Funny things in your life involving you or friends

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

promethean75

Re: Funny things in your life involving you or friends

Post by promethean75 »

Meanwhile, in a home depot parking lot...

https://streamable.com/qdc512
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

promethean75 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:47 amThat's one mean machine btw, atto. I had'a 1970 oldsmobile cutless sport when I was 19. Had the 350 rocket in it, three speed with a shift kit. You could chirp the tires comin outta second. Paint job was all faded tho so it was far from mint condition.
Just looked up your machine-ya you would have left me standing - maybe if I had the GT model in the original pic I posted - that wasn't mine, I just couldn't find a pic of the next step down - mine. I always thought my XB was a 300cc, 4.9Ltr but I couldn't find that apart from V8. Mine was a straight 6. Never have been much in to auto stuff, but ya I loved that car, my beast. The body on mine was a bit wobbly and faded paint too.
My parents befriended this old piss head when they returned from the UK and I picked them up from the airport (there's a rather funny story to that- the day I picked them up-although - might not go there...yet!) - so anyway - this piss head pom sold it to me. The cream roof was much more beige toward brown from the fact he was a chain smoker - so I sprayed it all matt black - all the interior was black. Put a cheap stereo in and boosted it with a small amp and some decent wattage speakers in the back.
I remember seeing Jurassic Park at the drive ins for the first time, smoking a couple of spliffs with my girlfriend sat in the back. The breathing of that Tyro-rex made the whole car shake, and we both were bloody spooked! Seems the large boot n body acted rather well with the bass. Then some bloke got eaten while he literally shat his pants - hilarious!
So many many stories with that car, absolutely loved it as I am sure you did.

Anyway, here's a pic I just found - I am the handsome dude sat on the left - you can even see a rib FFS! Got some work to do, rather flabby now:

ps. Er, just watched yer video from above - maybe that's what happened to me, washed down with copious amounts of beer.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

promethean75 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:53 pm Meanwhile, in a home depot parking lot...

https://streamable.com/qdc512
Made me hungry :lol: Do yanks eat anything other than junk food?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:36 am I bet that car got you a lot of female attention. Funny, but I could never understand the obsession that the females I knew had with the kind of cars guys drove. That would be the early to mid eighties?
Although, one guy picked me up for a date on his crappy motorbike that had no foot rests for the passenger and nothing for me to hold onto. What a nightmare, and the 'date' was stock car racing, the most boring thing I'd ever been to. Torture in fact. He also picked his nose in front of me so needless to say that was the last I ever saw of him.
I just got off the ph to the bloke at the back there - he just told me he came over in 1993 - when that pic was taken. I don't know if I got much attention from the ladies because of it, especially as I had a girlfriend..I was oblivious to such matters (lol).

That is hilarious about the ride on the motorbike, maybe having no 'foot rests' (pegs) was a ploy to make you snuggle up tighter to cling on to that fella!
Ya yuck. I was up the shops yesterday and there were these two dropkick middle aged blokes, one of them said 'got one' and let a fart rip as his mate giggled. I promptly veered my trolley sideways and pretended I needed bread. Then about 3 minutes later I was about to go down an aisle, and he did the exact same thing. Pure class. What happened to gentlemen Veg, eh? Wot happened!!?

<<Hahaha - got ya there Veg!! deleted post!>>
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"So many many stories with that car, absolutely loved it as I am sure you did."

Yeah but let me tell you about the rather tragic ending. I was splitting an apartment with two other blokes and we all worked at the steak escape - little philly cheese steak joint in the mall pavilion. We all made less than eight dollars an hour and three months into the lease we reckoned we'd never be able to keep paying this outrageous rent with such a measly income... so we decided to bail on it, credit score be damned. My plan was to drive to the Appalachians and set up in Asheville (a town I would frequent very often in the decade to come). So I had this other friend - we called him 'zonk' - who had a ford ranger, and was incidentally in love with the cutlass. My problem was I needed a truck to haul all my shit to Asheville in, so we traded. So a week later I've got my stuff packed in the back and I'm ready to hit the road. I remember this moment like it happened yesterday; the light turns green, I take a left onto 70 fifty feet before the 40 W ramp, the transmission gives out, and I roll into the Exxon parking lot. It wouldn't shift into first. I shit you not; I wasn't fifty feet from the interstate. So now I'm stomping and cussing and freaking out. I had left the apartment (so couldn't go back), had nowhere to go, no wheels, and everything I owned in the back of a truck broke down in a gas station parking lot. Ended up abandoning everything. Had no money to tow and get it fixed, and nowhere to put it meanwhile. Obviously couldn't trade it back for the cutlass, either. The trade was 'as is', and zonk couldn't have known that would happen.

Couple months later I find out the same thing happens to zonk after he drives the cutlass to Tennessee. Transmission goes out and he abandons it. Ain't that some shit?

At any rate, now stranded again in Raleigh, I got the job back at steak escape and a Brazilian Rastafarian weed smoking soccer playing coworker there (named Santos) let me move onto his couch. He and his roommate had a little shitty apartment in the ghetto downtown.

In exchange for the favor, we broke into my old apartment (now locked) and got all the furniture out of it for Santos's place. The agency hadn't yet moved all the shit out of it to put it back up for rent.
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:48 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:36 am I bet that car got you a lot of female attention. Funny, but I could never understand the obsession that the females I knew had with the kind of cars guys drove. That would be the early to mid eighties?
Although, one guy picked me up for a date on his crappy motorbike that had no foot rests for the passenger and nothing for me to hold onto. What a nightmare, and the 'date' was stock car racing, the most boring thing I'd ever been to. Torture in fact. He also picked his nose in front of me so needless to say that was the last I ever saw of him.
I just got off the ph to the bloke at the back there - he just told me he came over in 1993 - when that pic was taken. I don't know if I got much attention from the ladies because of it, especially as I had a girlfriend..I was oblivious to such matters (lol).

That is hilarious about the ride on the motorbike, maybe having no 'foot rests' (pegs) was a ploy to make you snuggle up tighter to cling on to that fella!
Ya yuck. I was up the shops yesterday and there were these two dropkick middle aged blokes, one of them said 'got one' and let a fart rip as his mate giggled. I promptly veered my trolley sideways and pretended I needed bread. Then about 3 minutes later I was about to go down an aisle, and he did the exact same thing. Pure class. What happened to gentlemen Veg, eh? Wot happened!!?

How does that even happen? Anyway, I remembered that this site doesn't like 'quotes' to include the same photo.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:25 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:48 am

How does that even happen? Anyway, I remembered that this site doesn't like 'quotes' to include the same photo.
Yes, I removed it on my post here, but I have a magic wand which allows my pics to be included in quotes.

If u right click on the pic and check the source, it links back to my website - but it's only when you do a pic from as an attachment - hence where you have loaded from a file on yer PC that it doesn't include it in subsequent quotes.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

In the late 90s my first IT job was at the GPO in the city. I had to start my shift at 0630 and my role initially was to transfer data that came across from Melbourne overnight, onto magnetic tapes, and also dial-up modem transfers to various local councils - all the data was transactions of bills that had been paid via post office outlets throughout S.Australia.
I would bag the tapes and a printout hardcopy of the transactions into satchels and then take them downstairs to these dear old ladies in the accounting dept, and they would shoot off from there. SA Police was interesting - wot a wad of cash those guys were pulling in to the coffers each day. There was a load of moolah on many of the different private agencies we collected payments for too - and our contract stipulated huge fines for delays in them receiving the data.
Each council I would have to do individual dial ups for to transfer the info and this was time consuming so I ended up writing script that would do all the councils one after the other, without the need for the operator, me, to initiate and confirm each one.
My neighbours at the flat I was living in were 'students' and would party most of the time, sometimes they would all be on acid until the early hours as I made my way downstairs into the dark street to catch the first train to the city. Since I started at 0630 and nobody came in to the office until at least 0800, sometimes I would climb up onto the roof via a fixed steel wrung ladder (the IT dept was on the top floor - about 5 stories), and I would sit on the roof, next to the bell tower and watch the sun come up over the hill while smoking a spliff. It was beautiful - one the clock hit a particular time and chime, I'd climb back down which could be a bit dubious sometimes, and if I felt too stoned I'd go into the kitchen and have a decent glass of Sav Blanc to chill things down some. It was only a 4 hr job, then I'd catch a train to Port Adelaide to work in a PC shop, then I'd catch a train back to the city and another train back to my flat and then ride my bike to work stacking shelves until 2130! What a wonderful day! ..especially with the unemployed bums I lived next to, partying all the time.
Anyway. The computer room where all the servers were - there were old school VAX\VMS (IBM) and Win NT servers which ran services for all of S.Australia and the Northern Territory, loads of racks of switches\patch-panels and ethernet cords like spaghetti, all on a raised floor where the cabling would go underneath and glass windows from ceiling to floor where the entire office could watch me fuck arsing around in the climate controlled room.
One day the main manager took me up to the power conditioning unit and told me if the alarm was going off to press this particular button. No worries.
The unit was massive, it came up to my chest height and was about a metre wide.
So about two months later, it was a public holiday (just for Australia Post employees) - except me, because my job had clients that want to know who the fuck has paid their bills or not!
So there I am, all alone in the glass room, busy busy, winding tape around reels and typing wacky commands into this antique VAX/VMS server..when, the bloody power conditioning unit starts sounding an alarm and flashing lights!

So I'm stood there, trying to remember what button I was supposed to press...eany meany miny mo came to mind, but the red button stood out like a big red button - that's gotta be the one - so atto pressed it.
Ba--dooooo was the sound as everything in the computer server room powered down! Ooo nooo. I've just cut off all the post offices to two states SA and NT!!
Panic Panic - pressed the red button again, nothing, pressed the reset button (that was the one I was supposed to press duh!)
Oh shit, nuffin.

So.

I got on the dog and bone to the IT manager - the only bloke in the office (that was at home enjoying his day off) that I actually thought was a bloody good bloke, the type of bloke whose desk was just a sprawling mess of paperwork and crap in general, but the go to guy for anyone that was stuck on anything by way of compoooter stuff. Hi Peter, sorry to trouble you but the alarm went off and I pressed the red button. He sighed, I'll be in soon.
In the end, he had to find a set of allen keys and take the back panel off to get the thing fired up again. He saw the funny side. I was the young wipper-snapper as some of the older twats would call me in the office, he was one of the few blokes I actually could have a laugh with, thankfully.
It was a good place to work - when they had me cover for people on leave and I'd work a full day, Friday lunch times were great, we'd all go and have lunch at a nearby pub and get as much lager into us as we could, and my immediate boss would generally shout. When we got back to the office, tech support when the phones were ringing from people downstairs were no longer top priority, it was a really chilled arvo from then on in.

Long story, I'm starting to think I like talking about myself too much, nevermind, fun times. I'd make up any excuse to get out in one of the corporate exec cars - 'hey I need to drop this tape over to EDS, where's the key!?'
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

attofishpi wrote:
So I'm stood there, trying to remember what button I was supposed to press...eany meany miny mo came to mind, but the red button stood out like a big red button - that's gotta be the one - so atto pressed it.
HA!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

reasonvemotion wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:24 am attofishpi wrote:
HA!
:mrgreen: I shall never forget that sound - something like:- Ba-dooooo.

..and then there was darkness, and atto saw that the darkness was ominous!
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

HA.......again.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

So I got no sound from the left driver and front center speaker in the car. I don't wanna fiddle with it to figure out what's going on, so I give the car stereo joint up the street a shot. For a $60 diagnostic fee, they'll troubleshoot it. Okay that's reasonable.

In one hour I find out a channel is fried on the amp... so I order a used amp on eBay. I ax them what they'll charge to install it. $120. Best Buy will do it for $100. Nah I'm good. I'll put it in myself.

Anyway, when the shop is done troubleshooting and I pay the fee, I get in the car and note:

1. Wire clippings all over the passenger floor mat.
2. Hairline crack in lower dash board.
3. Passenger mirror is all shifted and out of place.
4. Passenger seat is lowered and slid all the way back.
5. Center console is slid all the way back.

Translation: Jose the exploited Mexican hates his job and is too lazy to clean up after himself, put shit back like he found it, and desist in angrily banging around the cab cracking dashboards by accident.

I read reviews and find several complaints about prices. Manager replies with the same script every time: we can't compete with the bigger companies... that's why our prices are higher, etc.

I call bullshit. What's happening is, you got a small store owned by some Indian or Mexican guys (can't tell which) who are trying to get rich too fast, working their three underpaid mechanics to death so they can maximize their profits. But they don't HAVE to believe they should get rich running a little shady stereo store. They don't HAVE to pay their angry employees who, because they are paid so little, do a shitty job. They can easily match larger competitor's prices and rates... only they wouldn't make as much profit.

So don't say you CAN'T compete, you slimy lying piece of shit capitalist parasite.

Lol I caught a glimpse of the young guy who diagnosed the amp problem when he came into the store front. He had the permanent look of discontent. I've seen that look many, many times before in the faces of wage workers. And I don't blame the kid for making the mess he made. If it doesn't get him fired, why would he do anything but what was absolutely necessary to keep his job. Why would he make any extra effort? What, for a fifty cent raise in six months? Fuck outta here.

I won't drop a bad review because I don't wanna get the poor kid in trouble. I'll live with the cracked dash.
vegetariantaxidermy

promethean75 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:34 pm So I got no sound from the left driver and front center speaker in the car. I don't wanna fiddle with it to figure out what's going on, so I give the car stereo joint up the street a shot. For a $60 diagnostic fee, they'll troubleshoot it. Okay that's reasonable.

In one hour I find out a channel is fried on the amp... so I order a used amp on eBay. I ax them what they'll charge to install it. $120. Best Buy will do it for $100. Nah I'm good. I'll put it in myself.

Anyway, when the shop is done troubleshooting and I pay the fee, I get in the car and note:

1. Wire clippings all over the passenger floor mat.
2. Hairline crack in lower dash board.
3. Passenger mirror is all shifted and out of place.
4. Passenger seat is lowered and slid all the way back.
5. Center console is slid all the way back.

Translation: Jose the exploited Mexican hates his job and is too lazy to clean up after himself, put shit back like he found it, and desist in angrily banging around the cab cracking dashboards by accident.

I read reviews and find several complaints about prices. Manager replies with the same script every time: we can't compete with the bigger companies... that's why our prices are higher, etc.

I call bullshit. What's happening is, you got a small store owned by some Indian or Mexican guys (can't tell which) who are trying to get rich too fast, working their three underpaid mechanics to death so they can maximize their profits. But they don't HAVE to believe they should get rich running a little shady stereo store. They don't HAVE to pay their angry employees who, because they are paid so little, do a shitty job. They can easily match larger competitor's prices and rates... only they wouldn't make as much profit.

So don't say you CAN'T compete, you slimy lying piece of shit capitalist parasite.

Lol I caught a glimpse of the young guy who diagnosed the amp problem when he came into the store front. He had the permanent look of discontent. I've seen that look many, many times before in the faces of wage workers. And I don't blame the kid for making the mess he made. If it doesn't get him fired, why would he do anything but what was absolutely necessary to keep his job. Why would he make any extra effort? What, for a fifty cent raise in six months? Fuck outta here.

I won't drop a bad review because I don't wanna get the poor kid in trouble. I'll live with the cracked dash.
How can you not tell the difference between an Indian and a Mexican?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

If you saw this dude you would understand. Maybe he was an indexican; having a parent of each ethnicity.

I didn't know whether to say 'tank you my friend' or 'gracias senor', so I said nothing.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

promethean75 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:17 pm If you saw this dude you would understand. Maybe he was an indexican; having a parent of each ethnicity.
Arn't Indexicans librarians?

I'd never get an Indexican to fix anything but the mess of directories on my compoooter.

:mrgreen: