Prayer for the Day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Prayer for the Day

Post by Gary Childress »

In the spirit of the enormously popular "Christianity" thread, I'd like to add a prayer for the day thread. In this thread you can type out any prayers you wish fulfilled or ones expressing faith, thanks, or praise (the famous FTP formula)!

I'll start!

Dear God, since there doesn't seem to be any hope of real happiness in this world, please grant me at least the blessing of dying in my sleep.

Thank you.

Amen!
attofishpi

Re: Prayer for the Day

Post by attofishpi »

Dear God,

Please let Southampton win some football games and prevent them being relegated from the Premier League.

Also, if you have enough time spare after that, please let all the starving kids have some food.

Thanks, and best wishes for any new universes you feel like making.
Brian
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:31 am Dear God,

Please let Southampton win some football games and prevent them being relegated from the Premier League.

Also, if you have enough time spare after that, please let all the starving kids have some food.

Brian
Oh. Yes, forgot about the starving kids. I suppose I should wish them a peaceful death as well. Although it's certainly possible that their prospects for worldly happiness might be better than mine, however, I suspect that's not the case, so I figure I should share my potential send-off-blessing with them too. Thanks for the reminder!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:46 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:31 am Dear God,

Brian
Oh. Yes, forgot about the starving kids. I suppose I should wish them a peaceful death as well. Although it's certainly possible that their prospects for worldly happiness might be better than mine, however, I suspect that's not the case, so I figure I should share my potential send-off-blessing with them too. Thanks for the reminder!
Maybe there are no starving children. I have never met one. Maybe at least 50% of what we perceive as our shared reality, is bollocks. Maybe in the past lives these starving children were rich arseholes that went around ripping off friends family anyone to get more..n more..

Just saying, there's got to be a reason for any suffering where a God is concerned in the mix.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:32 am In the spirit of the enormously popular "Christianity" thread, I'd like to add a prayer for the day thread. In this thread you can type out any prayers you wish fulfilled or ones expressing faith, thanks, or praise (the famous FTP formula)!

I'll start!

Dear God, since there doesn't seem to be any hope of real happiness in this world, please grant me at least the blessing of dying in my sleep.

Thank you.

Amen!
Hopefully not while driving a car, piloting an aeroplane, or while operating carnival equipment for the little children. If you fell asleep so inappropriately, as some do, you would then be the guy who fell asleep at the wheel, and that last mistake will have been your worst.
Walker

Post by Walker »

"Excuse my dust." - Dorothy Parker
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:46 am Oh. Yes, forgot about the starving kids. I suppose I should wish them a peaceful death as well. Although it's certainly possible that their prospects for worldly happiness might be better than mine, however, I suspect that's not the case, so I figure I should share my potential send-off-blessing with them too. Thanks for the reminder!
It's what you make of it. Here's what I make of that enthusiasm! ... Gary.

When sailing off a cliff in a fast car because grandpa fell asleep at the wheel, does one scream or does one peacefully step outside of witness time, and step into a timeless prelude to death of the body?

What do you suppose causes the experience of death to be unpeaceful?

Following the thread-precedent of mere mortals dispensing blessings:

One need not be asleep to live peacefully.

To die with a smile of peace would be a great reward for any life. When their time comes, may your parents die with such smiles so that you also will someday die in peace, when that time arrives again, for you.

- To transition from waking consciousness … to the no-thought of Samadhi … and then unto death …
- To transition from mindfulness ... to the no-existence of awareness as a relationship with a person, place, thing or thought ... and then unto death ...
- That’s the ticket.

Live awake, die peacefully awake.