Responding to insults

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Jori

Responding to insults

Post by Jori »

A possible response to an insult is this: "Go ahead put me down." This means that you are aware that the insulter is putting you down and you are allowing him or her to put you down, because you don't mind, you don't care, and you're not affected by the insult. What will you say or do if someone tells you, "You are the worst!"
Scott Mayers

Re: Responding to insults

Post by Scott Mayers »

Jori wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 am A possible response to an insult is this: "Go ahead put me down." This means that you are aware that the insulter is putting you down and you are allowing him or her to put you down, because you don't mind, you don't care, and you're not affected by the insult. What will you say or do if someone tells you, "You are the worst!"
It is something one who likes to debate and discuss things deeply have to learn to handle. If offended, the best thing to do is to try not to feed into it if the arguments are not being presented along with it. If the offender is using it consistently and without coinciding logical arguments, then you have to just leave them be. I'm not for political correctness but recognize that we need to try to curb ourselves of language that won't emotionally distract others with some charity.

I've learned to 'edit' a lot when posting to emotionally driven issues to try to reword things in ways that do not offend. But we cannot completely remove our emotions when we express ideas,... especially having social or political values that may lack any actual meaning to Nature apart from ourselves.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Jori wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 am A possible response to an insult is this: "Go ahead put me down." This means that you are aware that the insulter is putting you down and you are allowing him or her to put you down, because you don't mind, you don't care, and you're not affected by the insult. What will you say or do if someone tells you, "You are the worst!"
If appropriate to the situation, that's a wonderful idea.

There’s a weird logic used by trolls. It goes something like: I’m going to shit on you with pure ignorance, and if you piss on me in return then that’s proof of your moral deficiency.

This is used against Christians all the time. Just look at some back postings of the ignorance often dumped on IC. But if the Christian steps off the the politeness line defined by the shitter, the shitter on the Christian says … you pissed on me because your ego was hurt, and that means you’re a phony Christian. Uh huh. Such baiting is done all the time. I say, fuck that.

And oh the woe when someone doesn’t play that game. Boo hoo. Poor little me says the shitter. The thing is, there’s no money on the table here. So if it amuses, we deal with whatever someone wants to bring to a conversation, be it philosophy, religion, science, the use of language, how we know what we know ... or personal insult, in whatever way that amuses, and too bad if a troll gets offended.

If that doesn't set the proper tone, rest assured the moderators will clear the house, reset the meter.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Jori wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 amA possible response to an insult is this: "Go ahead put me down."
Another is to consider whether the insult is accurate.
Walker

Post by Walker »

uwot wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:45 am
Jori wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 amA possible response to an insult is this: "Go ahead put me down."
That's called, the shitter defining the politeness line that the shit-upon should walk, which is rather laughable, 'specially when the shitter is a little punk ass.
stevie

Post by stevie »

Most appropriate is to not repond to insults at all, neither internally nor externally ... however conditioned impulsivity may be stronger at times due to lack of awareness or mindfulness.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Walker wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:57 amThat's called, the shitter defining the politeness line that the shit-upon should walk, which is rather laughable, 'specially when the shitter is a little punk ass.
In my view it's humility. Unless you believe the world is free of arseholes, it is prudent allow that you might be one. By doing so you can decide whether that is something you wish to fix.
Walker

Post by Walker »

stevie wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:10 am
Most appropriate is to not repond to insults at all, neither internally nor externally ... however conditioned impulsivity may be stronger at times due to lack of awareness or mindfulness.
We live in the relative dimension and it isn't wise to ignore what appears, such as the corruption of an institution ... civilized philosophical conversation once being an institution of coffee shops, late night discussions when figuring out the universe, former front-porch institution along the row homes. Then the thugs moved into town. Dealing with corruption of the philosophy institution by ignorant trolls with a punk-ass attitude is quite appropriate, under the right conditions.

Pointing out the that burying the head in the sand until one gets the lay of the power structure is mindfulness guided by intent both cowardly and crafty also deals with the relative dimension, when appropriate.

:wink:
Walker

Post by Walker »

uwot wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:21 am
Walker wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:57 amThat's called, the shitter defining the politeness line that the shit-upon should walk, which is rather laughable, 'specially when the shitter is a little punk ass.
In my view it's humility. Unless you believe the world is free of arseholes, it is prudent allow that you might be one. By doing so you can decide whether that is something you wish to fix.
Every one is an asshole to some other one, you humble little fuck-wit you. :lol:

Post by Age »

Jori wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 am A possible response to an insult is this: "Go ahead put me down." This means that you are aware that the insulter is putting you down and you are allowing him or her to put you down, because you don't mind, you don't care, and you're not affected by the insult.
That is one way, out of countless ways, to respond. But if one is aware that the "other" IS 'putting them down', then that one has just given the power to the one ATTEMPTING to "insult".

See, no matter what ANY one says, they can NOT 'put me down'.

MANY people can 'try to', but NO one ACTUALLY CAN.
Jori wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 am What will you say or do if someone tells you, "You are the worst!"
Just let them, and/or CHALLENGE them in regards to their CLAIMS. And, if they can NOT back up and support their CLAIM, then their OWN inefficiencies speaks for itself.

I might probably start by asking them what is the word "worst" in relation to, exactly, and then, depending on their response see how I will continue.

See, when someone says, "You are the worst!", what is this in relation to, EXACTLY?

These words are usually stated in the 'heat of the moment', as it is sometimes referred to, but which ACTUALLY are said without ANY actual sense of knowing what is ACTUALLY MEANT.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Walker wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:22 amEvery one is an asshole to some other one, you humble little fuck-wit you. :lol:
Then you shouldn't whine about insults.

Post by Age »

Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:45 am
It is something one who likes to debate and discuss things deeply have to learn to handle. If offended, the best thing to do is to try not to feed into it if the arguments are not being presented along with it. If the offender is using it consistently and without coinciding logical arguments, then you have to just leave them be. I'm not for political correctness but recognize that we need to try to curb ourselves of language that won't emotionally distract others with some charity.

I've learned to 'edit' a lot when posting to emotionally driven issues to try to reword things in ways that do not offend.
Is there really an adult human being, in the days when this was written, who would actually be 'offended' by just being told, "You are the worst!"?

Also, why do some people seem to fear being 'political correct'?

Either what one says is 'correct' or it is not, and if it is not, then why not just correct it/them?
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:45 am But we cannot completely remove our emotions when we express ideas,...
We can, but it does take some 'relearning' to get there.
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:45 am especially having social or political values that may lack any actual meaning to Nature apart from ourselves.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:30 am
If appropriate to the situation, that's a wonderful idea.

There’s a weird logic used by trolls. It goes something like: I’m going to shit on you with pure ignorance, and if you piss on me in return then that’s proof of your moral deficiency.
How do you KNOW this?
Walker wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:30 am This is used against Christians all the time. Just look at some back postings of the ignorance often dumped on IC. But if the Christian steps off the the politeness line defined by the shitter, the shitter on the Christian says … you pissed on me because your ego was hurt, and that means you’re a phony Christian. Uh huh. Such baiting is done all the time. I say, fuck that.
Wow.

The views of "others", which some people have obtained, is MANY and VERY varied, but not always right and correct, as can be CLEARLY SEEN and PROVEN here. Also, how narrowed a view some of these 'generalizations' some people make is Truly astonishing.
Walker wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:30 am And oh the woe when someone doesn’t play that game. Boo hoo. Poor little me says the shitter. The thing is, there’s no money on the table here. So if it amuses, we deal with whatever someone wants to bring to a conversation, be it philosophy, religion, science, the use of language, how we know what we know ... or personal insult, in whatever way that amuses, and too bad if a troll gets offended.

If that doesn't set the proper tone, rest assured the moderators will clear the house, reset the meter.
Talk about being so 'incorrect', and needing corrected.

Post by Age »

uwot wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:45 am
When FULLY looked into, just about EVERY attempt at insult is NEVER correct.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Age wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:38 am ..., why do some people seem to fear being 'political correct'?

Either what one says is 'correct' or it is not, and if it is not, then why not just correct it/them?
The reduction to the least common sensitivity tends to lead to strict moderation and censorship. It is also just as potentially abusive of someone to indicate they are insulted for something as trivial as some interpreted 'micro-expression'. Someone's pyschic interpretation of another's intention to harm is another perhaps worse kind of charge. Basically, too PC can violate one's right to free speech AND other forms of expression.