Seeking a mentor!

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

solacesold

Seeking a mentor!

Post by solacesold »

Hello,

My name is Beth. I’m seeking a mentor for philosophy. I’m currently taking some semesters off and returning on Fall 2022. In the mean time, I realized I learn better non-instutionally and through mentors. As a mentor, I’m seeking someone who will have discussions with me, recommend me readings which we will also discuss, provide with prompts on essays to write, and then critique those essays. I know most Phil. people don’t have time! But I thought I’d try anyway! Thank you!

Best,

Beth
attofishpi

Re: Seeking a mentor!

Post by attofishpi »

solacesold wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:03 pm Hello,

My name is Beth. I’m seeking a mentor for philosophy. I’m currently taking some semesters off and returning on Fall 2022. In the mean time, I realized I learn better non-instutionally and through mentors. As a mentor, I’m seeking someone who will have discussions with me, recommend me readings which we will also discuss, provide with prompts on essays to write, and then critique those essays. I know most Phil. people don’t have time! But I thought I’d try anyway! Thank you!

Best,

Beth
Hi Beth

I am not "schooled" in philosophy but I think from a decent amount of riddles and moving on to computer programming later in life got me a decent start in attempting to ensure I am logical.

Not sure if you are still around since this is your only post and nobody clearly has the time for what you are asking.

If you want a little dealings with one that knows not much about the contents of books written by esteemed 'philosophers', but has many many times been told - oh that's what 'xxxx' has said (xxxx = an aforementioned esteemed philosopher) - since bouncing my ideas around here.

I purposely avoided reading others' philosophies until now pretty much, where now I feel I am ready to be corrupted from what I endeavoured to fathom for myself!

Anyway, here is a prompt, if you are still up for it:-
If there is an ultimate purpose of a philosophical debate, what is it?

Certainly you will doubt I am qualified for what you are seeking, most of which I would agree, but consider that one at least from an essay perspective. I will be happy to discuss and critique, and I know a few actual academics in the field from around these parts regarding books that we could both learn from. TBH I learn non-institutionally rather well myself.

If interested PM me for email contact details.

My only demands are that I expect the essay to be succinct and delivered by Rise 2022 - the Spring Equinox will be fine.

PS. Oh, I am going to be so embarrassed if someone has already PM'd you, so don't tell me. :D
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:10 pm

Best,

Beth
Hi Beth

I am not "schooled" in philosophy but I think from a decent amount of riddles and moving on to computer programming later in life got me a decent start in attempting to ensure I am logical.
Oh god, NO! Run, Beth! Run as fast as you can! :lol: Attofishpi would be a good choice if you were looking to study a midnight drunk who babbles and spews obscene claims and imaginings that don't really have a stable or realistic place in what most people think of as reality. I mean, really Atto, let's be honest about this. I wouldn't be a suitable mentor for Beth either! Many of us here are exploring a wide range of fringe perspectives that are not going to be useful to Beth's academic studies -- and we're mainly here to play on a stage (while some believe it's real).
Last edited by Lacewing on Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Best,

Beth
Beth:

Your best strategy is to start by reading a bunch of short articles in Philosophy Now. They're written at a level that will give you a good start, and since none is very long, you can read a bunch of them relatively quickly and pick up the flow of how philosophers talk, what they think about, and so on.

Once you get an idea what the major categories and issues in philosophy are, you'll know what area you want to think about more intensely. Then it's possible to suggest particular books and readings to take you deeper into that area. But you really need to know what you want to know more about, because philosophy is a big, big subject.

So start light, then work your way to the hard stuff.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Terrific suggestion from Mr. Can.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:25 pm Terrific suggestion from Mr. Can.
👍
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:16 pm

Best,

Beth
Hi Beth

Not sure if you are still around since this is your only post and nobody clearly has the time for what you are asking.

If you want a little dealings with one that knows not much about the contents of books written by esteemed 'philosophers', but has many many times been told - oh that's what 'xxxx' has said (xxxx = an aforementioned esteemed philosopher) - since bouncing my ideas around here.

I purposely avoided reading others' philosophies until now pretty much, where now I feel I am ready to be corrupted from what I endeavoured to fathom for myself!

Certainly you will doubt I am qualified for what you are seeking, most of which I would agree, but consider that one at least from an essay perspective. I will be happy to discuss and critique, and I know a few actual academics in the field from around these parts regarding books that we could both learn from. TBH I learn non-institutionally rather well myself.

My only demands are that I expect the essay to be succinct and delivered by Rise 2022 - the Spring Equinox will be fine.

PS. Oh, I am going to be so embarrassed if someone has already PM'd you, so don't tell me. :D

Oh god, NO! Run, Beth! Run as fast as you can! :lol: Attofishpi would be a good choice if you were looking to study a midnight drunk who babbles and spews obscene claims and imaginings that don't really have a stable or realistic place in what most people think of as reality. I mean, really Atto, let's be honest about this. I wouldn't be a suitable mentor for Beth either! Many of us here are exploring a wide range of fringe perspectives that are not going to be useful to Beth's academic studies -- and we're mainly here to play on a stage (while some believe it's real).

I thought you were over this kind of insulting, seems not. I have highlighted in red the things that are important to what I stated, I certainly never stated I could be a MENTOR, but at least I am willing to learn with someone.

You have never challenged me intellectually, even after half a carton of Guinness!

Try taking me on in any of the fields of science, maths and logic, on this forum and we can see how you fare.

Sure, attacking someone that claims to have gnosis is easy when you don't ever attempt to refute what I state from a scientific standpoint, but revert to ad hominems. You bitter woman, are on the WRONG forum.

My website happens to be extremely interesting to the University of Bonn in Germany as per MBs worth of artwork *.jpg files from their IP address, of course, you would not be able to work out even how to configure a website, let alone work out what IP addresses are a major statistic from the views. On investigation, they have a theology department and in fact the previous Pope:- Pope Benedict XVI attended there. Of course you have no interest in such matters as a "spiritual atheist"!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Bonn

By the way, I don't get drunk anymore since something in my life has improved drastically - relating to that elusive entity

https://www.androcies.com
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:12 pm
Lacewing wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:16 pm Oh god, NO! Run, Beth! Run as fast as you can! :lol: Attofishpi would be a good choice if you were looking to study a midnight drunk who babbles and spews obscene claims and imaginings that don't really have a stable or realistic place in what most people think of as reality. I mean, really Atto, let's be honest about this. I wouldn't be a suitable mentor for Beth either! Many of us here are exploring a wide range of fringe perspectives that are not going to be useful to Beth's academic studies -- and we're mainly here to play on a stage (while some believe it's real).
I thought you were over this kind of insulting, seems not.
I thought you were aware that this is what you do.

I wasn't saying there's no value in any discussions with you... I was making fun of what you've done a lot of (well-documented) on this forum, and I was saying that I don't think your brand of whatever-it-is-you-call-it is what Beth was asking for.
attofishpi wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:12 pm By the way, I don't get drunk anymore since something in my life has improved drastically - relating to that elusive entity
I've been thinking that you sound clearer lately, but weren't you posting on here drunk just a week or two ago?

Post by Age »

Best,

Beth
Hi Beth

To find what 'it' IS, which is in agreement and acceptance.

And, when what EVERY one agrees with and accepts is found, then 'that' is what thee ACTUAL Truth IS.
attofishpi wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:10 pm Certainly you will doubt I am qualified for what you are seeking, most of which I would agree, but consider that one at least from an essay perspective. I will be happy to discuss and critique, and I know a few actual academics in the field from around these parts regarding books that we could both learn from. TBH I learn non-institutionally rather well myself.

promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Whatever you do, study the continental philosophers first and THEN the analytical philosophers, not vice versa.

You won't be able to comprehend what a mess continental philosophy is unless you follow it with the analytical tradition.

If you start with the analytical, and end with the continental, you'll just believe whoever got that last word, was right, and you'll forget all about the boys in the Vienna circle.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Thanks promethean75, will keep that in mind.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Beth,

Essay 2: Should philosophy be considered the interlocutor of the 3 sciences, indeed, should it be considered a science in its own right?

Again, due by the spring (vernal) equinox 2022.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

LW, please be patient.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:38 am LW, please be patient.
Patient?? About what exactly?

I'm feeling quite peaceful. :)

I'm just speaking the truth about what you've said on this forum.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Best,

Beth
What can you offer to a mentor?