What do U recommend philosophically delving into RE TV series or films?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

What do U recommend philosophically delving into RE TV series or films?

Post by attofishpi »

Please list as:-

Series:

Film:

Series: American Gods (author Neil Gaiman)

Series: Taboo (only 1 season - they are considering a 2nd) - Tom Hardy takes on the British Crown and East India Company - set on river Thames, characters akin to those in Oliver Twist - around American War of Independence, and central to plot.

Film: Cloud Atlas (aesthetically beautiful, jumps time, actors play many roles through time, including Haley Berry and Tom Hanks <- fantastic as a psycho Scotsman)

Film: Gattaca - genetic engineered 'elites' and implications of DNA 'perfection'

Series & a film: Fargo, the film fantastic, hilarious at times (but series - only season 1,3,4 - i didn't like 2) - season 1 with Billy B Thornton - psycho flowed on from the film - fantastic.

Series: Altered Carbon - (cyberpunk - basically digital 'eternal' souls for the rich)

Series: Westworld (spin off of orig 80s? film) - Anthony Hopkins as key AI developer of ('sentient' <- that's the crux) android beings.

Film: Ghost in the Shell - (not into the orig anime - but Scarlett Johansen) best cyberpunk film ever ..mmm V matrix 1,2.

Film: Lucy - again Scarlett Johansen - she truly can nail the cyberpunk chick (wish I c...woops)

Series: Mr Robot - excellent hacker (much of which is a tad b******s) - but implications of technological security and consequences of breaches,

...that's it for now - I used to love Logans Run and all that old stuff but..ya - prefer good CGI now with the plotlines.
Impenitent

Re: What do U recommend philosophically delving into RE TV series or films?

Post by Impenitent »

Film: Name of the Rose

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091605/

-Imp
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Impenitent wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:38 pm Film: Name of the Rose

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091605/

-Imp
ya. That is already in my stored facility, I think U or sum 1, perhaps the other u recommended it.

I need to know Y i should commit my time to it philosophically, I am certain U understand.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

what happened to Aristotle's second book of poetics on comedy?

-Imp
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:13 pm Please list as:-

Series:

Film:

Series: American Gods (author Neil Gaiman)

Series: Taboo (only 1 season - they are considering a 2nd) - Tom Hardy takes on the British Crown and East India Company - set on river Thames, characters akin to those in Oliver Twist - around American War of Independence, and central to plot.

Film: Cloud Atlas (aesthetically beautiful, jumps time, actors play many roles through time, including Haley Berry and Tom Hanks <- fantastic as a psycho Scotsman)

Film: Gattaca - genetic engineered 'elites' and implications of DNA 'perfection'

Series & a film: Fargo, the film fantastic, hilarious at times (but series - only season 1,3,4 - i didn't like 2) - season 1 with Billy B Thornton - psycho flowed on from the film - fantastic.

Series: Altered Carbon - (cyberpunk - basically digital 'eternal' souls for the rich)

Series: Westworld (spin off of orig 80s? film) - Anthony Hopkins as key AI developer of ('sentient' <- that's the crux) android beings.

Film: Ghost in the Shell - (not into the orig anime - but Scarlett Johansen) best cyberpunk film ever ..mmm V matrix 1,2.

Film: Lucy - again Scarlett Johansen - she truly can nail the cyberpunk chick (wish I c...woops)

Series: Mr Robot - excellent hacker (much of which is a tad b******s) - but implications of technological security and consequences of breaches,

...that's it for now - I used to love Logans Run and all that old stuff but..ya - prefer good CGI now with the plotlines.
????? you question is what are good films/tv shows that are about thinking bout stuff?

BTW original Westworld is early 70'. 74 i think.

Yes Gattica is a good call BTW - good movie too.

per individual liberty vs the state - the original Prisonar is a good series.

The Lathe of Heaven (original 1979 one) is good flick.

and of course 2001 a space oddesey is top of all tops about the matter.

soylend greed (over pop- natures ruin) -

Planet of the apes - original of course - rascism/hypocricy of organized religion
original Star Trek and the Nxt Gen off shoot universal humanism - evn aliens are humane if they follow thier inner voices.

original Twilight Zon tv series - social commentary.

Nothing but a man - best movie ever made about the universal condition of being a man in an unjust world - just set in the South with black caracters where rascism is alive a well - an added vex to the universal oneof plight and fatherhood. its a great movie with full character dev (Ivan dix - from that dumb tv series about ww2 pows - Hogan Heroe) - he shows he can actually act in this movie and not just a character actor is a dumb tv show).......this movies needs a bluray release BADLY>

---------------

all the shows i gave date to pre-80's - for a reason, the new shit is just that, and offer no character dev, nor moral message. I ignore anything new myself for i am biased and assume its all shit so don't bother to watch.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

given more thought and The Rapture i have to include also. it give an evvangelical view of God and how a devoit person cant make god show up - she shoots her girl to make god show up. it does not work - for her.

Pride or so it is said is why she stays in hell forever, but is god fair in that sentance?

a smart movie mkae one think.

no bluray release either - why not?

the movie Frailty has a similarr vibe BTW

thniking some more........prob Seven's Seal might be appt (not een that since i was in my 20's - 30 yrs ago) - but it is about the angel of death and the mortal's plight.

also The Hunt (last good movie made IMO - 10? yrs ago) - Danish. about a MAN suspect for being a MAN in todays society, in spite of him being of good character - sen with a small girl so must be a pedo (even his "best friend" allows himself to be p-wipped by his wif to fuck opver his former "best" friend"). when the shit hits the fan the know who are your real friends - another "lesser" non- "best" friend" supports him and shows himself the better and only true friend in the moive). - Along with his son - who show his character by supporting his dad -.

the dog scene is heartbreaking - choose your friends wisely, otherwise you will get fucked over and so will your dog -sadly.

----------- not a philosophical movie (but one that will remvoe 2-weeks off your life with each veiwing - for veiwing evil) - is Snowtown shows the nature of evil

"shoot the fucking dog!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NZYxHrqUZI

excellent movie - top 10 of all time - and grim as fuck.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Thanks gaffo - will have a look at some of those.
I watched Snowtown which as you likely know is based on a true story of bodies in found in barrels in an abandoned bank in a town called Snowtown - North not far from me. I think it starts in the shithole suburb Elizabeth - and that scene you posted is likely there.
Elizabeth a suburb that was created as a place for 'poms' English immigrants to be settled, is now 'Bogan' central decent people living among meth morons.

I just booted the computer to watch it again.

btw - blue ray is bollocks. Unless you like a physical package and are a collector of such things - files *.mkv - don't need DVD or blue-ray or any disk - that's ancient tech really for Mums and Dads - or above.

If the streaming sites that I eventually decided to support don't have a film or series I am interested in, I torrent - the files go to my PC, and a tip to anyone with a smart TV that supports DLNA protocol - put PS3 Media player on your PC - and load up the folders MOVIES\TV SERIES woteva - and stream directly from the PC HD to the TV.

As far as pre 80s, not really into it...quite the opposite in fact, I think things have improved vastly by way of story plot lines, depth and of course quality visually CGI. The market is overloaded with CRAP, it's just a case of finding the good stuff.

I just watched on AMA.PRIME, 'I care a lot' - holy crap - in the end I was slightly disappointed but it was very enjoyable.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:24 am Thanks gaffo - will have a look at some of those.
I watched Snowtown which as you likely know is based on a true story of bodies in found in barrels in an abandoned bank in a town called Snowtown - North not far from me. I think it starts in the shithole suburb Elizabeth - and that scene you posted is likely there.
Elizabeth a suburb that was created as a place for 'poms' English immigrants to be settled, is now 'Bogan' central decent people living among meth morons.

I just booted the computer to watch it again.

btw - blue ray is bollocks. Unless you like a physical package and are a collector of such things - files *.mkv - don't need DVD or blue-ray or any disk - that's ancient tech really for Mums and Dads - or above.

If the streaming sites that I eventually decided to support don't have a film or series I am interested in, I torrent - the files go to my PC, and a tip to anyone with a smart TV that supports DLNA protocol - put PS3 Media player on your PC - and load up the folders MOVIES\TV SERIES woteva - and stream directly from the PC HD to the TV.

As far as pre 80s, not really into it...quite the opposite in fact, I think things have improved vastly by way of story plot lines, depth and of course quality visually CGI. The market is overloaded with CRAP, it's just a case of finding the good stuff.

I just watched on AMA.PRIME, 'I care a lot' - holy crap - in the end I was slightly disappointed but it was very enjoyable.

got fking timed out - refer to below for reply.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:24 am Thanks gaffo - will have a look at some of those.
yep, I do know some of your nation having in interest in it as one with a similar culture to America. I do have an interest and liking of your Nation - though middle way ignorant being an American (but not fully ignorant having a globalist interest in things - so know stuff like East Timor and illegal invasion by indonesia in early 70's - later UN - under you Ausies helping them become independant, and know you guys fell into the VEinan war - like we did sadly.

BTW Wolf Creek is a good movie (made a 2nd i never saw) based upon Ivan Milot(sp) - not on par with snowtown nore even remotely accurate, just saytin i know about ivan, and bondi Beach, and Beomont............Casefiles is an excellent crime podcast by an unnamed aussie.

Bondi is unsolved, but i susspect the perp was the "beauty Queen killler - forget his name - he would have ben the same age as the kid on the bech - 15 or so - the guy who move over to my woods and killed girls on florda in the 80's - and hook up electrodes to a hostages that survived somehow shortyl after - and shot and killed in New Hapshire in 89 at gasstation- i think.

per the Baumont kids - i think the same guy took that other kid in the lat 60's early 760 from soccar field - the thin face fucker that was finally caught as an old 80 something 20 yrs ago - the photo fit is spot one. good enough for me (though i know there are more perps than most wish th think - so tie in all evil to one guy when 3-6 do them..............but they guy had a thin face and the photo fit is apt. so i think its the same guy.

attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:24 am

MY understanding is "poms" is a disparaging term. if not, i'd like to be informed its not.

not into disparagement myself. I am an universal humanist and affirm all persons are human physically regardless of race or sex, and culturally regardless of nation origin, , though some are pure assholes in spite of.

attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:24 am I just booted the computer to watch it again.
even macines need a detox -so understand. I'm a Liberal per individual rights, but no fking beeding heart.

so fk whats his name. I do know that he must have been fked by his dad and or sever steps.............but instead of killing himself (never good unless you end up like him and kill others - the do it!), or going into advicacy to end chiuld rape - he pussied out and did the cowards way - the way of the bully - Transfirance!

hate the world for being raped by me dad/stepdad - so kill all others out of hate (and coawardice (and lack of self actualization) - the wise kid would say "i was fked by my dad/step, so i should not hate mysewlf - nor transfir my hate to others unrelated to my stepdad.

anyway - drunk and too lazy to spell check..........fk that guy and his weak minded sidekick, i understand his childhood plight, and so understand that, but reject his cowadice to refuse to self actualiize himself. so fuck him.

don't kill me for your problems asshole - look inward and fix your problems before you play the caward and kill me for nothing you dick.

but the easyt way is to look for scagoats,.

---to be clear Bunting had noting tolame himself for, the prob got fked as a kid, i blame hime fom for not being self reflective enough to affirm himself as not deserving to be fucked instead of being the coward he was and transsfiring hislow self image upon the rest of the world - like all bullies - fuck all bullies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have personal experiences. all bulliesa are assholes and tranfirance artists and fuck them all.

no bleeding heart here......fk virtue signaling too BTW. i affirm right and deny wrong, and ignore my ego as much as i can.

attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:24 am btw - blue ray is bollocks. Unless you like a physical package and are a collector of such things - files *.mkv - don't need DVD or blue-ray or any disk - that's ancient tech really for Mums and Dads - or above.

yes discs are antient tech, so? alternative is rental where ad infintum. i.e. streaming.

fk that. i buy the disc as soon as it is offered (bought the original "woman in black (1987) last summer - when available - only 2500 or so - 25 bucks by me - fine - i now own it - so n removal vai copyreich bullshit and inter copr agreement can remove my viewing of tht movie.

BTW i also boguth "the war game/Caloden(sp) - peter watkins) bluray 6 yrs ago when offered - knowin gof it via dvd yrs prior.

also the Shout. Magic - both denied bluray release unitl the last 4 yrs or so - bought them as soon as.\ offred.

now why is Smoke Signals, Spitfire Grill, - ALLL of Majid MaJidi 8 or so movie never offerd in bluray - "Because he is iranian!" godles heathen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol.

still no bluray.

fuck rentalware. renting is a scame. torrrent a lessser movie of you are into lesser. never rent a worthy movie - buy it so you have control over it.

if its not buyinh its not worth renting.

otherwise buy the fking dissc.

ok from me to you" what i think is worth viewing - by ottent, renting or bying dsic..................whaterver - for me i buy only the top teir and do not rent. - others do what they liek.

many excellent movies

The Hunt
White Balloon
Majid Majid's Color of paradice, song of sparrows, children of heaven. etc.................great director do your onw research.

another great director from S amercai - Motorcycle dieries, Central Station - the latter is beeter Walter Saless. - no blu ray - why not? to make physical media "obolite" so you can rent forever the hi rez vid without owning it - view but not own? - yes that is why and the whole own vs view "war"
attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:24 am
agreed - absolutley.

attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:24 am As far as pre 80s, not really into it...quite the opposite in fact, I think things have improved vastly by way of story plot lines,

ok, lets talk about this Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in terms of plot lines - i find old stuff assummed folks did not have "smartphones" condending for attentions.

character dev has died ---- not all b/w -gray in the real world - but "moviies are today are about the mindless pops and the industry so no need fo Battel fo aalgiers - just some smucck in tights will do who is all good and @ deimensioal.

i.e. cCkark Kent.

why bother with pre 00's Planet of the Apes?s fore get the whole social comentary about organizeed religion and hypocrisy adn racism of the original Plamnet of the Ape - BTE Zauis was right! man was fucked..................but Zaius never asked the same question about his ape - and yes his personss were as fked and hypocritictal.........................................but MY poit is all this shit is so fkling dumbed down tht there is no longer THINKING aboput shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in movies naymmre!!!!!!!!!!

orog pllanet of apges runs circles s abourd all the latter shit - and why all is shit after 1980 = give or take a dcade - ther ewill always of a few excetptions/

but new - post 1980 is SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it just is.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

other worhty movies worth buying and not renting.

Breaker Morant - Edward Woodward is topsof all time. "i've scene the world" - is all you need to know - BTW Callan is a top tier tv show - i did not know about nor ever heard about until finding part on yourtube 8 yrs ago and since buying the 6 yrs or so BW/color PAL dvd of................

Kubricks Paths of Glory - ttops. ridley sscoots the dualists also tops...........natuer of honour - vsually perfect - films that mke you tHIK - non after 1980 do that - The Hunt does, 7 yrs a slave does "master is a good man.................hes a slaver".............yuep..............think. those are exeptons to the general all stuff after 1980 is shit. 2 characters with no dev, now just nice purdy CGI to fill the lack of thinking and plot to make the movie look good.

ok pre me to you:

good movies - note the ones i mentioned abovr.

add Zelary, Kollya, Valintin, The Lives of Others, The Tunnel, the hunt, battle of algiers, the senveth seal, th city of lif and death (betst ww2 movie about the rape ope of naking - chinese movie) th burmese harp,dark blue world, downfall, wages of ear...............etc.

BTW nothing but a man remains the in the top 5 o fall time and still no bluray release.............. ;-(.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

BTW the movie The lives of others is on par with nothing but a man.

in th etop 5 of all time, in that movie the protagoinist is a true beleive in the communism/stazi- note his apartment in the movie - bare - no art, later he "grows" and comes to identify himself with the one e is spying on - and notes that his bose is a hypocrite, by the ned of the movie he becomea full human being like the one he originally as orderd to spy upon.

its a lovely move - all about the huam spirt.

if you have not watched it yet do so please sir.

welcome conversing with you in the future - you are a good guy as i am, so peace to ya and welcome talking more in future.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbNKQwoDrHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KUuTJW269M

Shanter s a great like Heston - but both over actors - but works for them.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

BTW the Apu Trillogy are excellent also. Bengali directer of the 50's.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

BTW - whats the latest about the Clearmont murders?

I heard about them 5 trs ago via crine scne australia tv show on TY - they caught the guy - a internet installer - via his borther pulled over for driving drunk - and tieed via dna to the klkilling yrs prior - so whats the update on the perv? not heard here in the us.

BTW the grany vidoe of the perv (in the show yrs before they got him) with the girl that died looks like hte guy guy they got - just syin.

?nice guy with kids soccor menter etc? - as they always say.

sucks to be his wife and kids - not shade on them - for you never know, and the sins of the father are not visited upon the sons/daughrters - not by me - but if ones a dick asshole no doubt they are - for such fuckers sin isinborn and so genrations upon generation - or race - are born in sin................but that is about them (so get a mirror and refer to "who is without sin cast the stone") and thier mentality, not mine.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

over the years YT has caved to copyreich laws and so the bermese herp is not on YUT anymore - not the full movie - fraces' Daaily motion may have it - franace nefver signed the dmca and so DM does have movies in contravention of copyreich laws - anyway the final scen where the serg read the letter is tops - fully heartfelt and sublime. if you can find that part of the the movie on the net. these days.

FYI i ran across that movie on YT yrs ago - before google cavd to copyriech laws - so viewed it and then bought the bluray of - many yrs ago.

sadly google's YT totday is not the one i loved yrs ago and no longer allows such discovery fo great movies these day.