What is the only decent purpose for living as a human being?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: What is the only decent purpose for living as a human being?

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:05 am
Aside from reading philosophy, most of my reading falls into one of two basic categories; historical and sci-fi. They both take me out of the present, and minimise the thought of the limitedness of existence.
I really do understand that, so thanks for sharing your thoughts. I feel this when I'm playing the video game. :D

I feel that there is no other purpose to human existence except to daydream just because they can. We can literally do and go anywhere we like without moving a muscle just using our imagination. And of course by watching what is posted on the internet by other people.

I especially like watching things like this.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9VumpR1TMc
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

I looked up Animal Crossing.
It seems "The main goal of the game, if there is one, is to fully upgrade your house and pay off your debt for each upgrade". Sounds far too much like real life to me.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:35 am I looked up Animal Crossing.
It seems "The main goal of the game, if there is one, is to fully upgrade your house and pay off your debt for each upgrade". Sounds far too much like real life to me.
LOL...yes but it's a game where you are in complete control of it's outcome. I like the idea of Terraforming my own little world the way I personally want it to be. Rather than the reality of real life where I am born into a world that is not of my making.

But that's just part of who I am as a personality. :D
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

We might as well ask: What is the only decent purpose for living as a tiger... or an eagle... or a dolphin.

There is no decency or purpose required for life... it just is. Yes??

I love gaming, online or in person, but haven't had much time for it online lately (except for coming here to the forum :) ).

I have found that gaming skills come in handy in maneuvering through life... and in considering philosophy. For example: In this game of life, we continually are dealt cards/situations, which we play to the best of our ability. Throughout the game, we gather powers which can aid our strategy, and which unveil new "worlds" where more treasures and abilities and tools can be found. We can be any character we choose, but we must earn our "advancement".

Also useful, it seems, is the gaming mindset, when looking at life. We get lots of "lives"/chances/moments/years to try again/anew. We are not locked into what we've created or explored before. It's not ultimately serious, it's play. We can play whatever game we want (that we are capable of seeing, at any given moment). We have access to a vast supply of enhancements and tools to aid in crafting our experience, if we choose characters and paths capable of discovering such things. Even though we cannot control everything about the game, we are continually challenged to do/create our best wherever we are, and become better. There is always more to discover.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:39 pm We might as well ask: What is the only decent purpose for living as a tiger... or an eagle... or a dolphin.

Welcome in Lace, it's bin a while. . nice to see you back, I thought you' might of died of covid, thankfully you haven't..:D yes i agree with the principle that life just is.

However, for the purveyors of knowledge, where meaning is imposed upon the meaningless, my purpose as human , is to live for a living that feels good to do.
In the same context, tigers do tiger things, and dolphins do dolphin things, and people do people things..there's nothing more to this than that. I just like playing around with ideas and use my knowledge to convey those ideas. :)
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:39 pm
I love gaming, online or in person, but haven't had much time for it online lately (except for coming here to the forum :) ).

I have found that gaming skills come in handy in maneuvering through life... and in considering philosophy. For example: In this game of life, we continually are dealt cards/situations, which we play to the best of our ability. Throughout the game, we gather powers which can aid our strategy, and which unveil new "worlds" where more treasures and abilities and tools can be found. We can be any character we choose, but we must earn our "advancement".

Also useful, it seems, is the gaming mindset, when looking at life. We get lots of "lives"/chances/moments/years to try again/anew. We are not locked into what we've created or explored before. It's not ultimately serious, it's play. We can play whatever game we want (that we are capable of seeing, at any given moment). We have access to a vast supply of enhancements and tools to aid in crafting our experience, if we choose characters and paths capable of discovering such things. Even though we cannot control everything about the game, we are continually challenged to do/create our best wherever we are, and become better. There is always more to discover.
Very nicely put, thanks for sharing that, I resonate with your ideas. So a big thumbs up to your comment. :)
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:50 pm Welcome in Lace, it's bin a while. . nice to see you back, I thought you' might of died of covid, thankfully you haven't..:D
Thanks.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:50 pmtigers do tiger things, and dolphins do dolphin things, and people do people things..there's nothing more to this than that.
I like that.

So, hmm... I wonder... what would we say are "people things"? And are such conclusions how we limit and/or delude ourselves?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:56 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:50 pm Welcome in Lace, it's bin a while. . nice to see you back, I thought you' might of died of covid, thankfully you haven't..:D
Thanks.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:50 pmtigers do tiger things, and dolphins do dolphin things, and people do people things..there's nothing more to this than that.
I like that.

So, hmm... I wonder... what would we say are "people things"? And are such conclusions how we limit and/or delude ourselves?
I personally think ''people things'' ..are a private issue, and that what people do is their own business, and no one elses business. However, for me personally, I feel limited to what I can do as a person because the things to do are so endless and vast. The main life principle that I always try to adopt is to just be in the present moment, and only think about things when I need to remember something. Oh and to never physically harm another sentient creature. And just knowing I am a harmless being gives my life a purpose to be, and that purpose is just to make my life as comfortable as I can. I know I can only control myself. I know it is me who has to take full responsibilty for my own actions. I know I have no power to change the way other people choose to live their life. Mental attitude is of prime importance to me, because I know that if that goes, I'm done. I like to keep my 6th sense clean, and prefer to stay invisible. That's why I like being here at the forum where I can share my knowledge with like minded folk. Without moving a muscle. :)

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

I'm very aware that some of the things I say here are very abstract, and nonsensical to most people.

And I think that is because we all live in our own little reality bubbles that is our own personal purpose for being.

Having said that, I am also aware that some people choose evil actions as their purpose for being, it's never a black and white world for human being, there's lots of really weird grey areas too. . I tend to avoid those grey types of people as much as I can. :D
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:14 pm I personally think ''people things'' ..are a private issue, and that what people do is their own business, and no one elses business. However, for me personally, I feel limited to what I can do as a person because the things to do are so endless and vast. The main life principle that I always try to adopt is to just be in the present moment, and only think about things when I need to remember something. Oh and to never physically harm another sentient creature. And just knowing I am a harmless being gives my life a purpose to be, and that purpose is just to make my life as comfortable as I can. I know I can only control myself. I know it is me who has to take full responsibilty for my own actions. I know I have no power to change the way other people choose to live their life. Mental attitude is of prime importance to me, because I know that if that goes, I'm done. I like to keep my 6th sense clean, and prefer to stay invisible. That's why I like being here at the forum where I can share my knowledge with like minded folk. Without moving a muscle. :)
:) Sounds like a nice way to be.

I think "people things" are indeed a vast range of possibilities... and that's what makes it so intriguing when seeing what people choose.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:28 pm :) Sounds like a nice way to be.

I think "people things" are indeed a vast range of possibilities... and that's what makes it so intriguing when seeing what people choose.
:D
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:21 pm And I think that is because we all live in our own little reality bubbles that is our own personal purpose for being.
Probably so.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:21 pmHaving said that, I am also aware that some people choose evil actions as their purpose for being
Yes, and they may not even see it as evil.

My comment about "limiting or deluding ourselves with our conclusions" was in regard to what people might believe of other people or of themselves. The identities they imagine/create, and how such identities impact and limit ability and reality.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:40 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:21 pm And I think that is because we all live in our own little reality bubbles that is our own personal purpose for being.
Probably so.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:21 pmHaving said that, I am also aware that some people choose evil actions as their purpose for being
Yes, and they may not even see it as evil.

My comment about "limiting or deluding ourselves with our conclusions" was in regard to what people might believe of other people or of themselves. The identities they imagine/create, and how such identities impact and limit ability and reality.
I agree lacey. :D

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:39 pm We might as well ask: What is the only decent purpose for living as a tiger... or an eagle... or a dolphin.

Seems to be an, obvious, 'purpose theme' running through this.

I wonder who else can SEE it?

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:56 pm
Thanks.
I like that.

The 'people' things, up to the days of when this is being written, still have NOT even worked out what the 'people' things ACTUALLY ARE YET.

After 'you', 'people' things, work this out, then 'you' will also be ABLE TO SEE just how limited and deluded you REALLY ARE and REALLY HAVE BEEN.