What can we do about Bennu?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Vitruvius

Re: What can we do about Bennu?

Post by Vitruvius »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:05 pm ..yes, the moon...now we just need a really really really big spoon for a lever, or plan B.
I'm apt to take your word that I won't like Plan B. I've seen Plan A!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:10 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:05 pm ..yes, the moon...now we just need a really really really big spoon for a lever, or plan B.
I'm apt to take your word that I won't like Plan B. I've seen Plan A!
..thank fuck for that, I thought that actually was plan B and I was supposed to suggest plan C. :D
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

...actually, I can tell U plan C if you really really really...really want to hear, woops, read it?
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:10 pmI'm apt to take your word that I won't like Plan B. I've seen Plan A!
attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:17 pm ..thank fuck for that, I thought that actually was plan B and I was supposed to suggest plan C. :D
You are beginning to sound pessimistic regarding our ability to solve such problems. Other than the natural entropic pessimism of the effort it requires to do anything, and the pulling in opposite directions thing, I don't doubt our ability!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:28 pm
Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:10 pmI'm apt to take your word that I won't like Plan B. I've seen Plan A!
attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:17 pm ..thank fuck for that, I thought that actually was plan B and I was supposed to suggest plan C. :D
You are beginning to sound pessimistic regarding our ability to solve such problems. Other than the natural entropic pessimism of the effort it requires to do anything, and the pulling in opposite directions thing, I don't doubt our ability!
I'm not pessimistic, in fact, my plan D was Dolly Parton.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:10 pmYou are beginning to sound pessimistic regarding our ability to solve such problems. Other than the natural entropic pessimism of the effort it requires to do anything, and the pulling in opposite directions thing, I don't doubt our ability!
attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:30 pmI'm not pessimistic, in fact, my plan D was Dolly Parton.
Now you're just recycling your bouncy castle plan! So, having come full circle - had a laugh, could we have a serious look at the plan I proposed, which is to blow it the fuck up!

Apparently, it has a density slightly less than water - and would collapse under its own weight placed gently on the surface of the earth. They say it's 20-40% hollow which would seem to suggest it's not an ice ball covered in rubble, but a loose gravitational accumulation (itself quite interesting evidence of theories of planetary formation) of rocks with a low average density because of the empty space.

This might imply a main body, a largest interior piece of asteroid toward which the rest has gravitated. And if we were going to blow it up we would have to identify that piece. It's mapped in precise topological detail by an orbiting satellite - if you've seen the video, it's spectacular. Slightly more informative about the etymology of the Greek and Egyptian names co-opted for various features than the asteroid itself.... (The OP was also about science communication - anyone care to chip in on that?) (obscure on purpose anyone???) (no?) ...but nonetheless, might give adequate geological indications to the trained eyed of scientists with better equipment, to identify that main body. To me it just looks like an undifferentiated accumulation of boulder sized rocks - but there could be a lump, maybe the magnesite - to which the rest of the material was attracted. How large and dense that main fragment is would determine whether the asteroid could be destroyed by scattering - and, alternatively whether the main piece might be captured, and the consequent break up and loos of material under G would be no loss or danger.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I apologise, WILCO tomorrow, if nobody has a better plan...than the 3 I have suggested, i will have to resort to plan C as an option.

...for now, I shall drink some beer and wax lyrical in other domains or dominions. Cheers.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Essentially, it's a big wad of cotton candy.

I can't get too worked up over it.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:00 pm I apologise, WILCO tomorrow, if nobody has a better plan...than the 3 I have suggested, i will have to resort to plan C as an option.

...for now, I shall drink some beer and wax lyrical in other domains or dominions. Cheers.
No, it was fun. You're funny! I think. I'm thinky!
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:04 pm Essentially, it's a big wad of cotton candy.
A big wad of cotton candy that crosses earth's orbital path on an annual basis, and would hit the earth like a shotgun blast. Interesting thought; because one wonders if the first rocks to enter the atmosphere wouldn't punch a hole, displacing air and reducing friction - such that the impact would be more devastating than a single mass impact - with a crater 10-20 km across, and a blast zone of 100km, and massive damage for a thousand miles all around, to say nothing of the material thrown into the atmosphere, tsunamis and subsequent nuclear winter. No, nothing to worry about!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:15 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:04 pm Essentially, it's a big wad of cotton candy.
A big wad of cotton candy that crosses earth's orbital path on an annual basis, and would hit the earth like a shotgun blast. Interesting thought; because one wonders if the first rocks to enter the atmosphere wouldn't punch a hole, displacing air and reducing friction - such that the impact would be more devastating than a single mass impact - with a crater 10-20 km across, and a blast zone of 100km, and massive damage for a thousand miles all around, to say nothing of the material thrown into the atmosphere, tsunamis and subsequent nuclear winter. No, nothing to worry about!
I get it, guy. Ain't nuthin' to be done about it (unless Space X gets involved).

It smacks us or it doesn't.

Hell, even it were a mile-wide chunk of nickel-iron, I wouldn't sweat it.

What I can't fix: I endure (or die from). But: I don't worry about it.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:30 pmI get it, guy. Ain't nuthin' to be done about it (unless Space X gets involved).

It's is a serious threat, but I think - also, maybe, an enormous opportunity. The initial idea was to catch the dam thing - but then, maybe it is or isn't suitable to be caught, or maybe part of it is, and if so - it's an enormous opportunity, essentially - to build a ladder into space!

Attach a solar sail to the magnesite chunk - if that's what it is, like a parachute creating drag, the rubble will keep going, the thing will break apart, and the chute will slow the main magnesite piece for entry into earth orbit.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Whadda we gonna do with Unkle Bennu.

I propose we start a crowed funding ART PROJECT, so that we can build a ship full of paint.
Visit Bennu and paint it in an array of bright colours to invoke the Yarkovsky effect, to nudge it away from the gravity well of the earth.
We could set up a competition for the best art design.

Failing that we could just leave a nuke on it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Vitruvius wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:38 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:30 pmI get it, guy. Ain't nuthin' to be done about it (unless Space X gets involved).

It's is a serious threat, but I think - also, maybe, an enormous opportunity. The initial idea was to catch the dam thing - but then, maybe it is or isn't suitable to be caught, or maybe part of it is, and if so - it's an enormous opportunity, essentially - to build a ladder into space!

Attach a solar sail to the magnesite chunk - if that's what it is, like a parachute creating drag, the rubble will keep going, the thing will break apart, and the chute will slow the main magnesite piece for entry into earth orbit.
You can't catch it.
Because...
Mass: 78 billion kg
Average orbital speed: 28.0 km/s
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:55 pm You can't catch it.
Because...
Mass: 78 billion kg
Average orbital speed: 28.0 km/s
I've caught it - on paper, I've solved the problem insofar as my knowledge allows. Started thinking about it, detour via comedy central himself, thought about it some more, solved it! The answer to "What can we do about Bennu?" is:

"Attach a solar sail to the magnesite chunk - if that's what it is, like a parachute creating drag, the rubble will keep going, the thing will break apart, and the chute will slow the main magnesite piece for entry into earth orbit."

Thanks for your somewhat belated vote of confidence, but I've answered the question to my satisfaction, using feasible technological solutions. And I know I'll be dead by 2135, but we have to start thinking about this now. I mean, look how they dragged their feet on solving climate change!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33424
Last edited by Vitruvius on Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.