Getting to know people

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Getting to know people

Post by Age »

Astro Cat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:57 pm
Age wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:46 pm What is 'quiescence in galaxies', from your perspective? And,

What is 'dark energy', to you?
Quiescence is when a galaxy is quenched (no longer has a healthy star formation rate).
Which is said to be less than what, exactly?
Astro Cat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:57 pm Quenching is associated with a lot of different aspects of galaxies such as their morphology (spheroid vs. disky), Sérsic index (drop-off in intensity as a function of distance from the center), AGNs (active galactic nuclei, e.g. their black holes), etc. We observe a buildup of high stellar mass spheroid galaxies with low specific star formation rates at lower redshifts (so, more recent in cosmic time) than at high redshifts, but it's tough to discern what common features of quiescent galaxies might have a causal role in their quenching or what features result from quenching.

Dark energy is any energy density with a negative equation of state that doesn't scale with the scale factor of the universe. It drives the acceleration of cosmic expansion
So, to you, the alleged acceleration of expansion of the Universe is caused by any energy density with a negative equation of state that does not scale with scale factor of the Universe, correct?

If this is correct, then what is the scale factor of the Universe, exactly?
Astro Cat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:57 pm and currently dominates the energy density of the universe, even over matter (baryonic and dark alike).
True?

So, what does the energy density with a positive equation of the state that does scale with the scale factor of the Universe actually do, exactly?
Astro Cat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:57 pm But these are topics I can speak on in threads dedicated to them if you'd like to open one, or wish me to. I want to get to know co-posters in this thread.
Okay. I wish you to.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Age wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:35 am
Okay. I wish you to.
Done: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=35168

Post by Age »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:28 pm
Phil8659 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:41 pm I see a number of people, so bright asking Questions about me, when, if they got off their lazy chair, all they had to do is go to the Internet Archive and actually do some real work instead of just making noise to study my work. Universal Language is a PDF volume set, one of those books has my work in geometry in it. There are over 20,000 pages of demonstrations. You can work them using Geometer's Sketchpad and Mathcad.

Do some real work instead of making noise.
That's completely impressive. You should definitely meet Advocate, he has answered all the questions of life the univeerse and everything and he has gone one better than you by fitting all that into a single google sheets doc. So reel your neck in, you are second best.

Unless we include Age, who also has all the answers in the universe.

There is also the one known here as "flashdangerpants" who has ALL the answers AS WELL.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:28 pm So actually you are third best. And that's just on this site.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Astro Cat wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:35 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:09 pm Oh that's me told, I'm completely cowed by your awesomeness now that you have delivered a haughty put down. Frankly my bottom parts are sore and I may not me able to sit for the next week.

But this guy has answered every question in the whole of philosophy, and it's all in one Google spreadsheet, he didn't even need Excel!
So he's like double the genius you are. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29981
Do... do I need to get the popcorn out?
Sadly not, I am the bad nurse at the mental facility that tries to arrange bumfights between the syphilitic hobos that wander the halls. But I never get my desired entertainment, true nutters are less inclined to argue about which of them is the Real Napoleon than one might hope.

We quite often get one of these medium quality Unabomber MKII characters. They drop in to suggest you ask them their IQ before radiating a set quantity of vanity prior to finding a new forum on which to lament the sad state of affairs in which their genius can pass unrecognised. I have no idea what complex arrangement of personality disorders and head injuries propels them in this quest.

But the PN forums are a full, service soup to nuts, facility dedicated to the oversight of every type of psychiatric decline known to man, woman, or weasel. As such we always retain an on call textbook obvious NPD level narcissist to handle these situations. We used to have an interesting one called Bill, but sadly Bill invested his entire pension in cryptocurrency and thus we have been downgraded to 'Advocate' who offers much less variety.

The actual interesting thing really is that one of our best nutters has encountered a girl on the internet and is wearing his best sanity trousers to impress. He hasn't issued a single challenge to ask him a "clarifying question", nor used the word "theee" even once in this thread.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:59 am Sadly not, I am the bad nurse at the mental facility that tries to arrange bumfights between the syphilitic hobos that wander the halls. But I never get my desired entertainment, true nutters are less inclined to argue about which of them is the Real Napoleon than one might hope.

We quite often get one of these medium quality Unabomber MKII characters. They drop in to suggest you ask them their IQ before radiating a set quantity of vanity prior to finding a new forum on which to lament the sad state of affairs in which their genius can pass unrecognised. I have no idea what complex arrangement of personality disorders and head injuries propels them in this quest.

But the PN forums are a full, service soup to nuts, facility dedicated to the oversight of every type of psychiatric decline known to man, woman, or weasel. As such we always retain an on call textbook obvious NPD level narcissist to handle these situations. We used to have an interesting one called Bill, but sadly Bill invested his entire pension in cryptocurrency and thus we have been downgraded to 'Advocate' who offers much less variety.

The actual interesting thing really is that one of our best nutters has encountered a girl on the internet and is wearing his best sanity trousers to impress. He hasn't issued a single challenge to ask him a "clarifying question", nor used the word "theee" even once in this thread.
I giggled at that probably more than I should have. Bravo
Atla

Post by Atla »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:28 pm That's completely impressive. You should definitely meet Advocate, he has answered all the questions of life the univeerse and everything and he has gone one better than you by fitting all that into a single google sheets doc. So reel your neck in, you are second best.

Unless we include Age, who also has all the answers in the universe. So actually you are third best. And that's just on this site.
I think his best match will be the Hedgehog, this person also seems to specialize mainly in geometry, especially in points and lines! Actually if they cross paths, the world could witness one of the most epic philosophical showdowns in history. (If his extraterrestrial friends allow it to happen.)

Post by Age »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:59 am
Astro Cat wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:35 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:09 pm Oh that's me told, I'm completely cowed by your awesomeness now that you have delivered a haughty put down. Frankly my bottom parts are sore and I may not me able to sit for the next week.

But this guy has answered every question in the whole of philosophy, and it's all in one Google spreadsheet, he didn't even need Excel!
So he's like double the genius you are. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29981
Do... do I need to get the popcorn out?
Sadly not, I am the bad nurse at the mental facility that tries to arrange bumfights between the syphilitic hobos that wander the halls. But I never get my desired entertainment, true nutters are less inclined to argue about which of them is the Real Napoleon than one might hope.

WHY are you ASSUMING that that one is a "he" here?

Also the 'theee' word has NEVER been used throughout this WHOLE forum, except, OF COURSE, from 'you' ALONE "flashdangerpants".

Post by Age »

Astro Cat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:09 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:02 pm I'm some random middle aged English IT dude with a degree in philosophy and I'm litreally no more interesting than that phrase indicates.
As an utter bastard though, I am super intrigued to work out how to set this Phil8659 guy onto Advocate, that looks like a marriage made in heaven.

I am sort of interested to see what an actual astrophysicist makes of some the the spicier psedudo-scientific stuff that happens on here. Does astrophysics have much overlap with quantumnumunumunums?
I've seen some of the, ah, cringier pseudoscience here, if that's what you're talking about :P
Would you like to provide some examples of what you see as and call "some of the cringier pseudoscience here". Then we can get to know 'you' better.
Astro Cat wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:09 pm There is some overlap, yes. I had to take QM as an undergrad and then twice more (QM1 and QM2) during my grad career. We have to make use of QM because we do spectrometry and have to know the behavior of very cold and very hot gases (and everything in between). On the cosmo side someone would want to know QFT (quantum field theory) to work with some forms of dark energy (usually called Quintessence, it's any dark energy with an equation of state that's negative and rational like -2/3) and you'd need QFT to work directly with inflation as well (for the inflaton field).

I haven't had QFT, there's no class offered here (though at our request we did basic QFT at the end of QM2). Some of us may try to take a class remotely and work with anyone that wasn't able to. I've considered doing it just to teach it here at some point. But as of right now I don't have QFT under my belt, and the strictest answer to your question is that the sort of QM we're interested in astro and cosmo is probably different than the QM quacks are interested in.
FlashDangerpants

Age wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:08 am WHY are you ASSUMING that that one is a "he" here?

Also the 'theee' word has NEVER been used throughout this WHOLE forum, except, OF COURSE, from 'you' ALONE "flashdangerpants".
Partly because you are Ken, but mainly because I don't care.
Now put your sanity pants back on before everyone sees your crack of madness.
You were doing very well using only sensible capitalisation and no pointless scare quotes for a while there.
FlashDangerpants

Atla wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:15 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:28 pm That's completely impressive. You should definitely meet Advocate, he has answered all the questions of life the univeerse and everything and he has gone one better than you by fitting all that into a single google sheets doc. So reel your neck in, you are second best.

Unless we include Age, who also has all the answers in the universe. So actually you are third best. And that's just on this site.
I think his best match will be the Hedgehog, this person also seems to specialize mainly in geometry, especially in points and lines! Actually if they cross paths, the world could witness one of the most epic philosophical showdowns in history. (If his extraterrestrial friends allow it to happen.)
Ah, the double serial-killer approach? I do like it, but what if they fuck instead of fight? Working together they could leave terrifying trail of dead rentboys covering the entire continental USA. It's too risky, we must keep them apart.

Post by Age »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:03 pm
Age wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:08 am WHY are you ASSUMING that that one is a "he" here?

So, you ASSUME some 'thing', EXPRESS 'it', and then CLAIM you ASSUMED 'it,' "mainly BECAUSE" you, supposedly, do NOT care.

Is, supposedly, "NOT caring" also the 'main reason' WHY you ASSUME most of the 'things' that you do?
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:03 pm Now put your sanity pants back on before everyone sees your crack of madness.
OF COURSE resort BACK TO 'trying to' ATTACK the 'person' when you can NOT attack the words.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:03 pm You were doing very well using only sensible capitalisation and no pointless scare quotes for a while there.
And, ONCE AGAIN, we SEE WHERE and WHY ASSUMING leads people SO FAR ASTRAY.

'Scare quotes', for example, is NOT even a term KNOWN by some people, let alone USED by some people.

Post by Age »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:08 pm
Atla wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:15 pm

Ah, the double serial-killer approach? I do like it, but what if they fuck instead of fight? Working together they could leave terrifying trail of dead rentboys covering the entire continental USA. It's too risky, we must keep them apart.
The IMMATURITY here SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.
FlashDangerpants

Age wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:53 pm

So, you ASSUME some 'thing', EXPRESS 'it', and then CLAIM you ASSUMED 'it,' "mainly BECAUSE" you, supposedly, do NOT care.
And?

You joined a conversation about getting to know each other and the only things anybody would learn about "you" is that you are Ken. Information supplied not by you, but by me.

So what's your point Ken?
Atla

Post by Atla »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:08 pm Ah, the double serial-killer approach? I do like it, but what if they fuck instead of fight? Working together they could leave terrifying trail of dead rentboys covering the entire continental USA. It's too risky, we must keep them apart.
Nothing we can do to stop it, all the points and lines in the world are already organizing themselves into complex shapes, it's clear that they are fated to meet. I don't worry much though, they may fuck first but then they'll remember that there can only be one true master of universal geometry.

Post by Age »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:17 pm
Age wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:53 pm
And?

You joined a conversation about getting to know each other and the only things anybody would learn about "you" is that you are Ken. Information supplied not by you, but by me.
But what you are ASSUMING here IS Wrong, ONCE AGAIN.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:17 pm So what's your point Ken?
In regards to 'what', EXACTLY?