Lifestyles.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veganman

Lifestyles.

Post by Veganman »

I know this question is probably an invite to every smart arse out there but if you could be serious I'd like to ask if any of you are living what could be termed an "alternative lifestyle?"
Angelo Cannata

Re: Lifestyles.

Post by Angelo Cannata »

I am interested in this topic, but we need to be clearer. Some people are really alternative while externally you can’t see anything special and viceversa, some people think they are alternative just because they buy products of a different brand.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Veganman wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:32 pm I know this question is probably an invite to every smart arse out there but if you could be serious I'd like to ask if any of you are living what could be termed an "alternative lifestyle?"
Do you have any examples of what you're looking for? Alternative to what?
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

Well, to be clearer, I would say that an alternative lifestyle tends to refer to those whose lives are significantly different to the cultural norms, such as those who live off-grid and try to be as self sufficient as possible for example, and perhaps those who live as ethical vegans. In which case the term can also apply to those who live under a different moral code than that which would be considered the norm. Communal living could be considered alternative in our society because in the west most people don't live in communes. If some people consider being alternative because they buy a different brand then they have no idea what it means to live a life that is culturally and socially different from the norm, a life that is holistically different for one reason or another.
Angelo Cannata

Post by Angelo Cannata »

Before going too much foreword, I would add another little step.
“Alternative lifestyle”, from a philosophical point of view, can be considered about its ability to make a difference. In other words, a radical problem in philosophy is finding something that really makes a difference. What makes everything flat is the ability of criticism to demolish anything. Even vegans, or self-sufficient people, can be criticized at their very roots. Nothing can escape criticism, not even criticism itself.
So, the philosophical question becomes: is it possible to make a difference in this world? Or: how to deal with the difficulty of trying to make a difference?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Veganman wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:32 pm I know this question is probably an invite to every smart arse out there but if you could be serious I'd like to ask if any of you are living what could be termed an "alternative lifestyle?"
Yes.
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

Angelo Cannata wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:28 pm Before going too much foreword, I would add another little step.
“Alternative lifestyle”, from a philosophical point of view, can be considered about its ability to make a difference. In other words, a radical problem in philosophy is finding something that really makes a difference. What makes everything flat is the ability of criticism to demolish anything. Even vegans, or self-sufficient people, can be criticized at their very roots. Nothing can escape criticism, not even criticism itself.
So, the philosophical question becomes: is it possible to make a difference in this world? Or: how to deal with the difficulty of trying to make a difference?
Yes and no. There is no doubt that those who choose to become ethical vegans and therefore live an alternative lifestyle are hoping to make a difference, as are many self-sufficient people. But then maybe some of the latter only care about making the difference for themselves and have given up on the idea of trying to change the world. Other examples of alternative lifestyles could include naturism or polyamory, neither of which is necessarily concerned with making a difference in this world, just with making a difference for themselves.
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

Astro Cat wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:50 am
Alternative to the main stream, living off-grid for example, or being part of some sort of community or group that tends to differ in some way from the social/cultural norms?
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

Astro Cat wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:50 am
Incidentally, I'm also interested in astrophysics and cosmology.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Veganman wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:32 am Alternative to the main stream, living off-grid for example, or being part of some sort of community or group that tends to differ in some way from the social/cultural norms?
Ok, I mean I guess I hang out with an "alternative" crowd, prefer dive bars to brightly lit/spunky places, have multiple tattoos and a few piercings, but I perceive this just to be adhering to a subculture; it's not really unique or anything. I do look at people waiting in line for the popular clubs in their preppy/fratty/sorority style clothes (and hear about all the rapes, fights, etc. that happen in those clubs) and wonder why the hell anyone wants to be a "normie" though.
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

You sound somewhat younger than me/us Astro Cat. I can't remember the last time either of us went to any bar or club! Lol. We did go to some rather "alternative" clubs in the past though, but these days we live a much quieter life with work and animals taking up most of our time. I do enjoy reading about philosophy though, mainly ethical philosophy, as well as environmentalism and cosmology. I'm going off subject a bit so getting back on track, you sound American? In which case I would have thought you would have heard or come across lots of alternative lifestyles out there? We live in the UK and as ethical vegans we find that our lifestyle/ethical views are considered very alternative, so much so that we feel like aliens living amongst another species ... maybe we are! Lol. 👽