College essay in philosophy

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

qilyficat

College essay in philosophy

Post by qilyficat »

Hello everybody! I started this thread not to get help with content, although I'm new to philosophy and can't boast of a strong knowledge of this discipline. My question is a little bit different. I have finished my paper, but now I have to edit it. And this stage is the most awful for me since I always spend all my free time on it and achieve no result. If there are college students, please, share your formatting/ editing tips with me, I would be very grateful for it.
qilyficat

Re: College essay in philosophy

Post by qilyficat »

UPD: I found a good solution for my problem and I want to share it here. I relied on people’s help, but I kept trying to carry out my own research that turned out to be very productive. Perhaps, someone will consider this information useful and will need it. The first source that helped me was Stanford blog https://hai.stanford.edu/news/blog — I got some time-managing tips and study hacks that helped me to spend less time on homework. I also found the article on creating a college student resume. It let me understand the basic principles of academic writing and craft an outline for my project. https://stanforddaily.com/ newspaper turned out to be a great source of general information for my project. If someone still has any questions, don’t hesitate to contact me.
Kenny92

Post by Kenny92 »

I agree - sometimes topics here die in the heat of the discussion. Too bad yours got lost too. It seems like enough time has passed. How is your essay now?

About the editing, I like it the other way around. You're just getting already written page to perfection. And the moment when the only thing you have is a blank page? Scary. There is one article with a checklist. Not the most convenient, but quite informative. If I'm struggling with my work, I sometimes refer to it: https://custom-writing.org/blog/revisin ... checklists

Let this thread rise again like a phoenix from the ashes!
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Kenny92 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:04 am Let this thread rise again like a phoenix from the ashes!
With the suspicious advert for the college essay "editing" service in the middle of his post?

This dude joined for one day in Jan to post enough stuff that his account was allowed to post URLS, then he came back a month later to post a link.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

https://custom-writing.org/blog/revisin ... checklists
Is helpful for academic essays in sciences, social sciences, history, and philosophy.

Philosophy essays by students are required to be explicit like the link above says.
Much philosophy has been written as poetry, sermon, theatre, hearsay, and rough notes at tutorials; but not as far as I know by undergraduates who are required to explain what they mean fully, objectively, and concisely.

The advice in the link is not altogether applicable to arts essays where expressing feelings matters and the structure of the essay contributes to expressiveness.
Phil8659

Post by Phil8659 »

Belinda wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:48 am https://custom-writing.org/blog/revisin ... checklists
Is helpful for academic essays in sciences, social sciences, history, and philosophy.

Philosophy essays by students are required to be explicit like the link above says.
Much philosophy has been written as poetry, sermon, theatre, hearsay, and rough notes at tutorials; but not as far as I know by undergraduates who are required to explain what they mean fully, objectively, and concisely.

The advice in the link is not altogether applicable to arts essays where expressing feelings matters and the structure of the essay contributes to expressiveness.
Personally, I do not believe one can, today, learn philosophy from current educational systems. I have yet to see any educator who was not just a parrot, or simply stupid.
But if you search the Internet Archive, the worlds largest digital library, you can find about anything you want for a personal education.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

always read the source materials, not the cliff notes

-Imp
Phil8659

Post by Phil8659 »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:55 pm always read the source materials, not the cliff notes

-Imp
Absolutely, and this means not those who wrote about a philosopher, but the philosopher's own works.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Phil8659 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:47 pm
Belinda wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:48 am https://custom-writing.org/blog/revisin ... checklists

Personally, I do not believe one can, today, learn philosophy from current educational systems. I have yet to see any educator who was not just a parrot, or simply stupid.
But if you search the Internet Archive, the worlds largest digital library, you can find about anything you want for a personal education.
Learning philosophy is for educating the brain/mind to think energetically and creatively. Philosophy tutors don't regard the student like an empty petrol tank needing filled.
Phil8659

Post by Phil8659 »

Belinda
Why look at you, it made you happy spewing gibberish.
Phil8659

Post by Phil8659 »

Belinda
Have ever noticed the difference between Plato and Aristotle?
Plato taught that a mind has a biologically defined job to do.
Aristotle taught that one's purpose is to be happy.

You like drugs, don's you?

It is a wonderful world when any dumb ass teacher can spew gibberish, and not even imagine what the biologically defined job of a mind is.
You must also be religious, they all teach the same bull shit.

I really do find creatures like you horrible, an abomination.

Why, dont you know, Philosophy is like meth, make you fast and happy! magic, to pull anything you want right out of your own butt.

So, tell me. How do you create with a brick, by not knowing how to make one?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Phil8659 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:32 pm
Belinda
Why look at you, it made you happy spewing gibberish.
While I talk nonsense some of the time I do try to talk sense, and I can remember my nonsense before and after I got some sense taught to me, and I did progress a little.
I can imagine Socrates in the Agora looking at someone talking nonsense and simply raising one quizzical eyebrow at them.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

1. Use consistency in font, font size and all formatting parameters. Your college should specify line spacing and other requirements.
2. Stick to within 10% of word limits. Do not run away with the idea that a short essay can say all you want. You can always add more examples or arguments. But do not think it will endear you to your reader to make your essay too long. The person marking your essay will have a pile of scripts to mark and shall be pissed off if you are going on and on. I have know markers to simply strike a line through all words beyond the limit.
3. If you have a long essay then you get brownie points for being more succinct, cutting the word count without loss of meaning. This will thicken up your arguments leaving a concise and professional essay.
4. If you have a short essay, maybe you are missing something?
5. Be consistent in your citations and referencing, avoiding footnotes. Footnotes can be evidence that you have not considered something early enough to weave it into your argument - and this can look sloppy. It also forces the reader to break from the argument. Most colleges use the Harvard method, which elegantly references the works in parenthesis, enabling the reader to read with flow unbroken.
6. Never bullshit. Assume that the marker has read the books you are citing.
7. Do not plagiarize. The referencing system means never having to do this, as you get points for gathering arguments from sources. There are really good computer applications that are used to unfailingly identify text that has been stolen from another source. And your marker will easily see the change in style and run the apps.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Phil8659 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:36 pm
Belinda
Have ever noticed the difference between Plato and Aristotle?
Plato taught that a mind has a biologically defined job to do.
Aristotle taught that one's purpose is to be happy.

You like drugs, don's you?

It is a wonderful world when any dumb ass teacher can spew gibberish, and not even imagine what the biologically defined job of a mind is.
You must also be religious, they all teach the same bull shit.

I really do find creatures like you horrible, an abomination.

Why, dont you know, Philosophy is like meth, make you fast and happy! magic, to pull anything you want right out of your own butt.

So, tell me. How do you create with a brick, by not knowing how to make one?
Resisting confirmation bias is taught as part of critical thinking.

While we may all of us get our ideas from the culture we can develop ideas according to our own fashion. Comparing and contrasting existing ideas is creative.
Phil8659

Post by Phil8659 »

Belinda
I discovered the TV series The Old Man yesterday and pigged out on the first 5 episodes.
My whole project is learning what we are, why we are and how to do our biologically defined job.

Socrates dream, Plato's quest, the outcome of human evolution until a certain point in human history, all tell us man is evolving to know these things and what it will produce in man and how it will benefit him. My whole life, from diapers to death is that quest.

This is how it is done. Understanding the Unit. the definition of a thing, which is the foundation of every thing, will lead to the unity of human purpose. It cannot do other wise.

The beginning is the end and the end is the beginning. It starts with the unit and ends with Unity. That is not a dream, but it is an inevitability.

In order to think of particulars, one must first understand the universal.

We all start, confused by the many particulars, until, as Plato said, we see the unity, and no further can one go, to the the light of unity. One world, one humanity, one purpose.
It starts with the two parts of a thing, a unit, and from it, all else follows. If one really understands just one thing, one can figure out every thing. Being creative is not just throwing shit together, it is building, as Christ, by one grain at a time. Just like counting, something constructive, and a thing with purpose.
A person who believes in nothing, is nothing. A person who believes in just one thing, can build all the wonders, all one's life.

Now, you might not understand my words, but I give you an example in a reply to the thread,
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=35239
I attempt in all my threads, even the one asking to post your picture, now that one will really confuse most.