Moderators: AMod, iMod

Do you love football? (u can select 2)

I don't like football, I love it.
30%
I don't like football.
20%
What's football?
10%
Atto is probably the best football player on da forum.
10%
Veg is a kranky ol' battle axe.
30%

Total votes: 10

attofishpi

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:57 am I love what we call soccer here in America. Played it for years and years.

But let's face it, when it comes to the World Cup, what does it really mean to win the tournament? Most games are won by a goal or two. It's like, really, given this or that break, either team could have won. At least with sports like baseball here in America, the best team has to win 4 of seven games in both the league championship series and in the World Series.

With the World Cup, teams that get knocked out early because they lose their games by one goal? Sure, if one team was beating all the other teams 4 to 0, 5 to 2, 6 to 1 etc, that would surely be an indication of superiority. But the way things are now?

Of course, what makes fútbol the "beautiful game" is that each goal is of such dramatic, spectacular importance.
I know what you mean. Fact is that the World Cup is every 4 years and is a very short tournament - so they cannot make it as 'truly representative' of THE best team the way that domestic leagues such as the EPL that are played over almost a year are.

However, when you consider that in the group stages you've got to perform to make it to the 16, and then you have to win EVERY game - it does wittle out the great teams from the ordinary.

Post by Age »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:57 am I love what we call soccer here in America. Played it for years and years.

But let's face it, when it comes to the World Cup, what does it really mean to win the tournament? Most games are won by a goal or two. It's like, really, given this or that break, either team could have won. At least with sports like baseball here in America, the best team has to win 4 of seven games in both the league championship series and in the World Series.
And how many countries are actually in baseball's so-called 'world series' compared to in the football 'world cup'?
iambiguous wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:57 am With the World Cup, teams that get knocked out early because they lose their games by one goal? Sure, if one team was beating all the other teams 4 to 0, 5 to 2, 6 to 1 etc, that would surely be an indication of superiority. But the way things are now?

Of course, what makes fútbol the "beautiful game" is that each goal is of such dramatic, spectacular importance.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Wow.

Korea win over Portugal ..so many Korean fans and players in tears at getting through to the final 16!!

Morocco and Senegal are in, Germany are out HAHA!!

This is shaping up to be one of the best World Cups..loving it. :D
duszek

Post by duszek »

Interestingly, China and India do not have any teams at all. India is so hot that running after a ball is a torture that does not make sense.
But China has a moderate climate and a lot of potential players to choose from.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

GOOOOAAALLL!!!!!!

NED 2 - 2 ARG :D

GAME ON!!!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Wow. What a game that was, that's why I love the World Cup, escpecially the knockout stages..every game is like a final.

Arg goalkeeper Martinez won the game at penalties.

The lanky Ned goally had the wrong physique for the job.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

8.5 hrs = GAME ON.

ENGLAND v FRANCE

SGBs

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

What flag is that?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:40 am What flag is that?
SGBs (Saint George Boys - our lot used to scribble it all over the back seats of buses, ya know St George Boys school!)

btw. If you look closely it is on your flag also :mrgreen:
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:46 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:40 am What flag is that?
SGBs (Saint George Boys - our lot used to scribble it all over the back seats of buses, ya know St George Boys school!)

btw. If you look closely it is on your flag also :mrgreen:
I don't have a flag...
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:49 am I don't have a flag...
Oh, well then may as well wave one of these:

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harry Kane "Ooh, this penalty could be tricky...oh! There's one of those flying saucers that saved Brian 2000 years ago, when he fell from an unfinished spiral staircase...all I need to do is kick the ball up as high as I can, and then one of those fat green pilots can head the ball in from there."

...boot...

Brian is f**kin angry.

I often wonder what causality results from men that play football where they have a rainbow corner in their home ground...(Tottenham) )what exactly happens there? For what reason does it exist?

GAME OVER
vegetariantaxidermy

:lol:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

WHAT A GAME!!!

Fra 2 - 2 Arg

Football at its best

Extra time..

I have to admit, even though South Americans spend half the game rolling around crying to mum or God for fake injuries, I would like to see Messi as part of the World Cup win for 'em.
vegetariantaxidermy

It was a draw yet Argentina won? How does that work??