D.H. Lawrence

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

D.H. Lawrence

Post by duszek »

I have been immensely under the charm of his novels during the last few months.
Especially "The Lost Girl".

And the charming accent of Manchester, if someone can speak it.

What puzzles me is that somewhere on the internet (probably wikipedia) some knowledgable critic expressed a view that D.H. Lawrence "wasted his talent".

I simply cannot see any waste of talent. The novel is so good and revealing and enticing.
Alvina and Ciccio are like old friends to me now. They are much more real to me than many people I know in my life.

Can any expert of literature explain how a waste of talent can be noticed in his work ?
Veganman

Re: D.H. Lawrence

Post by Veganman »

I remember seeing a movie years ago about the life of D.H. Lawrence, it was called, "The Priest of Love," and it was very good.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Thank you for the tip. The trailer was good, I watched it on youtube.

Perhaps he wasted his talent because he focused on love ?
And love is not the most important thing on earth, accoring to some people.

But what would be more important to write about ?
Character, moral values, saving the world perhaps.

Did Charles Dickens use his talent in the right way writing about social issues ?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

duszek wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:36 pm I have been immensely under the charm of his novels during the last few months.
Especially "The Lost Girl".

Think of Sean Bean - his Sheffield is a close match.
The Gallagher brothers are Mancunian but they speak it in quite an ugly way

What puzzles me is that somewhere on the internet (probably wikipedia) some knowledgable critic expressed a view that D.H. Lawrence "wasted his talent".

I simply cannot see any waste of talent. The novel is so good and revealing and enticing.
Alvina and Ciccio are like old friends to me now. They are much more real to me than many people I know in my life.

Can any expert of literature explain how a waste of talent can be noticed in his work ?
I think this "wastedness" has more to do with the critic's expectations than anything to do with Lawrences choices.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

duszek wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:36 pm

Like Coronation Street??? The word 'charming' doesn't spring to mind for me. I find all the different English accents to be hideous. Odd, because I love the Welsh and Irish accents (apart from so-called 'Northern Ireland' accent which is a bastardised monstrosity).
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

duszek wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:41 pm Perhaps he wasted his talent because he focused on love ?
And love is not the most important thing on earth, according to some people.
Only those incapable of love think anything else is more important.

Lawrence's prose is often more like poetry, a rare ability shared by few writers. Another with that talent was the more modern F. Scott Fitzgerald.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Sculptor

Thank you for your feedback.
On librivox a certain Tony Foster (resident of Manchester) reads "The Lost Girl".
He is a great artist to me. Listening to him is a rare treat.

RCSaunders

Fitzgerald sounds frivolous to me. I remember his story of James Button. A wonderful idea but somehow the writer does not put much effort into the story, it seems to me.

D.H. Lawrence explains the soul of a protagonist and this is what a good novel should be all about.
duszek

Post by duszek »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:38 pm
duszek wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:36 pm

Like Coronation Street??? The word 'charming' doesn't spring to mind for me. I find all the different English accents to be hideous. Odd, because I love the Welsh and Irish accents (apart from so-called 'Northern Ireland' accent which is a bastardised monstrosity).
Tony Foster is so gifted that he speaks with an Irish accent when he reads the part of Mr May, with a French accent when he speaks the part of Madame or Gigi and with an Italian accent when he reads the part of Ciccio. It´s amazing.
I feel lost in a bliss when I follow the events of the novel.
And Dr Mitchell comes from Scotland, perhaps there is some Scottish accent too but not so pronounced.

How about the Peaky Blinders (Gangs of Birmingham). Do they also speak some sort of Midlands accent ? I only saw the German version on TV some time ago.

Irish accent is nice too. Someone gifted reads Ulysses and it is probably Irish sounding.

I also like the Australian accent. A certain Peter Keeble reads novels by Charles Dickens.
It sounds tough and smoky, suitable for rough London back then.

Martin Geeson from Surrey has a nice accent too.