Responding to insults

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Responding to insults

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:57 am
uwot wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:45 am
Jori wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 amA possible response to an insult is this: "Go ahead put me down."
Another is to consider whether the insult is accurate.
That's called, the shitter defining the politeness line that the shit-upon should walk, which is rather laughable, 'specially when the shitter is a little punk ass.
LOL

Talk about 'responding to insults'.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:22 am
uwot wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:21 am
Walker wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:57 amThat's called, the shitter defining the politeness line that the shit-upon should walk, which is rather laughable, 'specially when the shitter is a little punk ass.
In my view it's humility. Unless you believe the world is free of arseholes, it is prudent allow that you might be one. By doing so you can decide whether that is something you wish to fix.
Every one is an asshole to some other one, you humble little fuck-wit you. :lol:
Wrong, AGAIN.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Age wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:49 am
uwot wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:45 am Another is to consider whether the insult is accurate.
That's called, the shitter defining the politeness line that the shit-upon should walk, which is rather laughable, 'specially when the shitter is a little punk ass.
LOL

Hey, easy....I think Walker saw my joke about the toilette as having a right as a 'person' to not be shit on! I get it! :lol:

Post by Age »

Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:47 am
Age wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:38 am ..., why do some people seem to fear being 'political correct'?

Either what one says is 'correct' or it is not, and if it is not, then why not just correct it/them?
The reduction to the least common sensitivity tends to lead to strict moderation and censorship.
But just correcting what is not correct is not moderation nor censorship. It is just correctness.
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:47 am It is also just as potentially abusive of someone to indicate they are insulted for something as trivial as some interpreted 'micro-expression'.
How can ANY adult human being Truly be "insulted", by just the words of "another"?
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:47 am Someone's pyschic interpretation of another's intention to harm is another perhaps worse kind of charge.
Is there a difference between psychic interpretation and other interpretation?

If yes, then what is that difference.
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:47 am Basically, too PC can violate one's right to free speech AND other forms of expression.
What does 'political correctness' actually mean or refer to, to you?

Post by Age »

Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:58 am
Age wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:49 am
LOL

Hey, easy....I think Walker saw my joke about the toilette as having a right as a 'person' to not be shit on! I get it! :lol:
I also get, and got, your joke. But I am not sure how that relates to anything written here.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Age wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:59 am
Age wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:38 am ..., why do some people seem to fear being 'political correct'?

Either what one says is 'correct' or it is not, and if it is not, then why not just correct it/them?
The reduction to the least common sensitivity tends to lead to strict moderation and censorship.
But just correcting what is not correct is not moderation nor censorship. It is just correctness.
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:47 am It is also just as potentially abusive of someone to indicate they are insulted for something as trivial as some interpreted 'micro-expression'.
How can ANY adult human being Truly be "insulted", by just the words of "another"?
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:47 am Someone's pyschic interpretation of another's intention to harm is another perhaps worse kind of charge.

Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:47 am Basically, too PC can violate one's right to free speech AND other forms of expression.
I don't know what part of the world you live in but here in the West, "political correctness" is the expectation by some sensitive people to believe that you cannot nor should not say specific que words outside specific people's presumed 'right' to use them.

An example, and I am being PC here,... is the 'n' word that derogatorily insults black people UNLESS they use the term. Another more obvious one that even many who are not officially PC might evade the owning or presenting of Nazi symbolism, not even for Halloween, for instance.

Cartman dresses up as Hitler

Post by Age »

Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 am

I don't know what part of the world you live in but here in the West, "political correctness" is the expectation by some sensitive people to believe that you cannot nor should not say specific que words outside specific people's presumed 'right' to use them.
And here is a great time to get to my point about getting to what the ACTUAL definitions are, which people are using/assuming.

Now, if that is YOUR definition for 'political correctness', (which, by the way, is NOT a definition that ALL people would use, living in the, so called, "west", nor ANY other part of earth), but anyway I digress, if that is YOUR definition, then;

What is a 'sensitive person'?

How do you KNOW what ALL, so called, "sensitive people" BELIEVE?

What is the list of, so called, "que words", " there, in the "west" "?

What 'right', exactly, are you referring to here? And,

What is the difference between 'a right' and 'a presumed right'?

When, and if, what people are ACTUALLY saying, and meaning, is DELVED INTO, deep enough, then what will be DISCOVERED is that EVERY one HAS and USES their OWN "justifications" and "rationalizations" for the things they are saying. Which, by the way, MOST people VERY RARELY are EVER able to FULLY explain what they are ACTUALLY saying, and ACTUALLY MEANING.

See, when people use words like "sensitive people", then this is usually a self "justifying" term for the "other/s" being Wrong. However, and obviously, the 'sensitive' word is an EXTREMELY RELATIVE word. And, 'sensitive' is ALWAYS in relation to the one using it, which is NEVER a measure of what 'sensitive' ACTUALLY IS, in Reality, Itself.

Absolutely ANY one could say and claim that the "other" is a "sensitive person", and SO what they do is Wrong.

And, I could go on quite a while in regards to just the OTHER VERY RELATIVE WORDS you used in that sentence.

Oh, and by the way, from what I have observed, 'you', human beings, have added the word 'political' next to the word 'correctness', to "justify" CORRECTING "others" as being a Wrong thing to do itself. The word 'political' is probably used because of the negative and hateful way people have towards 'politics', itself. Even "politicians" say the "opposition" are "being political" when they are doing something the "politician" does NOT like. Which, from my perspective, is about as HYPOCRITICAL and CONTRADICTORY as things could get. But anyway, I digress again, 'correcting' "others" is NOT a bad NOR wrong thing in and of itself. But, TELLING "others" they should not CORRECT "another" when they are wrong or incorrect, is a bad or wrong thing to do. Although, and I do also agree, that acting/feigning "being offended/insulted", as an adult, by words, is ALSO a bad or wrong thing to do. HOWEVER, what has to be taken into consideration is that some people have had to ENDURE a childhood of being discriminated against and/or hated. So, it would be VERY NATURAL that these ones do feel insulted/offended when some words are used. And, it is NOT necessarily the word that is being used but by the way that word is being used, which causes the offence/insult. The intention, and meaning, used behind words has far MORE IMPACT and EFFECT than just the word itself.

Now, if some people do not want to use a word knowing that "another" might feel some thing, because of the past experiences they have had or might not have, then REALLY what is wrong with that?
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 am An example, and I am being PC here,...
So, to you and 'your definition', you are just about to be; a sensitive person who believes that you cannot nor should not say specific que words outside specific people's presumed 'right' to use them. correct?

Now, what person would have a 'right' or a "presumed right" to use a word when "another" has not?

What is the ACTUAL 'thing' that DIFFERENTIATES "these people"?
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 am is the 'n' word that derogatorily insults black people UNLESS they use the term.
Well this is one VERY TWISTED and DISTORTED view of things.

NOT EVERY one who uses the word 'n*****', (and I am not sure if this website allows that word, which JUST refers to those who came from 'nigeria', if that is the word you were referring to as the 'n' word), again I digress, but NOT EVERY one who uses that word means nor refers to absolutely ANY insulting NOR offensive.

BUT, OBVIOUSLY, one who has grown up in the days when this is being written would have to be completely ignorant to the intent that was being used when using the 'n i g g e r' word, by some people, at some times.

Also, and what I find Truly humorous among 'you', human beings, is your use of the words "black people". 'you' say it as though it is some real actual thing, which the definition you have discussed and agreed upon. These kinds of terms I find ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS.

AND, to PROVE my point that NONE of 'you' would actually know how to define the words 'black people' and have that definition agreed with, can be PROVEN by just ANY one of 'you' 'trying to' define 'black people'. While 'you' at it 'you' can also 'try to' define the other VERY RELATIVE words:
'american', and 'italian'.

'priest' and 'scientist'.

'teacher' and 'student'.

'doctor' and 'lawyer'.

'evolutionist' and 'creationist'.

'catholic' and 'protestant'.

'christian' and 'muslim'.

'rich' and 'poor'

And ALL of the other words that REALLY can NOT be defined AND agreed with, because they are and could NOT BE real and actual things.

EVERY one of those things, however, is ACTUALLY a 'human being' 'tried to' placed into some IMAGINED group or classification.
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 am Another more obvious one that even many who are not officially PC
Is there ANY 'human being' who IS "officially politically correct"?

if yes, the WHO ARE THEY? And, who "officiated" this?
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 am might evade the owning or presenting of Nazi symbolism, not even for Halloween, for instance.
AND, WHY do they NOT own NOR present such 'memorabilia'?

Could it be JUST because they KNOW how 'it' would feel if they HAD TO LIVE WITH what those "other" people HAD TO live, and ENDURE, through?

LOOK, ABSOLUTELY ANY word or symbol means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING by itself. 'things' only mean what 'meaning' a human being puts or places on that 'thing'.

Also, if we take the 'sensitive' word out of 'your definition' of 'political correctness', then what EXACTLY is wrong, or bad, with just being 'politically correct'?
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 am Cartman dresses up as Hitler
What 'appears' as comedy and funny to some is NOT to "others", and this is just directly related to the FACT that we have ALL NOT fully and directly had the experiences of "others".

To me, being able to laugh at and ridicule our OWN selves, for our OWN stupidity, is about one of the most freeing and liberating experiences. But I suggest doing that BEFORE ANY one 'tries to' laugh at and/or ridicule ANY one "else".
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Age wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:28 am

And here is a great time to get to my point about getting to what the ACTUAL definitions are, which people are using/assuming.

Now, if that is YOUR definition for 'political correctness', (which, by the way, is NOT a definition that ALL people would use, living in the, so called, "west", nor ANY other part of earth), but anyway I digress, if that is YOUR definition, then;

When, and if, what people are ACTUALLY saying, and meaning, is DELVED INTO, deep enough, then what will be DISCOVERED is that EVERY one HAS and USES their OWN "justifications" and "rationalizations" for the things they are saying. Which, by the way, MOST people VERY RARELY are EVER able to FULLY explain what they are ACTUALLY saying, and ACTUALLY MEANING.

See, when people use words like "sensitive people", then this is usually a self "justifying" term for the "other/s" being Wrong. However, and obviously, the 'sensitive' word is an EXTREMELY RELATIVE word. And, 'sensitive' is ALWAYS in relation to the one using it, which is NEVER a measure of what 'sensitive' ACTUALLY IS, in Reality, Itself.

Absolutely ANY one could say and claim that the "other" is a "sensitive person", and SO what they do is Wrong.

And, I could go on quite a while in regards to just the OTHER VERY RELATIVE WORDS you used in that sentence.

Oh, and by the way, from what I have observed, 'you', human beings, have added the word 'political' next to the word 'correctness', to "justify" CORRECTING "others" as being a Wrong thing to do itself. The word 'political' is probably used because of the negative and hateful way people have towards 'politics', itself. Even "politicians" say the "opposition" are "being political" when they are doing something the "politician" does NOT like. Which, from my perspective, is about as HYPOCRITICAL and CONTRADICTORY as things could get. But anyway, I digress again, 'correcting' "others" is NOT a bad NOR wrong thing in and of itself. But, TELLING "others" they should not CORRECT "another" when they are wrong or incorrect, is a bad or wrong thing to do. Although, and I do also agree, that acting/feigning "being offended/insulted", as an adult, by words, is ALSO a bad or wrong thing to do. HOWEVER, what has to be taken into consideration is that some people have had to ENDURE a childhood of being discriminated against and/or hated. So, it would be VERY NATURAL that these ones do feel insulted/offended when some words are used. And, it is NOT necessarily the word that is being used but by the way that word is being used, which causes the offence/insult. The intention, and meaning, used behind words has far MORE IMPACT and EFFECT than just the word itself.

Now, if some people do not want to use a word knowing that "another" might feel some thing, because of the past experiences they have had or might not have, then REALLY what is wrong with that?
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 am An example, and I am being PC here,...
So, to you and 'your definition', you are just about to be; a sensitive person who believes that you cannot nor should not say specific que words outside specific people's presumed 'right' to use them. correct?

Now, what person would have a 'right' or a "presumed right" to use a word when "another" has not?

Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 am is the 'n' word that derogatorily insults black people UNLESS they use the term.

NOT EVERY one who uses the word 'n*****', (and I am not sure if this website allows that word, which JUST refers to those who came from 'nigeria', if that is the word you were referring to as the 'n' word), again I digress, but NOT EVERY one who uses that word means nor refers to absolutely ANY insulting NOR offensive.

BUT, OBVIOUSLY, one who has grown up in the days when this is being written would have to be completely ignorant to the intent that was being used when using the 'n i g g e r' word, by some people, at some times.

Also, and what I find Truly humorous among 'you', human beings, is your use of the words "black people". 'you' say it as though it is some real actual thing, which the definition you have discussed and agreed upon. These kinds of terms I find ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS.

AND, to PROVE my point that NONE of 'you' would actually know how to define the words 'black people' and have that definition agreed with, can be PROVEN by just ANY one of 'you' 'trying to' define 'black people'. While 'you' at it 'you' can also 'try to' define the other VERY RELATIVE words:

'teacher' and 'student'.

'doctor' and 'lawyer'.

'rich' and 'poor'

And ALL of the other words that REALLY can NOT be defined AND agreed with, because they are and could NOT BE real and actual things.

EVERY one of those things, however, is ACTUALLY a 'human being' 'tried to' placed into some IMAGINED group or classification.
Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 am Another more obvious one that even many who are not officially PC

Scott Mayers wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:18 am might evade the owning or presenting of Nazi symbolism, not even for Halloween, for instance.

Could it be JUST because they KNOW how 'it' would feel if they HAD TO LIVE WITH what those "other" people HAD TO live, and ENDURE, through?

LOOK, ABSOLUTELY ANY word or symbol means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING by itself. 'things' only mean what 'meaning' a human being puts or places on that 'thing'.

Also, if we take the 'sensitive' word out of 'your definition' of 'political correctness', then what EXACTLY is wrong, or bad, with just being 'politically correct'?
What 'appears' as comedy and funny to some is NOT to "others", and this is just directly related to the FACT that we have ALL NOT fully and directly had the experiences of "others".

To me, being able to laugh at and ridicule our OWN selves, for our OWN stupidity, is about one of the most freeing and liberating experiences. But I suggest doing that BEFORE ANY one 'tries to' laugh at and/or ridicule ANY one "else".
You seem to fit the bill pretty well. Someone who vastly overestimates their own intelligence. Someone who dismisses scientific truth as 'beneath' them and their higher plane of existence. Someone who can't argue logically so they resort to riddles and inappropriate use of capital letters while hiding behind a silly facade of 'postmodern relativism'. Someone with an unshakeable belief in their own superiority and 'beyondreproachability'. Someone who is unbearably smug and self-righteous. Of course, I could be completely wrong--it's impossible to tell, with your insatiable need to butcher and abuse the language and being too cowardly to communicate coherently.

Post by Age »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:36 pm

'teacher' and 'student'.

'doctor' and 'lawyer'.

'rich' and 'poor'

You seem to fit the bill pretty well. Someone who vastly overestimates their own intelligence. Someone who dismisses scientific truth as 'beneath' them and their higher plane of existence. Someone who can't argue logically so they resort to riddles and inappropriate use of capital letters while hiding behind a silly facade of 'postmodern relativism'. Someone with an unshakeable belief in their own superiority and 'beyondreproachability'. Someone who is unbearably smug and self-righteous. Of course, I could be completely wrong--it's impossible to tell, with your insatiable need to butcher and abuse the language and being too cowardly to communicate coherently.
When and if, I get asked clarifying questions, then I will answer them. Until then, I will repeat one of my messages, we will all be far better off when you stop assuming things.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Age wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:08 am

'teacher' and 'student'.

'doctor' and 'lawyer'.

'rich' and 'poor'

When and if, I get asked clarifying questions, then I will answer them. Until then, I will repeat one of my messages, we will all be far better off when you stop assuming things.
That's what happens when you insist on writing in riddles and gibberish and are too cowardly to communicate coherently.

Post by Age »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:30 am
Age wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:08 am
That's what happens when you insist on writing in riddles and gibberish and are too cowardly to communicate coherently.
LOL

Straight BACK into ASSUMING.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Jori wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 am What will you say or do if someone tells you, "You are the worst!"
Ask what he/she means. Maybe he/she is right, and maybe not. Let's find out.
uwot

The Can and uwot united front.

Post by uwot »

You know it's true when Mr Can and I agree:
Jori wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 amA possible response to an insult is this: "Go ahead put me down."
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:39 am
Jori wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 amWhat will you say or do if someone tells you, "You are the worst!"
Especially if Age doesn't:
Age wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:47 amWhen FULLY looked into, just about EVERY attempt at insult is NEVER correct.

Re: The Can and uwot united front.

Post by Age »

uwot wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:49 am You know it's true when Mr Can and I agree:
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:39 am
Jori wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 amWhat will you say or do if someone tells you, "You are the worst!"
Especially if Age doesn't:
Age wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:47 amWhen FULLY looked into, just about EVERY attempt at insult is NEVER correct.
I am not sure what you are alluding to here "uwot", but what 'FULLY looked into' means is the EXACT SAME as, 'ask what "he/she" means. So, what this means is the three of us agree here.

What were you ASSUMING I was meaning here?
Jori

Post by Jori »

Another reply to insult is simply silence. This means that you do not accept information that is packaged as an insult. Another: Thank you for the feedback. If the feedback is not clear ask for clarification like some of you already posted.

Speaking of political correctness, I have encountered the following euphemisms:
1. Sick - feeling funny
2. Old - chronologically gifted
3. Is dead - went online