your penalty box

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: your penalty box

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:21 pm Hell, *I could start my own forum, reproduce the contents of the locked thread, and no one could tell me boo
That's the Henry I know.
8)

Post by Age »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:31 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:11 pm Seems clear I'm bein' told by management to shut up .
Hmmm...I don't have you pegged for a man to take such advice sitting down. The Henry I know wouldn't put up with the censorship. He'd just maybe raise the stakes.
Or raise "his" guns instead.

Why not just shoot the moderators dead "henry quirk", for taking and touching what you believe is YOURS?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

FFS. Talk about attention-seeking. It was ONE THREAD that was locked. It happens frequently. It was a thread which was composed almost entirely of idiotic internet 'memes' that were cluttering up the site and possibly causing loading problems.
Cry all you like Henry. I've had threads locked and didn't think it was even worth mentioning.
Stop being a butt-hurt baby. 'Goodbye cruel world' speeches are pure ego.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:11 am
henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:21 pm Hell, *I could start my own forum, reproduce the contents of the locked thread, and no one could tell me boo
That's the Henry I know.
8)
👍

----------

So, what makes for a good forum?

All input is welcome (even from folks like the two crapsacks who posted directly above [obviously, their preferences would be a great guide for what not to do with a forum]).
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Clearly not referring to me then, since I'm in his 'penalty box' and he couldn't possible have seen what I wrote :D
henry quirk

crapsacks

Post by henry quirk »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:20 am As my time and contributions here will be light from now on: I've set all the birdies free.
henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:54 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:24 pm 6. People you will never speak to again, under any circumstances, and whose messages you don't read at all.
The lil birdies I had in the box were and still are 6s.

I released 'em cuz I don't expect to be here much anymore (therefore any temptation to tussle with 'em will be low).
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:05 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:49 pm Oh. I see what happened. The "Not safe for anyone" thread got locked.

Cheer up, Henry. It's just a slap on the wrist. Just stop playing epidemiologist for a while. There are plenty of other things to talk about. And be thankful you haven't died of Covid. I hear the morgues where I reside (Florida) are at capacity right now and hospitals are actually more dangerous than fighting the illness at home due to staff shortages and unsanitary conditions that are stemming from those shortages.
Nice try, Gary... 👍
Nice try, back at you, Henry. :wink:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:52 am Clearly not referring to me then, since I'm in his 'penalty box' and he couldn't possible have seen what I wrote :D
"Crapsack" is probably more projection on Henry's part than anything else. Judging from his Avatar and demeanor, one sort of wonders about his own hygiene. But Henry does things Henry's way and if it brings about the destruction of the civilized world, then so be it, I guess. Nothing the rest of us can do. We try to warn him, he doesn't listen.

Post by Age »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:24 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:30 pm We have, in this place, the possibility of puttin' folks on ignore.
I've been thinking about this. I think there are gradations, too.

Yeah, there's an official "penalty box." But that's more of an "banning from the league," since it implies you'll never see what they write. But in hockey, there are two-minute penalties, five-minute penalties, game misconduct penalties, and even suspensions. And all of these are more routine than total banning is.

The gradations are really something like this:

1. Regular players -- People not banned or penalized at all -- you read everything they post to you, maybe.
2. Play blown dead / offside flagged -- This might include people you may read but don't always respond to, for one reason or another.
3. Two-minute minor penalty -- People you may take a 'vacation' from, because they're having a fit of being unreasonable, but may return to the game later.
4. Major penalty -- People you read briefly only, just far enough to see if, contrary to habit, they're being reasonable, but otherwise mostly ignore because they have an established pattern of irrationality, posturing and drama, unresponsiveness to reason,ad hominems, interfering, abusing, trolling, or their most common fault -- just being boring and not very smart.
5. Long-Term Suspension -- People who you may find generally nasty, rude and not very bright, and with whom you only check back occasionally, just to see if, by some chance, they've become a better interlocutor or have grown up in some way, and maybe become a nicer person.
and
6. Eviction from the league -- People you will never speak to again, under any circumstances, and whose messages you don't read at all.

Would anybody ever do an absolute 6? Maybe. But I think a high "5" is about as far as I would go.
Yet when you put "another" on the ignore list, you, obviously, can NOT read what they write, so you will never speak to them again. Which means you have ultimately evicted "them from the league". In other words, you BELIEVE you are better than those ones. Which is Truly laughable, considering all of the facts.

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:54 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:24 pm 6. People you will never speak to again, under any circumstances, and whose messages you don't read at all.
The lil birdies I had in the box were and still are 6s.

I released 'em cuz I don't expect to be here much anymore (therefore any temptation to tussle with 'em will be low).
When you say "be here much anymore", how much is 'much'?

Re: and here's #5...

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:59 pm
Walker wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:15 pmI figure at his ripe old age, Henry knows what he doesn't need.
Yep, and I know where I'm not wanted (admittedly, it took the 2 x 4 of a locked thread to drive it home, but 'message received').
When were you under the illusion that you were ever 'wanted' here?

Re: and here's #5...

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:11 pm
Walker wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:05 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:59 pm

Yep, and I know where I'm not wanted (admittedly, it took the 2 x 4 of a locked thread to drive it home, but 'message received').
Personally, I wouldn't be hasty in assuming cause, which is not an attempt to invalidate your insight but rather the way I see it as one who has been censored, but that's just me because a hard heart has at times proved me wrong in the past, as has anyone who has tasted foot in mouth syndrome.
Can't take it any other way than as dismissal.

The thread was locked without warning or explanation.

Seems clear I'm bein' told by management to shut up .
So, you think it is fine and okay to tell "others" to not just shut up but also to kill "others" when you do not like them, but when someone just closes a thread that you started you feel unwanted and fall to pieces.

WHY is it so common that the ones who ACT the toughest are really the weakest of the lot?
henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:11 pm I'm not faultin' 'em for it. I'm a guest here; they call the shots.

It just is what it is.
If it really 'is, what it is', then WHY go on like a dejected child?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:00 am
Yet when you put "another" on the ignore list, you, obviously, can NOT read what they write ...
The block only works if you are logged on.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:16 am
Age wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:00 am
Yet when you put "another" on the ignore list, you, obviously, can NOT read what they write ...
The block only works if you are logged on.
Ah okay, thanks for the knowledge.

So, if any one wants to read what someone who is on their ignore list has written, then all they have to do is just not log on.

Although this seems to defeat the whole purpose for putting "others" on an ignore list, this does give people the ability to advertise that they have put "another" in their, so called, "penalty box", or ignore list, as though they are somehow much more superior than the "other" is while all the time still having the ability to 'secretly' read what the "other" is writing anyway.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Age wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:00 am In other words, you BELIEVE you are better than those ones.
Not at all. All it means is that they are behaving it a way which is either silly, immature, unchallenging, uninteresting, impeding to honest thought, or perhaps trolling. And one is choosing not to bother with contributions that are contemptible or a waste of time. Life's too short.

So by putting them in the penalty box, one is saying nothing at all about the person -- or about how good or bad they are, relative to you. It's about whether or not they're a good conversationalist at that moment. That's all. It's about their words, not their person.

Conversation is a privilege, not a right. A person who only obscures, misdirects, insults and adds irrelevancies, especially after warnings, loses that privilege. Exactly right, too.