Skepick's and tillingborn's mental mastication thread.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tillingborn

Re: Skepick's and tillingborn's mental masturbation thread.

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:12 pmLets see if "asthetics" is being Held true come what may
Won't that be fun? Off you go then.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

tillingborn wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:28 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:02 pmNothing contained within beliefs are necessarily true. In fact in most cases the words "believe" and "belief" most commonly tend to be applied to POVs about which no rational or evidential basis is applied.
Belief is, then, generally a choice, or (would the believer accept it) nothing more than an aspiration that such a thing ought to be true.
More or less my point. I think anyone who has actually studied philosophy knows this and understands the implication that if someone chooses to believe something it is because they like the idea.
Great.
I think it a mistake to confuse belief with knowledge, as some use the terms interchangably.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:54 pm
tillingborn wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:28 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:02 pmNothing contained within beliefs are necessarily true. In fact in most cases the words "believe" and "belief" most commonly tend to be applied to POVs about which no rational or evidential basis is applied.
Belief is, then, generally a choice, or (would the believer accept it) nothing more than an aspiration that such a thing ought to be true.
More or less my point. I think anyone who has actually studied philosophy knows this and understands the implication that if someone chooses to believe something it is because they like the idea.
Great.
I think it a mistake to confuse belief with knowledge, as some use the terms interchangably.
Define the difference between a belief and a theory.
(I am not asking this to wind u up or woteva, I am truly interested in someone of academia to answer that, if you don't mind).
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:14 pm
tillingborn wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:28 pm More or less my point. I think anyone who has actually studied philosophy knows this and understands the implication that if someone chooses to believe something it is because they like the idea.
Great.
(I am not asking this to wind u up or woteva, I am truly interested in someone of academia to answer that, if you don't mind).
(whistle)

Good Boy!!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:38 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:14 pm

Great.
(whistle)
Er, woof? CW, if that is a photo of you in the avatar - you clearly don't have enough wind in your sails to blow a whistle, and certainly (I believe) must have a very frail dog, borderline starving dog by now.

Sculptor wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:38 pm Good Boy!!
No, I am a very naughty boy.

You clearly don't want to scalped again intellectually, by an undereducated dog.

Now then, I BELIEVE you are attempting to feed me fish fingers shaped to look like bones, but it is ONLY a THEORY.

It is also a belief of mine, that you, and especially your brother, have been VERY naughty boys, and should consider your surname very closely.
tillingborn

Re: Skepick's and tillingborn's mental mastication thread.

Post by tillingborn »

Someone didn't like the title of this thread. Oh well.
attofishpi

Re: Skepick's and tillingborn's mental mastication thread.

Post by attofishpi »

tillingborn wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:41 am Someone didn't like the title of this thread. Oh well.
Ya - I thought it was originally more to do with mastering oneself than chewing on things!!

..actually, maybe one of the superpowers are having a dig at Sculptor, well done!