What are you watching on Netflix? and your suggested recommendations??

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: What are you watching on Netflix? and your suggested recommendations??

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:34 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:37 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:22 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. Will try to watch Rick and Morty when I can.

Have you seen Doctor Foster on bbc iPlayer..? Holy macaroni…it’s sad as fuck, made my eyeballs feel like they were going to drown in the salty see water. 😥

“ The Bodyguard “ was good as well.
Yes. Seems I watch too much liked both of them.
Suranne Jones has an amazing nose, and was more recently seen in a submarine drama recently.
(PS a sculptor has an interest in noses)

Suranne Jones, what an amazing actress she is. Love to watch her.

Also love to watch Jodie Comer acting too..she's amazing as well.

My daughter likes Jodie Coma...she watched her perform live at the London theatre production ''Prima Facie''

Yes. Jodie is totally amazing.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:00 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:58 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:41 am :lol:
I'm enjoying The Sandman, but I don't trust Netflix. Netflix and Amazon have a habit of cancelling series on huge cliffhangers for no apparent reason, even when the ratings have been good.
I've just started the second episode since you posted..seems pretty good so far. It does remind me of American Gods - loved that.

Altered Carbon was really good once you get through the first episode and things start to make sense. (i think it was on Netflix) - cyberpunk on steroids.
I loved season 1, but was pissed off that season two changed to lead. I had trouble being convinced by Joel Kinnaman as a lead actor. Could not get into Season Two - why change a working formula. Were we being woked into a colour change ??
Holy crap!! Are you telling me you didn't finish watching AC to the end? I was a little put off by the concept of having to deal with a new actor each time the spine disk thingy was 'reassigned', but I was actually impressed that traits of the 'soul' of the lead character remained intact - bloody good acting I thought.

Dark Matter was really good, took a while to get into but far future cyberpunk to the max - loved the stowaway c-punk teen that saves everyones arses very often with her compooter/electronics skills, but I think that was Amazon Prime.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:11 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:58 am

I've just started the second episode since you posted..seems pretty good so far. It does remind me of American Gods - loved that.

Altered Carbon was really good once you get through the first episode and things start to make sense. (i think it was on Netflix) - cyberpunk on steroids.
I loved season 1, but was pissed off that season two changed to lead. I had trouble being convinced by Joel Kinnaman as a lead actor. Could not get into Season Two - why change a working formula. Were we being woked into a colour change ??
Holy crap!! Are you telling me you didn't finish watching AC to the end? I was a little put off by the concept of having to deal with a new actor each time the spine disk thingy was 'reassigned', but I was actually impressed that traits of the 'soul' of the lead character remained intact - bloody good acting I thought.

Dark Matter was really good, took a while to get into but far future cyberpunk to the max - loved the stowaway c-punk teen that saves everyones arses very often with her compooter/electronics skills, but I think that was Amazon Prime.
Not heard of Dark Matter - don't think that is Amazon or Netflix.
I'd recommend The Expanse if you are a sci fi junkie like me.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:55 pm

Dark Matter is on Amazon Prime - via my firestick, I just checked. (3 seasons)

Ya, love sci-fi will have a look at Expanse, too much going on one rarely gets time. Sometimes I am recommended something and I get a little disappointed if it's a series rather than just wrapped up in 1 film.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:00 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:55 pm

Dark Matter is on Amazon Prime - via my firestick, I just checked. (3 seasons)

Ya, love sci-fi will have a look at Expanse, too much going on one rarely gets time. Sometimes I am recommended something and I get a little disappointed if it's a series rather than just wrapped up in 1 film.
Oh yeah.
I checked yesterday.
I'd watched the first handful of episodes and it all seemed a bit claustrophobic. The planetfall scenes were a bit samey and there was too much reliance on medium grade CGI.
I realise that it was pretty low budget so these things were to be expected, but I felt that the characters were not interesting enough to carry me through..

I've totally gone off films. The plot pattern tend to be too much the same as every other.
1)Problem; hero identified to solve problem, cut to difficult childhood/marriage etc (optional); there are a couple of set backs;
2) hero has a crisis of confidence; eventually he overcomes the problems and finally confronts the villain.
3) They have a punch-up (despite all the amazing tech- its down to fisticuffs in the end), hero wins, (optional the apparently dead bad guy recovers to try again for a moment),
4) then the whole damn place blows up - falls to the ground, sinks under the waves. - hero and sidekick/daughter/love interest get away.

The Expanse involves several different polities throughout the solar system each with internal conflicts and different interests. Belters (asteroid belt) have their own dialect.
It was originally Netflix who refused to take it beyond season two or three. Amazon took it up seamlessly building the rest of the seasons with the original people.
One thing I like is that they acknowledge the physics of space. weightlessness; ships have to turn and decelerate. They do abuse it but at least it is there.

I hate it when someone in Star Trek is pinned to the deck because a bulkhead has fallen on his legs, and they have to get Data to lift the weight off him. why not just switch off the artificial gravity FFS?
I've almost never seen anyone weightless in all Star Trek, but it is the most fun thing about space travel.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:04 am Seriously who the fuck are you to tell someone to take out the trash?
I’m one of the many inspectors that service folks will encounter on their journey through life. It’s not like they received a full Karen complete with cell phone videos and demanding their names while reciting the location for the video record, and promising to send the video of lounging employees with overflowing trash in the foreground to corporate headquarters ... unless they give me a free slushy.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:24 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:04 am Seriously who the fuck are you to tell someone to take out the trash?
I’m one of the many inspectors that service folks will encounter on their journey through life. It’s not like they received a full Karen complete with cell phone videos and demanding their names while reciting the location for the video record, and promising to send the video of lounging employees with overflowing trash in the foreground to corporate headquarters ... unless they give me a free slushy.
I hope you enjoyed flushing your brain, just then. Maybe next time you might makes some sense.
My advice- keep off the donut and twinkies, you seem cluttered by your glymphatic system
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:05 pm
Walker wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:24 pm
I hope you enjoyed flushing your brain, just then. Maybe next time you might makes some sense.
My advice- keep off the donut and twinkies, you seem cluttered by your glymphatic system
:lol:

Well, I finished Alone and it all boiled down to one thing. This one thing made the winner obvious early on. It's interesting when you figure out the winner way ahead of time based on what they present of the people, or rather, what the people present of themselves that doesn't get edited out by the producers.

A lot of the show was introspective whining so towards the end I was speeding it up a lot. Starvation, loneliness, suffering ... no need to watch it at that stage. Some of them that didn't quit, had the will but not the skill.
Humusk1

Post by Humusk1 »

anything comparable to Are we all gone? I'm not looking for a similar concept, but rather a connection with the characters (I've never been as saddened by a character's death as I was by Cheong- san's). The ship caught fire before it even set sail). A plot similar to that of an escape room is also a plus. Yes, I'm looking to fill this massive void in my soul and heart. I'm sick, so I can't get out of bed for any irl action lol.
Humusk1

Post by Humusk1 »

I recently start watching She Hulk and House of Dragons
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Dead to Me is worth watching if only to marvel at the acting skills (both comedic and dramatic) of the wonderful Christina Applegate and contrast them with her female co-star whose only 'acting skills' seem to consist of a collection of annoying facial tics.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Walker wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:49 am
Well, I finished Alone and it all boiled down to one thing.
Please spoil. What was that one thing?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:10 pm
The conditions were cold wind, rain and snow. They all built cozy little shelters, made chimneys and gathered wood.

They could get food in three ways. Hunting, fishing, and foraging.

They all focused on foraging and fishing, except for the winner.
At least one only foraged for wild roots and fruits and mushrooms. She didn't make it.

Some figured they could live on their stored fat, which was considerable, and they would supplement that by foraging and fishing.

The eventual winner didn’t have any stored fat. He said he couldn’t out-starve anyone. His big focus was to kill a deer with a bow and arrow. He spent a lot of time quietly looking for deer sign and eventually found where they slept, miles from his shelter. He left their place to make his plans and returned another day. He found a deer without it detecting him, and he made a good shot with an arrow. That gave him 70 pounds of meat nutrition, more bang to the bite. After he ate all of that he was catching rabbits (white hares in the snares) with fishing-line and sticks until a fisher started raiding his snares. He was working on changing that situation when the doctor visited him for his medical checkup and asked him for a self-assessment. He said he could keep going, he didn’t know how long, but he felt fine. Then they told him that he won, and he took the news like you might expect.

Fisher
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Walker wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:58 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:10 pm
The conditions were cold wind, rain and snow. They all built cozy little shelters, made chimneys and gathered wood.

They could get food in three ways. Hunting, fishing, and foraging.

They all focused on foraging and fishing, except for the winner.
At least one only foraged for wild roots and fruits and mushrooms. She didn't make it.

Some figured they could live on their stored fat, which was considerable, and they would supplement that by foraging and fishing.

The eventual winner didn’t have any stored fat. He said he couldn’t out-starve anyone. His big focus was to kill a deer with a bow and arrow. He spent a lot of time quietly looking for deer sign and eventually found where they slept, miles from his shelter. He left their place to make his plans and returned another day. He found a deer without it detecting him, and he made a good shot with an arrow. That gave him 70 pounds of meat nutrition, more bang to the bite. After he ate all of that he was catching rabbits (white hares in the snares) with fishing-line and sticks until a fisher started raiding his snares. He was working on changing that situation when the doctor visited him for his medical checkup and asked him for a self-assessment. He said he could keep going, he didn’t know how long, but he felt fine. Then they told him that he won, and he took the news like you might expect.

Fisher
Thanks. I can see how the forager didn't have a chance, missing both fat and protein. Fishing and foraging might have been enough in some places. Did he make his own bow?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:48 pm ...
The fishing was tough. The lake was shallow close to shore, and there were lots of bears hanging around. The best fisherman actually built a boat with a tarp, using branches for a frame. Amazing. He caught some nice fish but not enough.

- The bow and arrows were manufactured. However, it was not a compound bow.
- Here’s an analysis of the tools that contestants used.
https://theprepared.com/blog/alone-winn ... -analysis/

On related note, I read in The Empire of the Summer Moon that a Comanche warrior could fire off a dozen arrows in the time it took to load a flintlock, and of course they made their own bows and arrows. Since they were always hunting for food they were pretty good shots, even while galloping on a horse without a saddle, which is the way we rode as little kids.
Empire of the Summer Moon spans two astonishing stories. The first traces the rise and fall of the Comanches, the most powerful Indian tribe in American history. The second entails one of the most remarkable narratives ever to come out of the Old West: the epic saga of the pioneer woman Cynthia Ann Parker and her mixed-blood son, Quanah, who became the last and greatest chief of the Comanches.

Although readers may be more familiar with the names Apache and Sioux, it was in fact the legendary fighting ability of the Comanches that determined just how and when the American West opened up. They were so masterful at war and so skillful with their arrows and lances that they stopped the northern drive of colonial Spain from Mexico and halted the French expansion westward from Louisiana. White settlers arriving in Texas from the Eastern United States were surprised to find the frontier being rolled backward by Comanches incensed by the invasion of their tribal lands. So effective were the Comanches that they forced the creation of the Texas Rangers and account for the advent of the new weapon specifically designed to fight them: the six-gun.

The war with the Comanches lasted four decades, in effect holding up the development of the new American nation. Gwynne's exhilarating account delivers a sweeping narrative that encompasses Spanish colonialism, the Civil War, the destruction of the buffalo herds, and the arrival of the railroads - a historical feast for anyone interested in how the United States came into being.