TIL

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

TIL

Post by Gary Childress »

Today I Learned:

I learned today that I will never have some things I would like more than anything else in this world AND that I don't deserve them. I wish I deserved them but I learned that it's not up to me what I deserve and don't deserve. It's up to certain others around me what they think I deserve. And it's like them taking candy away from a baby. It's just that easy. I suck... :oops:
reasonvemotion

Re: TIL

Post by reasonvemotion »

Gary wrote:
but I learned that it's not up to me what I deserve and don't deserve. It's up to certain others around me what they think I deserve.

Lack of money, a debilitating illness, or a controlling partner or something else.

Imprisoned by what?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

reasonvemotion wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:54 am Gary wrote:
but I learned that it's not up to me what I deserve and don't deserve. It's up to certain others around me what they think I deserve.

Lack of money, a debilitating illness, or a controlling partner or something else.

Imprisoned by what?
It doesn't matter. I've hit a brick wall and there's nothing to do but give up.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

A brick wall?

Shall we dismantle the bricks one by one, enough for you to see the other side?

Gary, are you that athletic looking guy with the tennis raquet?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:22 am Today I Learned:

I learned today that I will never have some things I would like more than anything else in this world AND that I don't deserve them. I wish I deserved them but I learned that it's not up to me what I deserve and don't deserve. It's up to certain others around me what they think I deserve. And it's like them taking candy away from a baby. It's just that easy. I suck... :oops:
Some people have what they want, but then don't want what they have. :oops:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:22 am Today I Learned:

Maybe
https://thedailyzen.org/2015/03/20/zen-story-maybe/

There is a Taoist story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. “Such bad luck,” they said sympathetically. “Maybe,” the farmer replied.

The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. “How wonderful,” the neighbors exclaimed. “Maybe,” replied the old man.

The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune. “Maybe,” answered the farmer.

The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son’s leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out. “Maybe,” said the farmer.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:16 pm Some people have what they want, but then don't want what they have. :oops:
On the other hand: "You don't always get what you want but sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need."
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:23 pm
On the other hand: "You don't always get what you want but sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need."
I need food, shelter and oxygen.

Everything else is a want I don't need.
Walker

Post by Walker »

reasonvemotion wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:54 am Gary wrote:

Imprisoned by what?
Folks are imprisoned by self-cherishing, and self-cherishing is the cause of all personal problems, including suffering. When nothing can be self-identified to self-cherish, then one can be imprisoned by the need for self-cherishing, and being imprisoned by that need is the secret, unadmitted root cause of dishonesty that obscures reality. Fortunately, understanding self-cherishing, its role and limitations in one's life, helps to dispel the ignorance that causes attachment that causes suffering when the attachment is lost, particularly if loss can't ever be replaced, which is the nature of true loss.

One video example is worth a thousand more words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1j0FS0Z6ho
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:43 pm

Maybe.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:07 pm

Maybe.
Maybe I need the love of a good man as well. However, To “need” someone is to buy yourself a first class ticket to the land of codependence. Wanting, on the other hand, is the first step in learning how to love someone. You want to be around the other person because they make you smile, they make you happier.
Needs are something that are non-negotiable for you. If you have a need and it's not met then it's probably gonna be a deal breaker for you. Wants are something that you really desire to have in a relationship but if you don't get it, then it might not end the relationship.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Today I learnt.

How to love, and to realise that until we get the art of loving right, the world in which we live will not be right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YocsjvZz4lA
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Yeah. Kind of looks like I'm going to have to be content with food, shelter and oxygen...for the rest of my short miserable life. Don't get me wrong. I'll be all too happy to be proven wrong, but so far I seem to be batting 1000 on that prediction.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

by Walker
One video example is worth a thousand more words:
What a gem of a find! ROTFL.