conspiracy theories

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

conspiracy theories

Post by Belinda »

How to talk to somebody who firmly believes in conspiracy theories
Many conspiracy theorists are deeply convinced of their beliefs. Their whole life and worldview are centred around them.

When talking to somebody who firmly believes in a conspiracy theory be aware that:

Any argument challenging the conspiracy theory may be taken as proof that you are part of the conspiracy and reinforce the belief.
They probably believe in more than one conspiracy theory.
They will probably argue hard to defend their beliefs.
So, what can you do?

Encourage open debate and questions.
Ask detailed questions about their theory in order to trigger self-reflection.
Enlist trusted former conspiracy theorists who once believed the same thing.
Be cautious and use a variety of sources around the theme.
Don't ridicule. Try to understand why they believe what they believe.
Show empathy. Often the person may be truly fearful and distressed.
Go step by step. Focus on simple facts and logic instead of covering every detail.
Don't push. Too much pressure might backfire. Leave them time to process and try again.
Use empathy and questions. Stop the spread.

(copied and pasted from EU website on identifying and dealing with conspiracy theories)

Re: conspiracy theories

Post by Age »

Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am How to talk to somebody who firmly believes in conspiracy theories
Many conspiracy theorists are deeply convinced of their beliefs. Their whole life and worldview are centred around them.
Are you aware that some conspiracies are actually real and true?
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am When talking to somebody who firmly believes in a conspiracy theory be aware that:

Any argument challenging the conspiracy theory may be taken as proof that you are part of the conspiracy and reinforce the belief.
And, the fact is; you may actually be a part of the conspiracy.
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am They probably believe in more than one conspiracy theory.
This would have NO bearing on whether the conspiracy is actually true or not.
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am They will probably argue hard to defend their beliefs.
Is there a human being who probably would not argue hard to defend their beliefs?

If yes, then what would be the actual purpose of having beliefs in the first place?
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am So, what can you do?

I have tried encouraging open questioning, it has not so far yet worked, here in this forum anyway. I have also tried asking open questions, these are very rarely answered Honestly, as can be evidenced and proven throughout this forum.

How would you suggest to 'encourage open questions'?

Also, encourage open debate will NEVER work. This is because of what 'debating' ACTUALLY IS.

In fact, having beliefs and debating is a main cause of disagreements, disputes, resentment, fighting, and warring.
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am Ask detailed questions about their theory in order to trigger self-reflection.
I have asked these types of questions, but they VERY RARELY trigger self-reflection, as can be evidenced and proven throughout this forum.
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am Enlist trusted former conspiracy theorists who once believed the same thing.
If you have irrefutable proof, then why not just provide that?

But if you do not have irrefutable proof, then maybe have some self-reflection "yourself" and question why not
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am Be cautious and use a variety of sources around the theme.
The reason WHY 'you', adult human being believe what you believe is already understand, and known.
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am Show empathy. Often the person may be truly fearful and distressed.
Go step by step. Focus on simple facts and logic instead of covering every detail.
Don't push. Too much pressure might backfire. Leave them time to process and try again.

(copied and pasted from EU website on identifying and dealing with conspiracy theories)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:12 am How to talk to somebody who firmly believes in conspiracy theories

When talking to somebody who firmly believes in a conspiracy theory be aware that:

So, what can you do?

Good points, Belinda.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:59 pm

So, what can you do?

Good points, Belinda.
In past times ordinary people went to church and the priest or pastor told them what to believe. The church was an important part of a community and the pastor was a leader in the community. People knew what community they belonged to. Even after industrial revolution and consequent urbanisation churches were built and were well attended. Many workers in good industrial employment felt part of their secular working class communities, especially men doing hard and dangerous jobs.

In more recent post-industrial times many people feel they don't really belong to any community and want very much to belong . In the absence of an up to date religious mythology people look to quite daft mythologies such as so-called conspiracy theories which gives them the entree to communities of others who are co-believers.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Belinda wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:34 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:59 pm

So, what can you do?

Good points, Belinda.
In past times ordinary people went to church and the priest or pastor told them what to believe. The church was an important part of a community and the pastor was a leader in the community. People knew what community they belonged to. Even after industrial revolution and consequent urbanisation churches were built and were well attended. Many workers in good industrial employment felt part of their secular working class communities, especially men doing hard and dangerous jobs.

In more recent post-industrial times many people feel they don't really belong to any community and want very much to belong . In the absence of an up to date religious mythology people look to quite daft mythologies such as so-called conspiracy theories which gives them the entree to communities of others who are co-believers.
Belinda, your earlier post offers good advice for dealing with conspiracy theories. Online, I tend not to invest enough time/energy/concern to work through/past people's hypnotic and intoxicated rantings. They seem to be tying their identity/worth to it to such a degree that there's no incentive for them to consider any clarity or other viewpoints from strangers online. Whereas, if it were coming from someone they trust in their life, they might see/consider that there is much more available to fill their emptiness.

It seems to me that the online stage provides a place where some people who might otherwise feel marginalized can parade across dressed in whatever costumes they feel empowered by... spewing whatever script serves them. It might be sad if it weren't so ridiculous. No one is forced to be here.
If people are genuinely hurt or disturbed by what they experience here, they can step away any time. Although I do not wish ill on anyone, I think it's valuable to speak up against these ridiculous performances filled with self-righteous deceptive games.

Since ancient times, people who publicly play fools are asking to be laughed at. With the internet, there seems to be a dynamic that has evolved whereby people can explore every foolish thought and behavior and then act misunderstood or hurt or uniquely righteous when they're called out on it. The result appears to be that there are a lot of crazy people becoming crazier because there are no checks and balances when the internet is their primary interaction. They can ignore broader clarity in order to seek out and feed their particular obsessive compulsion and need. Further, they become like a cancer to all other discussion -- interjecting their insanity everywhere they see an opportunity -- creating a very noisy and repetitive environment, which discourages the participation of broader clarity and consideration. Perhaps that's the goal: to block out anything new/else.

I've come to see the online environment as a place to check ourselves -- rather than falsely validating/identifying ourselves. By calling out the falseness and self-service that we see represented here, we demonstrate our intention to avoid being convinced by or driven by such things.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Lacewing, I like your opinion of the online environment . I have two motives for engaging with it. One motive is it gives me a useful opportunity to rehearse my beliefs and perhaps crystallise them, perhaps change them . As you said "to check ourselves" if I understand you. My other motive is (again if I understand you) same as yours; to call out falsehoods and bad judgements as there is an ethical dimension to online.

I am not too bothered by people's ego problems, and I will reply if there is some material point that interests me. Nobody has time or energy to reply to every point everyone makes so we have to select.