deleted 403

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Luxin

deleted 403

Post by Luxin »

deleted 403
Last edited by Luxin on Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Luxin

deleted 403

Post by Luxin »

deleted 403
Last edited by Luxin on Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luxin

deleted 403

Post by Luxin »

deleted 403
Last edited by Luxin on Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sculptor

Re: Hate Campaigns Here at PN

Post by Sculptor »

Dubious wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:24 am The pictures are fantastic! I saved most of them! Vultures are among the most valuable animals on the planet. They too are going extinct. What's thriving most beyond comprehension is human stupidity. It's the teachings and power of ancient myths which require a modern renaissance in the human psyche.
Christian ideology has caused and is continuing to cause mass extinctions.
The OT drips with blood, sacrifice and desoloation page by page.
.... And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth..... And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Not the sort of GREEN message that is going to win climate change and mass extinction crises.

I think worst than this is the idea that the earth is just a temporary testing ground for the few who will be blessed with eternal life. Such people have little regard for the long term future of the earth, or indeed humanity.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:46 pm
Dubious wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:24 am The pictures are fantastic! I saved most of them! Vultures are among the most valuable animals on the planet. They too are going extinct. What's thriving most beyond comprehension is human stupidity. It's the teachings and power of ancient myths which require a modern renaissance in the human psyche.
.... And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth..... And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Not the sort of GREEN message that is going to win climate change and mass extinction crises.

I think worst than this is the idea that the earth is just a temporary testing ground for the few who will be blessed with eternal life. Such people have little regard for the long term future of the earth, or indeed humanity.
..and therein lies the great irony, we do reap what we sow...reincarnation upon this planet.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

:roll:
attofishpi wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:31 pm

..and therein lies the great irony, we do reap what we sow...reincarnation upon this planet.
:roll:
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

I'm not talking about the OT which resembles a saga much more than myth. I think it's a mistake to regard the OT as myth even though there may be a few mythic elements in it! What I'm thinking of and referring to are the ancient myths as described by the likes of Joseph Campbell and C.G. Jung among many others.

The adoption of the OT and to some extent the NT in the Western Canon has not done the West the least bit of good. The opposite is true. It's a primitive tome but it served its purpose in Jewish identity and integration. It was never designed or written for anyone else. To call it, as they have for generations, The Good Book is a misnomer, a non-sequitur and an oxymoron.

Most secular Jews remain Jews by tradition and not by belief, so, in short, I have no argument with your arguments especially the last sentence.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dubious wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:56 pm

I'm not talking about the OT which resembles a saga much more than myth. I think it's a mistake to regard the OT as myth even though there may be a few mythic elements in it! What I'm thinking of and referring to are the ancient myths as described by the likes of Joseph Campbell and C.G. Jung among many others.

The adoption of the OT and to some extent the NT in the Western Canon has not done the West the least bit of good. The opposite is true. It's a primitive tome but it served its purpose in Jewish identity and integration. It was never designed or written for anyone else. To call it, as they have for generations, The Good Book is a misnomer, a non-sequitur and an oxymoron.

Most secular Jews remain Jews by tradition and not by belief, so, in short, I have no argument with your arguments especially the last sentence.
It's not relevant who is was supposedly written for. It is, nonetheless, sadly used by the Judeo/Christian "civilisation" and is sacred to Islam also. Since these are together the dominant cultures, and are given to the same destructive capitalism that is now also adopted by the ever growing China I see little hope for the world.

As to its mythical quality - you do know that Exodus is now taken as total myth Jews never being part of Egypt.
There is nothing about a myth that necessitates it being fictional though. Like most sagas of the ancient world, sages are generally mythical such as the Illiad and Odyssey. Greeks did seige Troy but there were no talking horses, or sea god in real life.