Question of the Day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Question of the Day

Post by Walker »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:50 am are u guys gonna get some Trump trading cards? they're only $99 each.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... ding-cards

(lol it's so bad for the poor sod now that even Fox is fuckin with em)

- He doesn't have a chance, sorry to say.
- His ascendency was a suprise to The Forces.
- The Forces have his number now.
- The Forces have his number on speed dial.
- The Forces are too strong for puny mortals.

- AI is the king of Silicon Valley
- The Law is the King of AI
- When Man is the King of the Law
- The Law protects the fruits of the Valley.
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

why do we drive in a parkway, but park in a driveway???
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

the metaphysical impulse in man is so strong only becuz of the strangeness of experience, the strange way an organism with brains like ours experiences a world iow. the executive functions of that first person awareness that feel themselves to be 'free' and almost independent of the body... like a soul driving the body machine. just the complexity itself of what is happening to produce this phenomenological strangeness is what fuels the metaphysical impulse and imagination. it is a fascinating fact that any of this is happening at all in this universe, it would seem. so when we consider the unlikeliness of conditions being so fine tuned with that strangeness of experience and the feeling of being an intelligent free agent, we end up with a very frustrating open question. and the fact that we know we want immortality and eternal happiness more than anything else - and therefore that  we are interested parties who've already poisoned the well - doesn't help anything becuz we know how we can convince ourselves that something is true becuz we like and want it to be true. and if there wuz ever some stake in a big frustrating philosophical question that won't ever be answered, it would be this one. the explanation for the metaphysical impulse in man.

listen even most Christians don't actually believe any of that stuff... they just present themselves as such becuz if it were wrong, we'd lose nothing, so why not (even if i really don't believe it) live and think and act like it were true?

like i can't even carry a conversation with anyone who believes the stuff in the bible. as nice and intelligent as they may be, i can't be cool with em until they admit their whole shtick is on faith and they're pullin a pascal. in fact that could even impress me; how a deeply pessimistic atheist materialist nihilist whateverist dominated philosophy boards as a Christian and beat everybody in arguments.

I could come up with a whole elaborate metaphysical system of thought and peddle it to a handful of people at a forum some where, no problem.

yo i used to spin aquinastatic ontologic type platonics, sionics and hedgehonics when i smoked the chronic.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Of the Anthropic Principle theories, which one do u like the best... the WAP, SAP or FAP?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Bible study with comrade Rosa Lichtenstein on quora. Today we will examine what importance the ten commandments have had and their role throughout history. Note to students: bible gateway hotlinks are not provided in this material and parts are bolded that shouldn't be because of something screwy with the copy paste function and I ain't about to repaste it so figure it out.

"What was life like before the Ten Commandments?"

What was life like? About the same as it was after the ‘Ten Commandments’, and, as we will see, possibly even better.

By the way, which version of these ‘Commandments’ is the questioner asking about? There are at least three alternatives we know of: two non-identical copies in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5 (but which contain the same rules)…and then there is this one in Exodus 34 (which is totally different):

==============================

1 The Lord said to Moses, “Chisel out two stone tablets like the first ones, and I will write on them the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke. 2 Be ready in the morning, and then come up on Mount Sinai. Present yourself to me there on top of the mountain. 3 No one is to come with you or be seen anywhere on the mountain; not even the flocks and herds may graze in front of the mountain.”

4 So Moses chiseled out two stone tablets like the first ones and went up Mount Sinai early in the morning, as the Lord had commanded him; and he carried the two stone tablets in his hands. 5 Then the Lord came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the Lord. 6 And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7 maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”

8 Moses bowed to the ground at once and worshiped. 9 “Lord,” he said, “if I have found favor in your eyes, then let the Lord go with us. Although this is a stiff-necked people, forgive our wickedness and our sin, and take us as your inheritance.”

10 Then the Lord said: “I am making a covenant with you. Before all your people I will do wonders never before done in any nation in all the world. The people you live among will see how awesome is the work that I, the Lord, will do for you. 11 Obey what I command you today. I will drive out before you the Amorites, Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 12 Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land where you are going, or they will be a snare among you. 13 Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles. 14 Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

[I have added numbers to these new ‘Commandments’, so fellow Quorans can check there are ten — RL.]

15 [1] “Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices. 16 And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.

17 [2] “Do not make any idols.

18 [3] “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt.

19 [4] “The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. 20 Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons.

[5] “No one is to appear before me empty-handed.

21 [6] “Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.

22 [7] “Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year. 23 Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign Lord, the God of Israel. 24 I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the Lord your God.

25 [8] “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning.

26 [9] “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God.

[10] “Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

27 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.

======================

From here:

Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 34

How many Republcians/Evangelicals want us to observe these clauses of the ‘Ten Commandments’ — especially Rule 10?

[1] “Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land….”

[3] “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread….”

[4] “The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck.….”

[5] “No one is to appear before me empty-handed.”

[7] “Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year. Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign Lord, the God of Israel…..”

[8] “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning.”

[9] “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God.”

[10] “Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

I rather think humanity got along nicely before these bat-sh*t crazy rules were enjoined on my ancestors.

For comparison’s sake, here are the other two versions — out of sheer curiosity, can anyone spot any differences between the versions contained in Exodus 34 and Exodus 20?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

3 “You shall have no other gods before[a] me.

4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

7 “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

13 “You shall not murder.

14 “You shall not commit adultery.

15 “You shall not steal.

16 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From here:

Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 20

And from Deuteronomy:

6 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

7 “You shall have no other gods before me.

8 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 10 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

11 “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

12 “Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the Lord your God has commanded you. 13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 14 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your ox, your donkey or any of your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns, so that your male and female servants may rest, as you do. 15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

16 “Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

17 “You shall not murder.

18 “You shall not commit adultery.

19 “You shall not steal.

20 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

21 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife. You shall not set your desire on your neighbor’s house or land, his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

From here:

Bible Gateway passage: Deuteronomy 5

Notice how wives are put on the same level as houses, servants and donkeys.

But, how on earth did humanity manage to cope before the first four commandments were dumped on us?

And is anyone really suggesting that humans thought it fine to go about murdering one another before they were told it was a bad idea by two out of the three versions of the Ten Commandments (a rule that was dropped from the third version)?

There would have been no one to give these commandments to had humanity not already developed detailed codes of conduct — which we now know they had done prior to the crazy rules given to the Israelites, for example the much more detailed Code of Hammurabi.

Here are just a few of its clauses that dealt with:

————————————————————————

stealing and receiving stolen property (6–13)
kidnapping (14)
harbouring fugitive slaves (15–20)
breaking and entering (21)
burglary (22–24)
looting burning houses (25)
slander of ugbabtum-priestesses or married women (127)
definition of "married woman" (128)
adultery (129–132)
remarriage in husbands' absence (133–136)
divorce (137–143)
marriage to nadītum-women (144–147)
maintenance of sick wives (148–149)
gifts from husbands to wives (150)
liability of spouses for debt (151–152)
murder of husbands (153)
incest (154–158)
inchoate marriage (159–161)
devolution of marriage-gifts after wives' deaths (162–164)
gifts to sons inter vivos (165)
succession amongst sons (166–167)
disinheritance of sons (168–169)
legitimation (170)
widows' property (171–174)
marriage of awīlum-class women to slaves (175–176)
remarriage of widows (177)
sacral women (178–184)
adoption and nursing of infants (185–194)
———————————————————-

If anything, the weird ‘laws’ found in the first five books of the Bible represented a major step backward for humanity — especially all those other commandments which ordered them to massacre the indigenous populations of the territory they were commanded to invade — except, in a highly mortal codicil, they were told they could keep all the virgin girls for themselves.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

If u were a militant vegan who happened to be broke and a dude came along one day and said u can have his very successful restaurant chain but u can't change the menu... which is full of meat items.

Would u take the chain and run the restaurants?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

We have not, nor shall we ever be able to, completely rule out the possibility of intelligent design and the existence of something like what we mean when we say 'god'.

But I would argue from the fact of the sheer size of the known universe and the utter gratuity all the countless billions of unimportant galaxies would have, that this 'god' would not be the 'god' talked about in the biblical religions that speak of man as the exclusive purpose of the universe itself.

U see what I'm sayin tho; it's counter intuitive to accept that an all powerful 'god' would create such a vast and massive space with so much content just so a single planet can exist upon which he conducted his experiment.

Now a religious view more along the lines of something like a Hegel 2.0 version of spirituality where evolution is a dynamic rational process of intelligence emerging from stages of matter and self organizing into ever more complex systems finally to become immortalized AI that can create its own energy source from negative space... literally materialize objects out of thin air by being able to assemble atomic constituents into molecular structures at will. Essentially violating the principle of thermodynamics that matter cannot be created. AI will eventually figure it out and become......... God.

Or I'd even take some variation of new age Hinduism if u insisted on maintaining the anthropomorphic element of henotheism. I just can't believe that humans are the center of everything and i think there are galaxies everywhere with solar systems that have planets with intelligent creatures on em. And none of this is talked about in the old or new testaments.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

The Urantia, for example, is something much more my speed. If the truth were that awesome, I would have more to do with... or I should say I would be much more tolerant of, Christianity.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Persistently embracing sin is considered the same as rejecting the leadings of the Adjuster, rejecting the will of God. Constant selfishness and sinful choosing lead eventually to iniquity and full identification with unrighteousness, and since unrighteousness is unreal, it results in the eventual annihilation of the individual's identity. Personalities like this become "as if they never were." The book says that: "...in the last analysis, such sin-identified individuals have destroyed themselves by becoming wholly unreal through their embrace of iniquity." The concepts of Hell and reincarnation are not taught."

Now see that sounds way more reasonable and simpler to me. U are a process that by not following a certain order, will end up disintegrating itself.

But what about people who 'meant no harm' if and when they commited a sinful act? Would they be annihilated at death? I don't think, that doesn't sound right. So there would, then, maybe be some kind of reincarnation where at death the soul becomes a material being again for the opportunity to, what? Get like a do-over or something?

Bro imagine being the Adjuster assigned to a guy who just keeps fuckin up every time he lives.

Adjuster 1: so Pete, how's that new client of yours going?

Adjuster 2: fuckin guy does the same thing every time. Ignores me. I say don't do it u know it's wrong. What does he do? I tell ya if this guy doesn't start listening to me I'm gonna ask management for a new client. I can't keep doin this, Pete.

Adjuster: hey I know what u mean, pal. Had a client once in the nineteenth century.... Bulgarian guy... divorced four wives for the wrong reasons (had an affair and was commiting adultery) three lives in a row. Two divorces during the second life. I tell em don't do it man that's insensitive, dishonest and it dishonors your wife.... and he still does it.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

https://vidmax.com/video/223132-6-class ... hotel-bill

This is as much an economic problem as it is an ethical one. If four hos share a room, how are they to determine who pays what portion of the bill? Are they obligated to pay equal parts or should their percentage be determined by how much they make during the time in which the room is used?

Discuss.