If I was a moderator on this forum...

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

I would ban Age for being an excessively noisy and monotonous spammer who harasses people across all topics by writing volumes of obsessed nitpicking over every word he does not understand or agree with because he projects distortions and doesn't know what the fuck anyone else is talking about, he only imagines wrongly that he knows and that he knows better.

May I be a moderator PLEASSSSSE??? :lol:

(I was a moderator on another Philosophy site, and I did a good and fair job... honest!)
Iwannaplato

Re: If I was a moderator on this forum...

Post by Iwannaplato »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:20 pm If I was a moderator on this forum...

I would ban Age for being an excessively noisy and monotonous spammer who harasses people across all topics by writing volumes of obsessed nitpicking over every word he does not understand or agree with because he projects distortions and doesn't know what the fuck anyone else is talking about, he only imagines wrongly that he knows and that he knows better.

(I was a moderator on another Philosophy site, and I did a good and fair job... honest!)
I'd allow Age, though I agree with your criticism (and have more). But Dattaswami would get an immediate couple of shots across the bow and then a full broadside if he didn't change.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Dattaswami would be top my list for 'the chop' because he's invasive--like a noxious weed-- and rarely engages. A proselytising 'spam-bot'.
Promethean would be next because I suspect he might be a serial killer...
That said, anyone causing major disruption would get multiple warnings to 'mend their ways'.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

How about those who are clearly pissed off about something in their life, can't do anything about it, so they come here to vent up a storm...while basically arguing that anyone who does not think exactly like they do, regarding, to cite just one example, everything under the sun, is a fucking retard or a fucking moron.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

iambiguous wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:37 pm How about those who are clearly pissed off about something in their life, can't do anything about it, so they come here to vent up a storm...while basically arguing that anyone who does not think exactly like they do, regarding, to cite just one example, everything under the sun, is a fucking retard or a fucking moron.
So you would ban yourself then? :shock: How very noble of you.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:43 pm
iambiguous wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:37 pm How about those who are clearly pissed off about something in their life, can't do anything about it, so they come here to vent up a storm...while basically arguing that anyone who does not think exactly like they do, regarding, to cite just one example, everything under the sun, is a fucking retard or a fucking moron.
So you would ban yourself then? :shock: How very noble of you.
Let me think about that...

Nope. Here and now I'm not particularly pissed off regarding anything in my life. And certainly not regarding something I can do nothing about. And I do not insist that others are fucking morons and fucking retards if they don't think exactly like me. In fact, I go out of my way to acknowledge that even my own point of view is but a personal opinion rooted existentially in dasein.

No, I'm actually thinking of some others here. And not just Sculptor either. 8)

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:20 pm If I was a moderator on this forum...

Considering that I am, supposedly, on this one's ignore list, for a while now, how would this one even know what I have been saying and writing here and/or how much?

And, WHY would "lacewing" even really care what I am writing and saying here? Unless, of course, I have actually been proving what "lacewing" has been saying here is False, Wrong, and/or Incorrect, which "lacewing" would obviously not like at all, and would be a good reason for "lacewing" to want of get rid of me here.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:01 pm Dattaswami would get an immediate couple of shots across the bow and then a full broadside if he didn't change.
Yes, it's important to warn people. That's how they did it on the other site I was on.

And, of course, this isn't about playing favorites or disliking certain people or opinions. It's about obvious and excessive mis-uses and spam in the forum. I think it's apparent when many members notice such a thing and call it out as such. If posters are incapable of moderating themselves in a non-excessive way, perhaps they should be moderated by the environment as a courtesy for other posters. We don't all have to agree, but we shouldn't have certain posters generating insane amounts of self-indulgent preaching or psycho-projections.

I appreciate the freedoms of this forum, including being able to use profanity when applicable, but complete freedom naturally encourages absurd levels of excess by some. I don't think there's anything wrong with setting a loose standard that discourages insane extremes.

(I was hoping this thread would generate some fun. Thanks for participating.)
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Oh, hello, Age. I see you are responding to my thread, as I expected -- so, I will view your post and respond.
Age wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:28 pm Considering that I am, supposedly, on this one's ignore list, for a while now, how would this one even know what I have been saying and writing here and/or how much?
Yes, you are on my ignore list. As I've explained previously, your posts appear in the responses of other people, so I see that you are still doing what you were doing when I used to read your posts long ago. Which is, incessantly distorting the meaning of all communication by picking apart pieces that you apply your projections to for pages and pages.
Age wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:28 pmAnd, WHY would "lacewing" even really care what I am writing and saying here?
Because you are a noisy troll. I would say it about anyone doing the same.
Age wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:28 pmUnless, of course, I have actually been proving what "lacewing" has been saying here is False, Wrong, and/or Incorrect, which "lacewing" would obviously not like at all, and would be a good reason for "lacewing" to want of get rid of me here.
See, you can't even imagine anything other than your self-serving projection of being 'right'. If you were right, and could present it clearly, it would actually be interesting. But as you can see, that's not the response you get from lots of people... and that's not because they're all wrong and you're right, it's because you're wrong about a lot.
Last edited by Lacewing on Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:06 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:01 pm Dattaswami would get an immediate couple of shots across the bow and then a full broadside if he didn't change.
Yes, it's important to warn people. That's how they did it on the other site I was on.

And, of course, this isn't about playing favorites or disliking certain people or opinions. It's about obvious and excessive mis-uses and spam in the forum. I think it's apparent when many members notice such a thing and call it out as such. If posters are incapable of moderating themselves in a non-excessive way, perhaps they should be moderated by the environment as a courtesy for other posters. We don't all have to agree, but we shouldn't have certain posters generating insane amounts of self-indulgent preaching or psycho-projections.

I appreciate the freedoms of this forum, including being able to use profanity when applicable, but complete freedom naturally encourages absurd levels of excess by some. I don't think there's anything wrong with setting a loose standard that discourages insane extremes.

(I was hoping this thread would generate some fun. Thanks for participating.)
I started thinking about alternatives to banning. Like the moderators can make the text in your posts more and more blurry, until finally you are illegible. Or perhaps they edit portions, but not to improve, just for fun. I suppose there is the upvote and downvote democratic options, but I find it hard to believe this doesn't end up being upvotes for people 'on my team' regardless of quality.

Worst post of the week, perhaps in different categories: worst logic, most off topic, most self-congratulatory without merit, least responsive response (not dealing with points made), most ludicrous analogy, greatest anger at trivia, worst appeal to authority and so on. Perhaps 'winning' would cut down on certain patterns. Though I'd guess some would try to win in certain categories.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:23 am I started thinking about alternatives to banning. Like the moderators can make the text in your posts more and more blurry, until finally you are illegible. Or perhaps they edit portions, but not to improve, just for fun. I suppose there is the upvote and downvote democratic options, but I find it hard to believe this doesn't end up being upvotes for people 'on my team' regardless of quality.

Worst post of the week, perhaps in different categories: worst logic, most off topic, most self-congratulatory without merit, least responsive response (not dealing with points made), most ludicrous analogy, greatest anger at trivia, worst appeal to authority and so on. Perhaps 'winning' would cut down on certain patterns. Though I'd guess some would try to win in certain categories.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very creative and inspiring!
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:26 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:23 am I started thinking about alternatives to banning. Like the moderators can make the text in your posts more and more blurry, until finally you are illegible. Or perhaps they edit portions, but not to improve, just for fun. I suppose there is the upvote and downvote democratic options, but I find it hard to believe this doesn't end up being upvotes for people 'on my team' regardless of quality.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very creative and inspiring!
Oh, thanks. I feel there is still a number of categories left: most hypocritical, worst use of a philosophical term, clearest example of someone confusing assertion with argument, most noticable avoidance, most preachy, worst ad hom, ...
a monthly category for posters who repeat themselves the most.
Special 'awards' for graciously conceding something and nuanced responses.
Most original post.
Best post.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:37 am Oh, thanks. I feel there is still a number of categories left: most hypocritical, worst use of a philosophical term, clearest example of someone confusing assertion with argument, most noticable avoidance, most preachy, worst ad hom, ...
Most original post.
Best post.
Hilarious and brilliant!

Any of us can nominate each other for awards. :lol:
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:43 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:37 am Oh, thanks. I feel there is still a number of categories left: most hypocritical, worst use of a philosophical term, clearest example of someone confusing assertion with argument, most noticable avoidance, most preachy, worst ad hom, ...
Most original post.
Best post.
Hilarious and brilliant!

Any of us can nominate each other for awards. :lol:
I suppose there could just be a thread in one or more subforums. I've mostly seen such efforts fizzle.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:54 am I suppose there could just be a thread in one or more subforums.
Maybe Monthly Awards (as you suggested) could be nominated/announced in one Awards thread.

Whereas Instantaneous People's Choice award nominations could be on-the-spot... as soon as, and wherever, it is earned/inspired.

I love the idea of keeping a sense of humor here. Considering all the nonsense and extremism we are faced with, we need humor more than ever to inspire some balance.