human who saved THIS WORLD from annihilation! The hallelujah chorus from that time forward will take on a whole new meaning.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Humans seem to be obsessed by the idea that the end of the world is going to happen one day.

Maybe it's like everything else in life's experiencing..once you've had a taste of life, you then start getting fed up with it. You start to see that your life is just like the movie GroundHog Day over and over again...and you know that your children and grandchildren are going to be forced to experience the same old worn out scenario's that you have.

It seems what was once seen as deliciously seductive and exciting, just becomes over time, faded, really dull, and stale af, as you are forced to live it out, over and over again, so many times, just doing the same retarted mundane things everyday, in as many different ways as you can muster.

Maybe we've just reached a point where we are sick and tired of being sick and tired. And that if we have to watch this same old boring worn out movie of life anymore, we are literally going to go insane, so, that's when we get smart and decide to exit the screen on which the movie is being played out.

Ooooh, I'm such a pessimist.. :wink: :mrgreen: I'm just generalising, I don't mean everyone feels like this, this is just my opinion only.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dubious wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:20 am

Suppose I martyred myself in an act of defiance against the powers that be in this world. And suppose my selfless act stirred them to spare the world from nuclear annihilation at their billing. Would it, therefore, be criminal for me NOT to sacrifice myself that way? What are people's thoughts here? Should I try it? At least see if it works?
Absolutely! If we knew that you were the Chosen One to save the world, and you didn't, we'd probably kill you anyway before the apocalypse is due. But if you were to commit to so noble a sacrifice, we'd certainly immortalize you in the highest statue the world has ever seen or better still, create a new global religion with you at its center...not a god that decides who qualifies for an afterlife but a human who saved THIS WORLD from annihilation! The hallelujah chorus from that time forward will take on a whole new meaning.
I've often thought that dying a heroic death in the name of humanity would probably be the best way to go. Me whimpering and cowering in fear till the end of my time seems like it would be a recessive hell. Maybe there would be 70 virgins for me in the afterlife or something. Then I certainly wouldn't be lonely. Now I just need to figure out exactly what to do and where to do it. Any ideas?