Protests in Russia

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Protests in Russia

Post by Gary Childress »

Speaking of riots and protests, it doesn't look like Putin wants to let go of power any time soon.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/up ... d=msedgntp
Walker

Re: Protests in Russia

Post by Walker »

I heard an on-the-street interview with a woman, broadcast by NPR, who was asked about the safety of the protesters and rioters. She said there were too many of them for the authorities to do anything. As I recall, she was saying there were too many of them as a group, when they all stayed together. She sounded young.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:16 am Speaking of riots and protests, it doesn't look like Putin wants to let go of power any time soon.

I am PRETTY SURE that 'you', a human being, ACTUALLY 'needs' ANY evidence NOR proof to come to the conclusion that ANY one with "power" does NOT LOOK LIKE that they want to let go of power, ANY time soon.

This is just an OBVIOUS FACT, in and of itself, SURELY?

The VERY reason ANY one gains power, over "others", INFERS that they will NEVER want to relinquish/let go of that "power".

This goes WITHOUT SAYING, correct?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:07 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:16 am Speaking of riots and protests, it doesn't look like Putin wants to let go of power any time soon.

I am PRETTY SURE that 'you', a human being, ACTUALLY 'needs' ANY evidence NOR proof to come to the conclusion that ANY one with "power" does NOT LOOK LIKE that they want to let go of power, ANY time soon.

The VERY reason ANY one gains power, over "others", INFERS that they will NEVER want to relinquish/let go of that "power".

Probably true. Outside of countries (usually democratic) that place term limits on political positions few have relinquished power willingly.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:40 pm

Probably true. Outside of countries (usually democratic) that place term limits on political positions few have relinquished power willingly.
Surely you would of seen, just very recently, in a supposed democratic country, even when the, so called, "leaders" time was up they still did NOT want to relinquish that power, willingly, nor at all, correct?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:13 am

Surely you would of seen, just very recently, in a supposed democratic country, even when the, so called, "leaders" time was up they still did NOT want to relinquish that power, willingly, nor at all, correct?
Probably few leaders "want" to relinquish power. That is true (hence my response to your post; "probably true"). However, note: it can be argued that at least some leaders in democratic countries have relinquished power "willingly" when they lost elections (meaning they didn't resort to violence or illegal means to retain power). However, my second statement was posed in such a way as to back up my agreement with you. So I see no argument here unless you do.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:44 am

Probably few leaders "want" to relinquish power.
OBVIOUSLY NONE want to relinquish power. That is WHY they are STILL in their position. By definition if they are REMAINING in power, then they do NOT want to relinquish power.
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:44 am That is true (hence my response to your post; "probably true"). However, note: it can be argued that at least some leaders in democratic countries have relinquished power "willingly" when they lost elections (meaning they didn't resort to violence or illegal means to retain power). However, my second statement was posed in such a way as to back up my agreement with you. So I see no argument here unless you do.
Okay on re-reading I SEE what you are saying, and meaning, this time.

I thought, MISTAKENLY, that you were implying that more so the leaders of "other countries" were less willing to relinquish power willingly. So, I apologize.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:16 am

OBVIOUSLY NONE want to relinquish power. That is WHY they are STILL in their position. By definition if they are REMAINING in power, then they do NOT want to relinquish power.
So if a leader willingly resigns or steps down after having attained power, doesn't that mean, at least in some cases (depending on the circumstances), that he or she "wanted" to relinquish power?

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:31 pm
Age wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:16 am

So if a leader willingly resigns or steps down after having attained power, doesn't that mean, at least in some cases (depending on the circumstances), that he or she "wanted" to relinquish power?
Yes, OF COURSE.

I am VERY GLAD you want to go down this path.

I would even say in ALL cases.

Now that I have made this now appear VERY CONTRADICTORY, please proceed.

Also, and just to be CLEAR you were aware of the 'typo' in my first response to you correct?