Give me your LotR questions

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

promethean75

Re: Give me your LotR questions

Post by promethean75 »

Speaking of Rush, it just so happened that along with Randian objectivism, the boys were deep into Lord of the Rings in the Caress of Steal album. Here is The Necromancer (metaphor for sauron): https://youtu.be/7omle21cL3s
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Of course, my question for any author, philosopher, intellectual etc., is always the same:

"How ought one to live -- rationally, morally -- in a world awash in both conflicting goods and contingency, chance and change?"

I am not really familiar with The Lord of the Rings books. But it strikes me as a world akin to The Game of Thrones series. It's made up of characters that explore familiar philosophical themes -- power and domination, good and evil, living and dying, war and peace, free will and fate -- but there are things like giants and dragons and hobbits and rings and supernatural elements that seem to be something of a cross between adventure and science fiction and fantasy.

It's just never been all that appealing to "me".

And I would always bring it back around to this...

Tolkien, hobbits, middle earth, the books etc., given what particular context that those like you and I might find ourselves in conflict regarding out in our world?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

well i hope u guys are happy because you ran off what wuz quite possibly the smartest, hottest female member this forum has ever seen or may ever see.

every philosophy forum dork's dream and you guys blew it with epic perfection. it's like a bad Big Bang Theory episode. instead of Lord of the Rings, AC is now Bored of the Rings becuz of u guys.

we gotta see if we can get her back. somebody give her a question about wobbling galaxies or something.

I'd like to see her galaxies wobble.

Omg did I just say that?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:17 pm well i hope u guys are happy because you ran off what wuz quite possibly the smartest, hottest female member this forum has ever seen or may ever see.

every philosophy forum dork's dream and you guys blew it with epic perfection. it's like a bad Big Bang Theory episode. instead of Lord of the Rings, AC is now Bored of the Rings becuz of u guys.

we gotta see if we can get her back. somebody give her a question about wobbling galaxies or something.

I'd like to see her galaxies wobble.

Omg did I just say that?
Stop 'thinking' with your dick. And very few on here post photos of themselves anyway, probably because it's irrelevant on a philosophy forum what someone looks like. Perhaps you two 'hotties' should get together privately.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

You know, although there are major limitations to this method for finding stellar distances, the apparent magnitude calculated by using the distance modulus is quite satisfying I've found, provided the stars we're observing have calcium K-line in their spectra. the bappu effect may be negligeable on a much larger scale but I'm confident my team and I have found stars that will produce spectroscopic parallax, so we're counting on the modulus.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

never happen, veg. she's lesbianese, I'm almost old enough to be her pops, and i would only ruin her life anyway.

for real tho if she and her girlfriend are tryna hang out i might fuck around and pay her rent, you feel me?

The way to this girl's heart is to buy her a badass telescope, btw. *taps forehead*
vegetariantaxidermy

promethean75 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:08 am never happen, veg. she's lesbianese, I'm almost old enough to be her pops, and i would only ruin her life anyway.

for real tho if she and her girlfriend are tryna hang out i might fuck around and pay her rent, you feel me?

The way to this girl's heart is to buy her a badass telescope, btw. *taps forehead*
To be honest I found her surprisingly ordinary in her comments. There are far more interesting posters on here. Sort of shattered my illusions about scientists-- especially those in the astronomical field...
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

oh puh-leeze. first of all, she sustained a conversation of a scientific subject with fishpi for all of five posts.... so you can't possibly have enough information about her scientific knowledge to form that opinion. for all u know, she could be the next Stephanie Hawking, Rhonda Penrose or Wendy Heisenberg.

and second of all, she had one of the firmest grips on euthyphro's D I've ever seen, and her brief exposition of the noncognitivist's position was also thoroughly edifying.
vegetariantaxidermy

I wasn't questioning her scientific knowledge. I don't have enough knowledge in that field to make a judgement. I'm just saying it takes a surprisingly short time to suss a person out. Perhaps I was hoping for a Carl Sagan :wink:
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Carly Sagan
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Note to Astro Cat:

Seriously though, what about this...
Of course, my question for any author, philosopher, intellectual etc., is always the same:

"How ought one to live -- rationally, morally -- in a world awash in both conflicting goods and contingency, chance and change?"

I am not really familiar with The Lord of the Rings books. But it strikes me as a world akin to The Game of Thrones series. It's made up of characters that explore familiar philosophical themes -- power and domination, good and evil, living and dying, war and peace, free will and fate -- but there are things like giants and dragons and hobbits and rings and supernatural elements that seem to be something of a cross between adventure and science fiction and fantasy.

It's just never been all that appealing to "me".

And I would always bring it back around to this...

Tolkien, hobbits, middle earth, the books etc., given what particular context that those like you and I might find ourselves in conflict regarding out in our world?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Astro Cat wrote:
promethean75 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:17 pm well i hope u guys are happy because you ran off what wuz quite possibly the smartest, hottest female member this forum has ever seen or may ever see.

I'll come back to the forum if you guys start behaving yourselves, especially promethean...atto is the coolest cat but definitely needs a chill pill...and clearly Veg is getting jealous at all the attention atto is giving me. So atto please go back to complementing Veg, no matter how hard that might be :!:
Ok Astro, but once you get over what must be a DBV (Death by Volcano) depression could you please explain what is causing the Solar system to motion up and down along a sin curve while rotating around the galaxy? Could it be gravity 'waves' ebbing outward from spinning black holes at the centre?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

So it turns out there is an Episode 7, and everybody didn't actually die including the blonde girl with the pointy ears and the long sword and what I presume is now a charcoal horse..so we can rule out DBV induced depression.

You know, sometimes I think I could quite possibly be the biggest plonker in the universe...then by the third Guiness I come back to my senses and real eyes the amazing leg_end that I actually am. (after a carton I forget who I am, and wonder how Barry the dolphin managed to get into my swimming pool)
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:01 am
Astro Cat wrote:

I'll come back to the forum if you guys start behaving yourselves, especially promethean...atto is the coolest cat but definitely needs a chill pill...and clearly Veg is getting jealous at all the attention atto is giving me. So atto please go back to complementing Veg, no matter how hard that might be :!:
Ok Astro, but once you get over what must be a DBV (Death by Volcano) depression could you please explain what is causing the Solar system to motion up and down along a sin curve while rotating around the galaxy? Could it be gravity 'waves' ebbing outward from spinning black holes at the centre?
What is this lol, I never said any of that. Did I get hacked or was that you just playing with quotes?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Astro Cat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:56 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:01 am
Astro Cat wrote: I'll come back to the forum if you guys start behaving yourselves, especially promethean...atto is the coolest cat but definitely needs a chill pill...and clearly Veg is getting jealous at all the attention atto is giving me. So atto please go back to complementing Veg, no matter how hard that might be :!:
What is this lol, I never said any of that. Did I get hacked or was that you just playing with quotes?
She's back!! Yes, I'm a very naughty Brian, playing with quotes 8)