Moderators: AMod, iMod

Do you love football? (u can select 2)

I don't like football, I love it.
30%
I don't like football.
20%
What's football?
10%
Atto is probably the best football player on da forum.
10%
Veg is a kranky ol' battle axe.
30%

Total votes: 10

attofishpi

World Cup 2022

Post by attofishpi »

Whose ya team?

I got two: England & Australia

..I'd like to see Wales do well also, not too bad a result v USA.
iambiguous

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by iambiguous »

The Baltimore Ravens of course.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:39 am The Baltimore Ravens of course.
Er..this thread is about football, not handball :wink:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Whoever wins, I can't see any benefit for me, so I don't really care. :?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

What sport is this?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

I love football (soccer) more than any other sport. I always pull for England.

I will not watch one minute of one game -- not this time. I will buy no merchandise. I will not cheer for any team that showed up, nor will I care who wins or loses.

This is because of what Qatar did to migrant workers, in building their stadia. And anybody who has a conscience and knows those facts should do exactly the same. It was an abomination.

I'm ashamed of every country that sent a team to the world cup. When the story of slavery and murder is eventually told, these will be the people who will say, "How could this happen? We had no idea." And this is how human rights holocausts happen.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:47 pm I will not watch one minute of one game -- not this time. I will buy no merchandise. I will not cheer for any team that showed up, nor will I care who wins or loses.
Me neither, IC.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:57 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:47 pm I will not watch one minute of one game -- not this time. I will buy no merchandise. I will not cheer for any team that showed up, nor will I care who wins or loses.
Me neither, IC.
Good man. You have a soul.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:47 pm I love football (soccer) more than any other sport. I always pull for England.

I will not watch one minute of one game -- not this time. I will buy no merchandise. I will not cheer for any team that showed up, nor will I care who wins or loses.

This is because of what Qatar did to migrant workers, in building their stadia. And anybody who has a conscience and knows those facts should do exactly the same. It was an abomination.

I'm ashamed of every country that sent a team to the world cup. When the story of slavery and murder is eventually told, these will be the people who will say, "How could this happen? We had no idea." And this is how human rights holocausts happen.
Imagine that you are an omniscient and omnipotent God.

You know precisely what Qater has done in regard to the migrant workers there. But you choose to do nothing about it. Call it the Holocaust Syndrome. Besides, all those Muslim infidels will burn in Hell eventually anyway.

As for fútbol, it too is my favorite sport.

On the other hand, in regard to FIFA?

Start here: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/19/spor ... -2022.html

'Michel Platini was expecting a private audience with the president of France when he arrived for lunch on a cold day in November 2010. Instead, as Platini, a legendary French player who in retirement had risen to become one of the most powerful men in soccer, stepped into a lavish salon inside the president’s official residence, he noticed immediately that the man he had come to see, Nicolas Sarkozy, was absent.

'Instead, Platini was directed toward a small group chatting across the room, and to a conversation that would alter the course of his career, stain his reputation, and forever change the sport to which he had dedicated his life.

'Platini smiled as he was formally introduced to the lunch’s guests of honor: Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani, the prime minister of Qatar, and Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, who would, within a few years, replace his father as the country’s absolute ruler. The Qataris had come to Paris to discuss a plan that bordered on the fantastical: Their tiny, impossibly wealthy Gulf state wanted to host the World Cup.

'Platini, a vice president of FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, had long been cool to the idea. A year earlier, he had told friends that he believed allowing Qatar — a country without any meaningful soccer tradition, one lacking basic infrastructure like stadiums — to stage the biggest sporting event in the world would prove disastrous for FIFA. Only two months previously, he had confided to a rival United States bid that he wanted the 2022 tournament to go “anywhere but Qatar.”

'By then, though, the deal was done: A week after the lunch, inside a cavernous conference hall in Zurich, Qatar was confirmed as the host of the 2022 World Cup.

The world’s most popular sport has been reckoning with the consequences of that decision ever since.

'American investigators and FIFA itself have since said multiple FIFA board members accepted bribes to swing the vote to Qatar. (Platini was not among them.) A broad corruption investigation into how FIFA conducts business led to dozens of arrests. Those cases and others helped bring down the entire leadership of FIFA, and almost toppled the institution itself.

'But the decision also irrevocably altered the economics of top-flight soccer. Having won the World Cup, Qatar quickly moved to establish itself as a true power in the sport. Within a year of the lunch at the Élysée Palace, Qatari interests had bought the French team Paris St.-Germain, and a Qatari-owned sports network had begun pouring money into European soccer by buying up broadcasting rights. That influx of cash not only affected what top players earned and where they played: It also briefly threatened to drive an irreconcilable wedge between a handful of the sport’s richest teams and the rest of the game.'

And on and on and on when sport itself becomes deeply embedded in the capitalist political economy: "Show Me The Money!!!!"

FIFA and the "deep state" that is global politics.

And let's not forget: God sees all.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:35 pm Imagine that you are an omniscient and omnipotent God.

You know precisely what Qater has done in regard to the migrant workers there. But you choose to do nothing about it.
Just wait. The reckoning is not now. And it's a good thing for everyone it isn't yet. But...

Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming?" ...But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly people....with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day.

The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be discovered.
(2 Pet. 3:3-10)
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:49 pm
iambiguous wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:35 pm Imagine that you are an omniscient and omnipotent God.

You know precisely what Qater has done in regard to the migrant workers there. But you choose to do nothing about it.
Just wait. The reckoning is not now. And it's a good thing for everyone it isn't yet. But...

Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming?" ...But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly people....with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day.

The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be discovered.
(2 Pet. 3:3-10)
GOAL!!!!!!!!!!

It is good to know though that IC's Christian God was big enough to allow Saudi Arabia [100% Muslim] to beat Argentina [80% Christian].

And even though both Christians and Muslims worship and adore the God of Abraham, Muslims alone will burn in Hell for all eternity. And Deists of course.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

GOAL!!!!!!

10 mins:- Aust 1 - Fra 0
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:48 pm What sport is this?
Veg, did you vote that you are kranky? :)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:47 pm I love football (soccer) more than any other sport. I always pull for England.
Glad to hear.

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:47 pmI will not watch one minute of one game -- not this time. I will buy no merchandise. I will not cheer for any team that showed up, nor will I care who wins or loses.

Yes, I have seen the reporting on the terrible case of the migrant workers, and I was hoping the teams would boycott this year. However, all the teams are attending and that's that.
Me watching the games on TV isn't doing squat for Qatar.

I am disgusted by FIFA, still corrupt and bloated. I saw some data re where all the money goes on World Cups - pretty much all of it goes into FIFA coffers..and for what?
The host country barely gets a penny, even venue ticket sales goes to FIFA.

FIFA threatened to yellow card the captains of the teams that were going to wear a "One Love" arm-band - cause spreading the concept of love in a Muslim cuntry is sooo not right.

I think ALL the teams around the world should drop FIFA and start a new football administration.

Listen to this idiot: https://youtu.be/jft_oxGiw5k
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:11 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:48 pm What sport is this?
Veg, did you vote that you are kranky? :)
That would be you. You should have added another option; 'Do you think attofishpi is a fat, delusional, schizoid fuckwit?'...