What ever happened to OnlinePhilosophy Forum

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Impenitent

Re: What ever happened to OnlinePhilosophy Forum

Post by Impenitent »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:46 pm
Dubious wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:50 am From what I've seen approximately a year ago it was a pale imitation of what it was and probably only got worse in the meantime. It was sponsored but if there's only a small clique talking to each other with very few additions its sponsors will also depart. Don't know for certain if that's the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.
I've been posting there recently.
I have to say that it is every bit as good as this Forum.
Both have their kooks, and crazies, but the level of debate, where it exists is much the same as here.
The really bad one is...
https://www.ilovephilosophy.com/
Which is full of Trumpers moaning about "the steal" and Trump loosing his 1st amendment right because of being banned from Twitter and Facebook.
over 10 years ago, ILP had a different owner and fair moderation... is Faust still there?

-Imp
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:39 pm
Dubious wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:50 am From what I've seen approximately a year ago it was a pale imitation of what it was and probably only got worse in the meantime. It was sponsored but if there's only a small clique talking to each other with very few additions its sponsors will also depart. Don't know for certain if that's the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.
Both have their kooks, and crazies, but the level of debate, where it exists is much the same as here.
The really bad one is...
Which is full of Trumpers moaning about "the steal" and Trump loosing his 1st amendment right because of being banned from Twitter and Facebook.
over 10 years ago, ILP had a different owner and fair moderation... is Faust still there?

-Imp
I just did a search.
His last post was in May.So probably not.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:12 pm
Dubious wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:52 am
The really bad one is...
I was on ilovephilosophy many years ago to the point where I can't even recall my name or passcode on the site. What's also true, for me at least, is that reading philosophers or about philosophers and its history is a thousand time more stimulating and educational than being on a philosophy forum...any philosophy forum. If I write anything, it's kept very short with the occasional odd exception. Too many idiots who can't even spell America right or religious freaks who could have had a career as inquisitors a thousand years ago.
What puzzles me is why such people should be attrated to the word "philosophy" in the title of the forum.
The only way I can explain it is that philosophy forums are mostly opinion forums with the occasional bit of philosophy interspersed. It goes without saying that everyone's opinion is sacred and not to be trifled with no matter how stupid or insane it is.

Philosophy forums are those places where facts get overruled by sentiments and personal beliefs.