Happy Birthday America

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RickLewis
Posts: 481
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:07 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Happy Birthday America

Post by RickLewis »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:50 am yes, as an American ignoramous. i have noted via YT docs that your NI parlement has not conveined in like - how many years now?

why not? i do not understand.

NI parlement building is pretty! does it just stand there empty for the last decade? (i assume there are janitors to keep the building clean at least)

please school me as an ignorant American, what the fuck is the deal with NI parlement not conveining/pretty buidling being empty - for what? 10-15 yrs now?

school me!!!!!!!!!!!!

please, no really school me!!!! i value learning!
Hi gaffo. The NI Assembly was suspended from Jan 2017 to Jan 2020, due to a disagreement between the two largest parties (the DUP and Sinn Fein) that prevented them from cooperating as they had ben doing previously. However, it has been up and running again for the last six months.
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9151
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Happy Birthday America

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:36 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:29 am
Nick_A wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:32 pm For those who still value the principles America was founded upon we have to admit the party is over. I'll post this link for anyone who still remembers. America was a good idea. The people weren't ready for it. Statist slavery here we come.

https://americanmind.org/features/prese ... y-of-life/
I thought it was built on slavery. Silly me.
you do know that the United Kingdom - that includes your nation at that time - had slavery until 1840/41 (only 20 yrs before America).

so note the speck/beam madam.

BTW Portugal was the last nation to outlaw slavery - 1889 - via Brazil (and no Portugal was not Racist (just opportunist), they enslaved and worked to death American Indians from 1500-1700, they just worked them to death and had to import more folks to work the mines - and West Aftricans were there to fill the need).
I couldn't care less. Just responding to what the other poster said and pointing out a fact. I've never understood how it could call itself 'land of the free'. I don't 'have' a nation. And my ancestry is Irish, not British. It's also a bit silly to include every country that was part of the British Empire as part of the 'United Kingdom' and say that they had slavery and everything else the poms had just because they English had it. NZ barely existed in 1840.
gaffo
Posts: 3488
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Happy Birthday America

Post by gaffo »

RickLewis wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:34 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:50 am yes, as an American ignoramous. i have noted via YT docs that your NI parlement has not conveined in like - how many years now?

why not? i do not understand.

NI parlement building is pretty! does it just stand there empty for the last decade? (i assume there are janitors to keep the building clean at least)

please school me as an ignorant American, what the fuck is the deal with NI parlement not conveining/pretty buidling being empty - for what? 10-15 yrs now?

school me!!!!!!!!!!!!

please, no really school me!!!! i value learning!
Hi gaffo. The NI Assembly was suspended from Jan 2017 to Jan 2020, due to a disagreement between the two largest parties (the DUP and Sinn Fein) that prevented them from cooperating as they had ben doing previously. However, it has been up and running again for the last six months.
Thanks for schooling me Rick!

DUP - Ulsters, and Sinn Fein Irishish independantants.

I know of them - thanks for the reference to them and why the deadlock. (I'm not Irish nor a Brit/UK lander - just an American Joe - but would like to know more about the deadlock - what and why - over what issue?

and if you know, how a deadlock between 2 parties (I assume there are 2-5 others parties in the NI lands - though much smaller, how can the 2 big shut down a parlement where there are more parties representing "the people" of Northern Ireland (yes my question is a legal one - as an ignorant American, loving schooling on non american legalisms).

------and YA!!!!!!!!!! for the NI Parlement being reopened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I did not know this! -thanls for the headup on it reopening.


Gov in the ideal is intended to represent her People, and an empty PArlement is not serve The People.

happly she is re-opened, and so in the ideal able to now function as a rep ot the People.


ya, i'm an idealist, and know our many gov's (pick your nation) does not represent nor champion the people (but of course should!) (just that a closed building is so much sadder).

thanks for the reply and education and happy NI parlement building is now open for service - now if it will now serve her people is another manter.

step 1 in 100 steps ;-/.
gaffo
Posts: 3488
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Happy Birthday America

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:52 am I don't 'have' a nation.
No? i though you were a Kiwi?

if not my bad,

if you do not live in NZ, what is your nationality?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:52 am And my ancestry is Irish, not British.
as are mine, but for me in could'nt care less. I'm an American first formost - as i would be if my ancestors were Swaheli or Andorian.

America was a Briish colony, as New Zealand - not an Irish colony.

I value historical facts myself.

so your point?

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:52 am It's also a bit silly to include every country that was part of the British Empire as part of the 'United Kingdom' and say that they had slavery and everything else the poms had just because they English had it. NZ barely existed in 1840.
Its not silly, it history Madam.

Australia was foundied when? 1784? 0 NZ when??????????? shorty after? - any Kiwis here the know history (and ausies - my yr post is a guess - school me please to the actual date) fill me in - veg does not seem interested in historical fact.

i.e. we know that NZ was incorporated into the United Kingdom prior to 1840/41? - and so by default had slavery for at least 1/2 century.


I value facts - as in the real world facts of history.

do you Madam?

- note your "pom" reference, i like and only learn of it last year - poms= brits?

Kiwi slang does not cross the Pacific to the Americas.
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9151
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Happy Birthday America

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Madman.
gaffo
Posts: 3488
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Happy Birthday America

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:15 am Madman.
I know you can't help yourself, so if you think i'm mad, thats ok.

------------

and so to the actual point, I am correct and you did not refute.

NZ had slavery up to 1841.

thanks for playing.
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9151
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Happy Birthday America

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

gaffo wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:56 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:15 am Madman.
I know you can't help yourself, so if you think i'm mad, thats ok.

------------

and so to the actual point, I am correct and you did not refute.

NZ had slavery up to 1841.

thanks for playing.
Yes. The Maori kept slaves.
Post Reply