Favorite Pet Peeve

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Favorite Pet Peeve

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:18 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:23 pm Americans are idiots. For some reason they can't grasp any of the the subtleties of the English language.
One example of many: You say 'on top OF a hill', because if you lengthen it you get 'on the top OF a hill'. Yet Americans insist on adding 'of' to sentences that shouldn't have it. 'inside OF the house'. This is NOT short for 'in the side OF the house', therefore the word 'of' is superfluous and ugly.
'THE DOG IS INSIDE THE HOUSE'. How difficult is that to understand???

Another example: DIFFERENT FROM, SIMILAR TO, and NEVER the obnoxious DIFFERENT THAN! UGH!

It's quite easy to remember. Different from--'away' from something. Similar to--TOwards something.

Ignoramuses.
Ya, my grammar is not always the best, but if Americans are going to start dumbing down, simplifying our beautiful language, then why did they 'or that dude - don't remember the idiots name that created some sort of American dictionary version or something, why did he draw the line with only certain words.

1. Favourite - Favorite.
2. Xenophobic - should be? zenofobic

...this could have been done throughout whatever American 'English' dictionary - Y did he stop at certain words? - perhaps he knew it was to simplify the language for the most common words that the dumb (about half of US population - as proven by the vote) use!
Noah Webster was the stupid p**** who destroyed the language. His McDikshinry was distributed to every school and now it's destroying English for the rest of the planet via the internet.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Ya, my grammar is not always the best, but if Americans are going to start dumbing down, simplifying our beautiful language, then why did they 'or that dude - don't remember the idiots name that created some sort of American dictionary version or something, why did he draw the line with only certain words.
idiot’s
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:44 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:23 pm Americans are idiots. For some reason they can't grasp any of the the subtleties of the English language.
One example of many: You say 'on top OF a hill', because if you lengthen it you get 'on the top OF a hill'. Yet Americans insist on adding 'of' to sentences that shouldn't have it. 'inside OF the house'. This is NOT short for 'in the side OF the house', therefore the word 'of' is superfluous and ugly.

Another example: DIFFERENT FROM, SIMILAR TO, and NEVER the obnoxious DIFFERENT THAN! UGH!

It's quite easy to remember. Different from--'away' from something. Similar to--TOwards something.

Ignoramuses.

1. Favourite - Favorite.
2. Xenophobic - should be? zenofobic

...this could have been done throughout whatever American 'English' dictionary - Y did he stop at certain words? - perhaps he knew it was to simplify the language for the most common words that the dumb (about half of US population - as proven by the vote) use!
Noah Webster was the stupid p**** who destroyed the language. His McDikshinry was distributed to every school and now it's destroying English for the rest of the planet via the internet.
Ah, in other words (nice pun!), just another American fucking up the planet in some way for DOLLAR$$$$$
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:49 am
idiot’s
Another American idiot who cant grasp a point. Oh my god, I missed an apostrophe. That makes it ok for yanks to butcher the language and make intelligent communication almost impossible.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:43 am
henry quirk wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:26 am

Ignoramuses.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:02 am I'm not autistic...
yeah, right... 😄
You obviously don't know what 'autism' is then. As a matter of fact it has become oh so fashionable to be an adult with 'autism'. *More self-indulgent 'me' bullshit. I care about language, the single most important tool for communication, and you care about shooting people (including your own family members, apparently). **And go [redacted].
*like this whole thread

**right back at ya, sis
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:52 am
idiot’s
Another American idiot who cant grasp a point. Oh my god, I missed an apostrophe. That makes it ok for yanks to butcher the language and make intelligent communication almost impossible.
The point is that your credibility regarding the English language is undercut by your own words. That’s the point that you made and missed.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:30 am

idiot’s
The point is that your credibility regarding the English language is undercut by your own words. That’s the point that you made and missed.
Only to an idiot and you don't get bigger idiots than Americans.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:35 am

Only from a bigot and there are none more bigoted than vegetarians, except for vegetarians from insignificant little continents where never is heard an educated word.
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:46 am

Only from a bigot and there are none more bigoted than vegetarians, except for vegetarians from insignificant little continents where never is heard an educated word.
I will spell it out for you then. A typo or genuine mistake is not the same thing as shitty grammar and spelling being accepted as correct. A grammatical error (or spelling mistake) does not alter the rules of grammar, any more than a wrong note alters the rules of music. So now disliking sloppy bullshit is 'bigotry'? Better look up your McDikshiry for that one...
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

:D lol!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Ignoramuses.
That should be "toward" not "towards." You English can't even get your own language right. I bet you think ain't ain't a word too. :P
vegetariantaxidermy

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:56 am

Ignoramuses.
That should be "toward" not "towards." You English can't even get your own language right. I bet you think ain't ain't a word too. :P
What is 'toward'? Is that a word?
ps. I'm not English. I only speak English. Hint: The English language and English nationality are two different things.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:49 am

I will spell it out for you then. A typo or genuine mistake is not the same thing as shitty grammar and spelling being accepted as correct. A grammatical error (or spelling mistake) does not alter the rules of grammar, any more than a wrong note alters the rules of music. So now disliking sloppy bullshit is 'bigotry'? Better look up your McDikshiry for that one...
How do you tell the difference between a typo by someone who simply overlooked a detail from a typo by a moron?
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:54 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:49 am

How do you tell the difference between a typo by someone who simply overlooked a detail from a typo by a moron?
How do you know when someone is an idiot with no reading comprehension skills?
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:35 am Only to an idiot and you don't get bigger idiots than Americans.
An American boy/man petting his peeve, Hollywood style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1EyN9xTK94

"It's not the note you play that's the wrong note - it's the note you play afterwards that makes it right or wrong."
- Miles Davis