Quote of the day...the sequel

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: Quote of the day...the sequel

Post by Sculptor »

So I rang up my local swimming baths. I said 'Is that the local swimming baths?' He said 'It depends where you're calling from.'

Tim Vine
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

In practice, the goal of skepticism is not the discovery of truth, but the exposure of other people's errors. It plays a useful role in science, religion, scholarship, and common sense. But we need to remember that it is a weapon serving belief or self-interest; we need to be skeptical of skeptics. The more militant the skeptic, the stronger the belief.
Rupert Sheldrake
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Walker wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:30 am
iambiguous wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:21 pm Since some have been complaining that I have "fouled" the other "Quote of the day" thread ...
Question: How is Rhino like a quotation?

Answer: You can hide a Rhino in plain sight by putting it in a herd of Rhinos, and you can hide a good Quote by hiding it in a herd of Quotes, however, a Quote is a much stranger animal than a Rhino, but you have to give it to Rhinos. Even though we know that Rhinos do conjugate, do they even congregate?
Okay, but to paraphrase John Lennon...

"Keep you doped with religion and sports on TV
And you think you're so clever and classless and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see"

Let's call it, say, The Super Bowl Syndrome. Where the commercials themselves are actually worshipped and adored!!

:shock: :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :oops: :evil:
Walker

Post by Walker »

iambiguous wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:22 pm
Let's call it, say, The Super Bowl Syndrome. Where the commercials themselves are actually worshipped and adored!!
That Syndrome goes right back to the caves because the essence of what's going on there, with the sports mania, is pitting skill against skill. Men have always done that with one another. Women do it too, in their own way since they can't possibly compete with men in sports, can they.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:58 pm
In practice, the goal of skepticism is not the discovery of truth, but the exposure of other people's errors. It plays a useful role in science, religion, scholarship, and common sense. But we need to remember that it is a weapon serving belief or self-interest; we need to be skeptical of skeptics. The more militant the skeptic, the stronger the belief.
Rupert Sheldrake
Commentary:

Rupert ... Rupert. What EXACTLY do you mean? Do you mean militancy expressed with the sword, or with the word? Certainly not with the unexpressed thought. I only ask because your preference just may reveal the one you think is most effective.
Walker

Post by Walker »

iambiguous wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:22 pm :shock: :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :oops: :evil: :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :oops: :evil:
Commentary:
"That there looks like Halloween talk, Clem," he said like a TV cowboy.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:15 am So I rang up my local swimming baths. I said 'Is that the local swimming baths?' He said 'It depends where you're calling from.'

Tim Vine
Commentary:
Interesting. We recently traveled to a seaside resort for an event welcoming a new extension to our ever-expanding family. In the late afternoon after the official event some folks had lounged in the hot sun by the main pool complex. When the sun went down all the generations packed in close around the in-ground hot tubs and some still swimming, but this was after they and others had gathered at the connected multi-plex of sports monitors situated over the giant Tiki Bar, all talking their talks at varying volumes including silence because of so many, while down at the hot tubs and pools later so many, so many but not nearly all of the family engrossed in one another within their family relationships, old and budding ... I saw this while fetching things now and then* when anyone said yes, and I looked and realized, out of so many, I was third in line and so close to the oldest one there out of dozens, and so connected to the guests of honor who to me still look children but not as connected as my children, all of whom are wise in their specialities.

:|

* with so many directly connected, one can never rest, you know.

And to this, skeptic that you are, you may ask what is the relevance? The relevance is: philosophy is to always, choicelessly practice, which brings to mind a joke.
Last edited by Walker on Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Walker wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:17 am
Rupert Sheldrake
Commentary:

Rupert ... Rupert. What EXACTLY do you mean? Do you mean militancy expressed with the sword, or with the word? Certainly not with the unexpressed thought. I only ask because your preference just may reveal the one you think is most effective.
I think he means it mainly, but not only in the more metaphorical sense.
adjective
aggressively active or combative in support of a cause:
So, not necessarily with weapons.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:47 am
Walker wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:17 am
Rupert Sheldrake
Commentary:

I think he means it mainly, but not only in the more metaphorical sense.
adjective
aggressively active or combative in support of a cause:
So, not necessarily with weapons.
Mainly, purposefully, maybe even so fervently he might have a stroke ... but effectively?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:45 am
Sculptor wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:15 am So I rang up my local swimming baths. I said 'Is that the local swimming baths?' He said 'It depends where you're calling from.'

Tim Vine
Commentary:
Interesting. We recently traveled to a seaside resort for an event welcoming a new extension to our ever-expanding family. In the late afternoon after the official event some folks had lounged in the hot sun by the main pool complex. When the sun went down all the generations packed in close around the in-ground hot tubs and some still swimming, but this was after they and others had gathered at the connected multi-plex of sports monitors situated over the giant Tiki Bar, all talking their talks at varying volumes including silence because of so many, while down at the hot tubs and pools later so many, so many but not nearly all of the family engrossed in one another within their family relationships, old and budding ... I saw this while fetching things now and then* when anyone said yes, and I looked and realized, out of so many, I was third in line and so close to the oldest one there out of dozens, and so connected to the guests of honor who to me still look children but not as connected as my children, all of whom are wise in their specialities.

:|

* with so many directly connected, one can never rest, you know.

And to this, skeptic that you are, you may ask what is the relevance? The relevance is: philosophy is to always, choicelessly practice, which brings to mind a joke.
THis bring nothing to mind because it is garbled nonsense.
Are you on drugs?

If you do not believe me...
Come back to it a week hence, to re-read. Or get someone, like an English teacher, to run over it with you.
Walker

Post by Walker »

I predict that in one week, you will understand what it says, and if you're a man you'll admit it when you do.
Last edited by Walker on Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

“Like arsenic, toxic people will slowly kill you. They kill your positive spirit and play with your mind and emotions. The only cure is to let them go.” –
Denisse Lisseth
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:00 pm I predict that in one week, you will understand what it says, and if you're a man you'll admit it when you do.

I'm not going to re read that.
Please add some punctuation and relevance.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:01 pm
“Like arsenic, toxic people will slowly kill you. They kill your positive spirit and play with your mind and emotions. The only cure is to let them go.” –
Denisse Lisseth
“Ladies and gentlemen may I present, for your intellectual and philosophical pleasure … The Creature!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkTCRWihPNo
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:07 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:00 pm I predict that in one week, you will understand what it says, and if you're a man you'll admit it when you do.

I'm not going to re read that.
Please add some punctuation and relevance.
Man up, and in a week you will understand, confess to understanding, and be a man.