Favorite Pet Peeve

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Favorite Pet Peeve

Post by commonsense »

What is your ‘favorite’ pet peeve?

As for me, the majority of my pet peeves—yes, there are many, I’m embarrassed to say—are related to grammar and punctuation.

I try, admittedly imperfectly, not to be a language cop or grammar Nazi. But when American English (i.e. the American version of the Queen’s English) is butchered, I figuratively—not literally—have a stroke.

And it’s the littlest of things that bothers me. Even what’s said verbally (wouldn’t ‘orally’ be more appropriate when referring to the spoken word?) can irk me.

“It’s not” sounds the same as “It’s snot” and that is why the proper contraction is “It isn’t”.

And in conclusion, we must always remember to not split infinitives.
Last edited by commonsense on Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpheresOfBalance

Re: Favorite Pet Peeve

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

commonsense wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:33 pm What is your ‘favorite’ pet peeve?

As for me, the majority of my pet peeves—yes, there are many, I’m embarrassed to say—are related to grammar and punctuation.

I try, admittedly imperfectly, not to be a language cop or grammar Nazi. But when American English (i.e. the American version of the Queen’s English) is butchered, I figuratively—not literally—have a stroke.

And it’s the littlest of things that bothers me. Even what’s said verbally (wouldn’t ‘orally’ be more appropriate when referring to the spoken word?) can irk me.

“It’s not” sounds the same as “It’s snot” and that is why the proper contraction is “It isn’t”.

And in conclusion, we must always remember not to split infinitives.
What you have to understand, is that not all people are readers or writers. Some only ever speak and listen to the spoken word. While practice makes perfect, obviously you can see the problem in such cases.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

SpheresOfBalance wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:01 pm

And in conclusion, we must always remember not to split infinitives.
What you have to understand, is that not all people are readers or writers. Some only ever speak and listen to the spoken word. While practice makes perfect, obviously you can see the problem in such cases.
I know that. I also understand that language changes and certain pieces can become archaic. And in this forum there are members for whom English is not their primary language. Thanks for commenting.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

American bastardisation of the English language (although 'pet peeve' is a massive understatement).
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

I had a pet peeve once, but I stopped feeding it and it died

-Imp
Vali

Post by Vali »

There is a lot of philosophy in a spelling mistake ... mistakes are a way of life ... it's just a shame to lose your job because of that. How do they justify? Why? Why correctly?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Oxymoron, anyway my only pet is Donnie not peeve, daft name for a dog (peeve).

...but if we insist on favourite, it would be trying to convince Americans to piss off to the POLITICS section if they want to talk about their weird as fuck "government".
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Probably moralizing.

(Moralizing being "an overly critical point of view on issues of right and wrong, typically with an unfounded air of superiority.")
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:52 pm

...but if we insist on favourite, it would be trying to convince Americans to piss off to the POLITICS section if they want to talk about their weird as fuck "government".
Great post. Amen on Americans and Political Philosophy, and could we just have fewer threads.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

commonsense wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:11 pm

Great post. Amen on Americans and Political Philosophy, and could we just have fewer threads.
I like having a lot of threads/a lot of activity, but I wish there were more people regularly participating so we aren't just acting with the same handful of people all the time. Imagine if we had a couple hundred people contributing 10 or more posts every day.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Exactly. When I saw the thread title I thought they were looking for complaints about our 'favourite pets' eg 'The colour of my labradoodle clashes with the curtains. What should I do? '

Alas. RIP punctuation. I remember it well...
Vali

Post by Vali »

I only see "The Lounge" ... in the forums of philosophy and literature I see the humor ... but in the forums of music, metal, I see only the section of philosophy
seeds

Post by seeds »

Being a cranky old fart, I have several pet peeves. Here’s a couple:

1. Ads that pop-up on YouTube videos that advertise a way to block ads that pop-up on YouTube videos.

2. People who go through the 12 items or less self-checkout line at the grocery store with way more items than that (oh wait, I’ve done that myself – never mind :D :P).
_______
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Ok, but the thing that 'peeves' me off the most is misspelling favourite! :mrgreen:
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:18 pm

Ok, but the thing that 'peeves' me off the most is misspelling favourite! :mrgreen:
Ha! You thought my computer and I speak English?